US Rocky Mountain Summer trip to WY/MT (Not Yellowstone) - Overland route and campsite suggestions

• HTML tutorial

SemperCoasty

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Full Time Traveler
First Name
John
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNA234
Service Branch
USCG
Following this thread! I'll be leaving La Porte, Indiana soon and making pretty much the same trip. I'm heading the the Kalispell, MT area, Bigfork specifically to say hi to a friend first. After that I'll be exploring the area and trails looking for the perfect camp spot. I'm just waiting for some supplies I ordered to show up in the mail then hitting the road. Hopefully leaving the week of the 12th. I'll be in a white jeep grand cherokee and easily recognizable by the black pug hanging out the window :tongueclosed:

Reactions: MeliMK and DRAX

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Following this thread! I'll be leaving La Porte, Indiana soon and making pretty much the same trip. I'm heading the the Kalispell, MT area, Bigfork specifically to say hi to a friend first. After that I'll be exploring the area and trails looking for the perfect camp spot. I'm just waiting for some supplies I ordered to show up in the mail then hitting the road. Hopefully leaving the week of the 12th. I'll be in a white jeep grand cherokee and easily recognizable by the black pug hanging out the window :tongueclosed:

Bigfork, nice area, Check out Red Meadow Lake to the North and camping at Coopers Lake to the south near Ovando is nice too. Although no camping Clearwater Lake , between Condon and Seely Lake is worth the short hike. Remember this IS grizzly territory! Holland Lake while nice is very developed.

Reactions: SemperCoasty

SemperCoasty

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Full Time Traveler
First Name
John
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNA234
Service Branch
USCG

Bigfork, nice area, Check out Red Meadow Lake to the North and camping at Coopers Lake to the south near Ovando is nice too. Although no camping Clearwater Lake , between Condon and Seely Lake is worth the short hike. Remember this IS grizzly territory! Holland Lake while nice is very developed.
Thanks for the info, I’ll check them out! I’m a fly fisherman so camp areas with lakes are a huge plus!

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
I'll keep my eyes (and ears) open for ya! I'll have my ham radio on the 2m national calling frequency as well as be sending/receiving APRS beacons whenever I'm on the road. We'll be leaving Illinois probably on the 10th as long as we're all packed up and ready to go.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I guess you travelers heard about the grizzly attack? In Ovando, MT, griz dragged a 65yo female cyclist from her tent and killed her. They found and killed the bear. Be careful out there, DO NOT KEEP FOOD WHERE YOU SLEEP! That goes for toothpaste, deodorant and the like. That bear can smell the french fry you dropped between the seats 2 months ago. Buy some bear spray, keep it handy, learn how to use it. Bears do not just come around at night.

Safe travels!

Here are 2 pictures I took in the area while cycling the GDMBR, Cooper Lake bear hang and bear track.

164.JPG165.JPG

SemperCoasty

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Full Time Traveler
First Name
John
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNA234
Service Branch
USCG
I guess you travelers heard about the grizzly attack? In Ovando, MT, griz dragged a 65yo female cyclist from her tent and killed her. They found and killed the bear. Be careful out there, DO NOT KEEP FOOD WHERE YOU SLEEP! That goes for toothpaste, deodorant and the like. That bear can smell the french fry you dropped between the seats 2 months ago. Buy some bear spray, keep it handy, learn how to use it. Bears do not just come around at night.

Safe travels!

Here are 2 pictures I took in the area while cycling the GDMBR, Cooper Lake bear hang and bear track.

View attachment 203755View attachment 203756
Yes I did read about that attack! Feel a little more uneasy about sleeping in a ground tent now!
Anyone know where I can find an off-road camper trailer that’s actually in stock? Lol