Suggestions - Camping trip along the Western/Eastern Sierras - July 2017

• HTML tutorial

ShredHead

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm in the process of planning a road trip from Sacramento, CA to the southern end of the Sierras and then heading west to Lake Nacimiento (Paso Robles, CA) to meet up with family for some camping on the lake. I plan to leave the Saturday before the 4th of July and spend the whole week camping along the Sierras before heading west. I would like to camp 4-5 days total, starting on the western side and head east via highway 108 from Sonora. From there, I will camp along the Eastern Sierras for a few days heading further south each day. After I get to the S. end of the Sierras, I may head west via highway 178 (Isabella-Walker Pass Rd) towards Lake Isabella. Once towards Lake Isabella, I would like to camp somewhere along the Kern River. After all this, i will head west to Lake Nacimiento for the last 4 days.

Roads I plan to take:
99 South > 120 East OR 108 East > 395 South > 178 West > I-5 North then to 46 West to Paso Robles.

I'm aware that it will be pretty crowded most places since it's a Holiday week, so anywhere somewhat secluded that I can pitch a tent for a night would be nice.

I drive a 5th gen 4runner with AT tires, lift, skids, sliders, etc. so I am not as limited as others to where I can camp. However, I will be solo (girlfriend and I) so I don't want to take any trails that have a high potential of getting stuck. I have some recovery gear (recovery strap, shackles, maxtrax, compressor) but no winch or high-lift.

A few things that I would like to have/do along the way, but not required:
-Close to water
-Shade
-Good fishing spots
-Hiking/Rock Climbing
-Hot springs
-Not too far from gas/resources
-Campfires allowed (with permit)

Any tips, favorite spots, good fishing/soaking spots, etc. would be greatly appreciated! My plans are pretty flexible so I may change my routes slightly if there are spots that are a "must see" along the way.

Thanks!!