Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

The time has come for me to start looking for a new rig and I’d like some suggestions! I’d like something that can replace my two current vehicles (currently have a dedicated Overland rig and my daily for commuting). I’m looking at selling off both of my vehicles and buying one that I can use for camping excursions and use as a daily driver for a little while. Right now I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and a 2015 Ford Fiesta ST. Both have been pretty good to me, but the Cherokee is a pain on longer trips and I need more space day to day than the fiesta can provide.

Budget: ~$25k
Goals: reliability and comfort. Should be comfortable enough to drive to work and make the occasional 3+ hour trip to semi remote camping spots without worrying about breakdowns.
Off-road capability: I usually don’t see anything more than some rutted dirt roads. 4x4 is a necessity but no real need for lockers, 33+ inch tires, etc. We ground tent right now due to the dogs so ability to add an RTT isn’t a priority.

I’d prefer it to be 2015 and up. Main reason for my change is that I’m getting kind of tired of fixing things after every trip. Reliability is my main goal. Modified cars are always gonna break, but my Jeep breaks a little too often.

Current list of candidates:
Nissan Frontier Pro-4x. Comes with a factory rear locker and plenty of room for gear/passengers/doggos

Nissan Xterra. Same as above.

Ford Explorer. Loses some of the off-road abilities but would probably be more comfortable day to day. Gas mileage is a little better.

Grand Cherokee. I don’t have a lot of experience with newer Jeeps. Still had plenty of aftermarket support though and they can be pretty good overland rigs.

Colorado/Canyon. Still a little pricy for the 4wd models and I haven’t heard very much good about how they handle stock off road. Otherwise they would be a good alternative to the Frontier.

Any other suggestions? I’ve more or less eliminated the Tacoma and 4Runner due to price. Getting a 4wd and a quad cab for the truck is a little too pricey. Same goes for full size trucks. Most of them in my budget have an ungodly high number of miles or are 2wd.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

I'm in the same mode right now. Looking for a rig that can replace my 2000 XJ, because, well you know.

My budget is a bit lower than yours but for the money, availability, selection and aftermarket support the Grand Cherokee is coming out ahead. Hope to gain some insights through your thread.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

I'm in the same mode right now. Looking for a rig that can replace my 2000 XJ, because, well you know.

My budget is a bit lower than yours but for the money, availability, selection and aftermarket support the Grand Cherokee is coming out ahead. Hope to gain some insights through your thread.
There are definitely a lot of Grand Cherokees out there. I’m torn because there are plenty of suvs that would be a lot more comfy on road but wouldn’t have the capabilities of a body in frame truck. It’s the only thing I worry about with the Grand Cherokee or the explorer.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

There are definitely a lot of Grand Cherokees out there. I’m torn because there are plenty of suvs that would be a lot more comfy on road but wouldn’t have the capabilities of a body in frame truck. It’s the only thing I worry about with the Grand Cherokee or the explorer.
I agree, but having a XJ it's never been a problem. Other than rocker rust!

I had a '96 Explorer and never had an issue either and I swear it was the best AWD vechile I ever owned.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

I agree, but having a XJ it's never been a problem. Other than rocker rust!

I had a '96 Explorer and never had an issue either and I swear it was the best AWD vechile I ever owned.
Luckily I haven’t had any rust issues with mine. I had a 97 explorer with the 5.0. Converted from awd to 4wd and it was a beast. Bought it for $800 and it was probably the most reliable vehicle I ever owned.

Reactions: Motoboss

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
See if you can contact @Canyon_Cliff . He can give you long term reliability and mod's for the Colorado/Canyon.

Scott
I love my 2015 Canyon.
With a lift and good tires it is a great off roader. I have the BDS 5.5 inch lift and 32" BFG Ko2s and the only time I have gotten stuck was in deep mud.
Been through the Afton canyon water crossing, once when stock, and twice since lifted, with no issues.
It is my everyday driver and I also tow my 17', 3800 lb. trailer, offroad too.
20190211_094107.jpeg20170621_133541.jpeg20181006_132233.jpeg20181026_110054.jpeg

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

I love my 2015 Canyon.
With a lift and good tires it is a great off roader. I have the BDS 5.5 inch lift and 32" BFG Ko2s and the only time I have gotten stuck was in deep mud.
Been through the Afton canyon water crossing, once when stock, and twice since lifted, with no issues.
It is my everyday driver and I also tow my 17', 3800 lb. trailer, offroad too.
How was the install on that lift? Seeing yours makes me reconsider my previous thoughts on it. I found a cheap Z71 in my area. It’s a 2018 but has body damage on nearly every panel. Someone was obviously not kind to it. Might still be worth looking at though.

resqr1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

In that price range with those trades you should be able to get into a Tacoma or Four Runner. Not new, but lightly used. And most people never use them to their potential, so some aspects could be like-new. I drove a Four Runner TRD Off Road last year for a trip. It was an awesome vehicle.

