Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Thanks everyone for all of the input! After much consideration I finally decided on a 2018 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. I’ve had it for about a week now and it’s been amazing. Factory e locker is pretty cool and I paid $5-10k less than I would’ve for an equivalent wrangler or taco. I didn’t spring for the luxury package (leather seats, sunroof, roof rack) but I didn’t wait until I found one in arctic blue and I am so glad I did. It’s a beautiful truck.

Now it’s time to start modding! I mounted my hi lift jack in the bed and put a tonneau cover on it but that’s it so far. Trying to find a camper shell to put on it with a roof rack so I can mount my ARB awning. The tonneau cover only cost me $40 used so if I find a shell I can sell the cover and probably get all of my money back.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Congrats on you’re new truck! I have had great luck from the Datsun/ Nissan vehicles I have had! Vance.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Thanks everyone for all of the input! After much consideration I finally decided on a 2018 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. I’ve had it for about a week now and it’s been amazing. Factory e locker is pretty cool and I paid $5-10k less than I would’ve for an equivalent wrangler or taco. I didn’t spring for the luxury package (leather seats, sunroof, roof rack) but I didn’t wait until I found one in arctic blue and I am so glad I did. It’s a beautiful truck.

Now it’s time to start modding! I mounted my hi lift jack in the bed and put a tonneau cover on it but that’s it so far. Trying to find a camper shell to put on it with a roof rack so I can mount my ARB awning. The tonneau cover only cost me $40 used so if I find a shell I can sell the cover and probably get all of my money back.
Pics or it didn't happen :P

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Very nice! I really like that colour. The Frontier is a nice looking truck. I think it would be one of only two pickups I'd ever consider owning. Thanks for the pic! :D
Thanks! I love the color. I didn’t know for sure that I wanted a Frontier until I finally looked at this one. I really like the seating position and feeling of it all. I test drove a couple wranglers and a Tacoma and they just didn’t feel as good to me. The wrangler felt terrible on the road and was loud and the Tacoma felt a little too much like a car.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Matthew Reed,
You’re new truck really looks great! Should make for a great daily driver and Overlanding vehicle! Vance.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Matthew Reed,
You’re new truck really looks great! Should make for a great daily driver and Overlanding vehicle! Vance.
Thanks! I’m still holding on to the Cherokee for a little while but it’s nice to know that if it goes down for a weekend I won’t have to cancel my plans (like I did 2 weeks ago)

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Good choice. I was just going to pipe in and say the fronty pro-x is probably the best use of money on a overall vehicle today. Here anyways, they are the least expensive pickup you can buy. There is some aftermarket for it (enough). it's quite comfortable and has some off road chops from the lot. Pop on a good lift and tires, and you are golden. I have been ping ponging like i mofo looking at vehicles. I won't be ready for 2 years as long as the escape does not crack in half. We had a pro x out about a month ago and loved it. It's the perfect size for us. the only thing I have to figure out is how to match up the rack on the roof to a rack on the truck cap we are putting on. I need to carry 2 kayaks up there.

I agree on all points on your assesments of the other vehicles. The wrangler. I owned one and put 298,000 on it. Yep its unstoppable off road. I hate that I owned one for so long and logged many miles off road in it because every other vehicle I drive SUCKS compared to it off road. NOW, put it on road, and it's a brick and tiring. The tacoma. Rides like a 2 x 4 x 8 on it's edge. Like all toyotas. They just don't have their suspension tuning figured out yet. They have the seat about 6" from the floor so they can get head room and break over hight. it's like your lying down in it instead of sitting in it. the colorado, seats were terrible and it was just not ergonomically acceptable for me. I could not get comfortable in it. Plus, it's a chev and it will let you down when you need it most. That brings the fronty. Comfortable, ride is quite good off the showroom floor, has a little less room, suspension needs work to be acceptable to me off road, has enough power, every option is included for 38,000 plus tax which is a STEAL!!!! plus, not everyone is driving the fronty. They are an exclusive club. HA HA. Overall, it's the best of evevrything wrapped into one.

Last edited:

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

I just came across a 2015 Xtera Pro4x. It has 40k miles on it.

Wife and I were looking for a 4runner about that year or a little newer, but the price. Ouch.

Can't get the wife into a truck (she will be driving the new rig mostly).

What are your thoughts?

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

I just came across a 2015 Xtera Pro4x. It has 40k miles on it.

Wife and I were looking for a 4runner about that year or a little newer, but the price. Ouch.

Can't get the wife into a truck (she will be driving the new rig mostly).

What are your thoughts?
I haven’t driven the xterras but I would assume they handle similar to the Frontier but with a shorter wheelbase. The Frontier is great on and off-road. I love the space it gives me and the capabilities. I looked really into getting on but my wife doesn’t like the way they look. I dig them

Reactions: Captstout

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

I haven’t driven the xterras but I would assume they handle similar to the Frontier but with a shorter wheelbase. The Frontier is great on and off-road. I love the space it gives me and the capabilities. I looked really into getting on but my wife doesn’t like the way they look. I dig them
Same issue I have. I can't afford to have a dedicated Rig. It will be driven on a regular basis (for now).

Thank you for the info.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Good choice. The same one I would have picked.

The Xterra is similar, but heavier.
The Jeep is terrible for hwy.
The Colorado isn't reliable.
The Taco is overrated and too pricey.
Montero's are too old and unreliable.
The Explorer is disposable consumer grade junk. Ford will gladly make junk if you ask them to.

Maybe a new Ranger would have been another good choice. But outside of budget.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

The Explorer is disposable consumer grade junk. Ford will gladly make junk if you ask them to.

I drove a few newer ranger on my last deployment. I know the American version are probably way different but I didn’t like them

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Wife won't do a truck.

I am tossing around the Xtera or a 2016 4runner (Trail or TRD off road, whatever they call it in 2016). The price diff is 7-10k depending