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
How was the install on that lift? Seeing yours makes me reconsider my previous thoughts on it. I found a cheap Z71 in my area. It’s a 2018 but has body damage on nearly every panel. Someone was obviously not kind to it. Might still be worth looking at though.
Installation took two days with help from a friend with a lift. Not too difficult. there was a little cutting necessary, but, mainly un-bolting and bolting on. The rear is lifted 4" and the front 5-1/2" which levels it out. To lift the rear it is just 4" blocks at the axle-to-spring connection. The front is more involved because the front axle is actually lowered, along with the lower control arms. Also, the transfer case is rotated slightly to reduce the angle of the front drive shaft. I have Fox shocks on the rear, but, am still using the OEM front struts. Still handles really well at high speeds on the highway. I am not a rock crawler, so, I mainly stick to offroad trails that are not extreme. However, I have been on many difficult trails and the truck has never let me down. It climbs hills really well with low range. My truck has the optional "G-80" rear axle which has an automatic mechanical locking differential. This is pretty standard for all GM trucks with 4WD or towing packages. The axle will automatically lock whenever one wheel loses traction and starts to spin. Works great and you rarely notice it when it actuates.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Matthew Reed

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Reed
Member #

In that price range with those trades you should be able to get into a Tacoma or Four Runner. Not new, but lightly used. And most people never use them to their potential, so some aspects could be like-new. I drove a Four Runner TRD Off Road last year for a trip. It was an awesome vehicle.
There are a few 2015s that’s I’ve seen going for around $25k but definitely no TRDs. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a good deal. I’m leaning more towards a truck right now as I do a lot of home improvement and landscaping projects that it would come in handy for. So right not the Colorado/canyon, frontier pro4x, and Taco are my top picks. Just need to wait for a good one to pop up with all the options I want.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Sounds like you really want a newer vehicle this time around. The vehicle I’m suggesting is not newer, but would be my top choice anyway. Are you ready? 95’-97’ Toyota FJ80 series, LandCruiser. With a budget of 25k, you could find one with lots of mods already done and in sweet shape. Vance.

Jeepjk16

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor I

Panhandle FL, USA
Member #

Well I would suggest an "old" TJ that's 97-99 with a 4.0L IL6 for around 6 to 8k and just mod that out and you can definitely build that up to a 25,000 budget and you can have it lifted, modded out and definitely make it ride comfortable. Ultimately it is your budget and taste, good luck!

Danavision

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventura, CA
Member #

I haave a 18' Z71 Colorado and love it. I've taken it a lot of places stock, and the only problem is the length (I have a 4 door with long bed) and I lost the air dam the first time off road. I added the Eibach leveling kit and that really helped the truck off and on road. I just got back from Death Valley and didn't have any problems, and that is with stock tires. I chose the Colorado over the Tacoma because it has better seats, and Apple Car Play. Dumb reasons, but I commute a long way for work. I like my heated seats and podcasts! The only thing I would say about the Tacoma is there are a lot more aftermarket items for it. I get frustrated seeing the cool things that you can get for the Toyotas and not for the Colorados. I'm hoping that over time, the aftermarket will catch up to the Colorados. Good luck with your decision.

luchaDor

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

Urbandale, IA 50323, USA
First Name
Doran
Last Name
Else
Member #

Have you considered a Commander? Decent aftermarket support, and lots more interior room. A 2010 w/Hemi & QDII would be very capable stock.

Reactions: Lead K9

Melro Panday

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

American Canyon, CA, USA
First Name
ROMMEL
Last Name
ANDAYA
Member #

I know you want 2015 and newer but the older Lexus GX's looks comfortable, affordable and lots of aftermarket parts. Lots of these GXs have never seen offroad.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Not sure if you are still looking. But add me on for the Colorado. I have a ‘17 Z71. The aftermarket support is more than enough, although some complain about it being too little. Any questions about why I chose a Colorado Z71 over a Tacoma/4Runner/Zr2 let me know.