Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Lurking around the forums, like you do... I was thinking that down in the "Overland Rigs" section there should be a do it yourself section.

There are a lot of really handy people around here that do some really cool stuff to their rigs.

It seems like it could be a really useful tool to have some step by step "how i did a thing" threads. It seems like it might inspire a little more detail than the build thread.

I don't know that I would be one of those people, mostly because I never remember to take enough pictures...

Just a thought.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Maybe a DIY thread with sub threads like Gear, Rig, Equipment? Maybe thats too much

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Steve, do you think we are wee-covered now?
Remember, you asked... :smirk:

I still don't understand the differentiation between the "Overland Bound Members" and Overland Bound Supporters" sub-forums. There doesn't seem a need to post general discussion in either, and both could overlap a bit if people in "Members" don't know a question was asked in "Supporters".

Support: Most participants have joined since the new forum software was implemented, and I don't think there are many questions specific to the change any more. I'd merge the topics from "New Forum Questions" into "Support." I'd also sort through the content of "Questions for Overland Bound" and move them to their appropriate forum, and do away with that one. It is confusing as to whether it is a support forum (which is where it is located) or a gear/trip/vehicle forum, which I think might have been the original intent.

I think I'd take "Off Topic" out of the Overland Discussion section, but I don't know where I'd put it. Probably the same dilemma you had that ended it up there. No need for a separate section just for it.

I might consider moving the DIY up to the general discussion section, as it sorta includes bot hear and rig posts, and many cross over.

There was a request for an activity section, such as fishing, kayaking, backpacking, etc., but I don't think they warrant a bunch of new forums. Right now those topics are in either "Off-Topic" or "General Discussion."

Overall, I like most of the remainder of the sections. And I'm certainly not complaining. As I've mentioned before, I used to be an adherent of a forum for every subject, but over the years have been convinced that the fewer the better for community and avoiding repetition. The Modern Vespa forum has two-million posts over the past ten years with only twelve forums, and it had only six for the majority of that time. By comparison, ClubWRX has 85 forum and sub-forums.

Thanks for all you and @Corrie do!!!!

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I agree with @Steve ... I think the fewer the better, I hate getting lost in forums and this one, so far has been pretty easy to navigate.

What are your thoughts on in the "Builds" section, putting different sections for manufacturers? My though is, as for me as an example, If i wanted to see what other Jeep guys were doing to their rigs I could got to the "Jeep" section. I am not wanting to turn it into a "click" like thing, just maybe it would be easier to navigate if the manufacturers were separate in there. Just a thought.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

What are your thoughts on in the "Builds" section, putting different sections for manufacturers?
My opinion is no. This creates the fragmentation I was talking about on other forums, where people come and visit their vehicle section only and don't see what other people are doing. Or someone in Jeep makes a great thread on racks that would be more general discussion. Sure, it can be moved, but that's just more for the moderators to do. My own British car forum has three sections, discussion, classifieds, and support.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

My opinion is no. This creates the fragmentation I was talking about on other forums, where people come and visit their vehicle section only and don't see what other people are doing. Or someone in Jeep makes a great thread on racks that would be more general discussion. Sure, it can be moved, but that's just more for the moderators to do. My own British car forum has three sections, discussion, classifieds, and support.

I agree to a point... But, if they are here for the right reasons (Overlanding, since this is an overlanding forum) they will look through the rest. Only time I personally ever go to a website for Jeeps only is when I am researching a issue I have. Other than that, when I am here, for example, I look through the "New Posts" section more than anything. Which shows all subjects. There has been numerous times that I am looking for a build thread and it takes for ever to find it through the search function or just through browsing, I just feel that if the builds were separated by manufacturers it may expedite the process of finding what the user is looking for.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I look through the "New Posts" section more than anything. Which shows all subjects.
Exactly what I do, and I right-click, open in a new tab for each thread. So sometimes I don't even know what section I'm reading in.

Maybe I'm putting too much thought into a simple thing. We're heading out to go window shopping at Toyota...

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I agree with Steve on this. We're all so supportive of each other that breaking manufacturers down would take away from it. I'm of the thought process KISS. The easier the better.

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
^^agree. KISS. caveat: Good, useful, accurate Search function. ;-)

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Over on the portal, I usually go to jeep and full size rigs. It's what I have so I tend not to venture out. Granted I could always check different builds but it's not what I drive so I wasn't very inclined to do so.

With the forum like it is now I'm exposed to many different brandstyles of vehicles. Heck I was drooling over a Subaru build last night. Something I wouldn't have seen in if the forums were brand segregated.
This just me though, so just an opinion

Now here is something I think this forum offers vs the other.....It's a members build not just a jeep toyota nissan build in a subsection. That's (enter number here) build . If that makes sense??

Reactions: SLO Rob and murps

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Over on the portal, I usually go to jeep and full size rigs. It's what I have so I tend not to venture out. Granted I could always check different builds but it's not what I drive so I wasn't very inclined to do so.

With the forum like it is now I'm exposed to many different brandstyles of vehicles. Heck I was drooling over a Subaru build last night. Something I wouldn't have seen in if the forums were brand segregated.
This just me though, so just an opinion

Now here is something I think this forum offers vs the other.....It's a members build not just a jeep toyota nissan build in a subsection. That's (enter number here) build . If that makes sense??
I'm glad you like this format re make and model. It's by design. Thanks for the feedback all!

Reactions: stoney126

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

^^^this x3^^^

Just happened to me.

I'm not sure if I've overlooked it (tapatalk, while convenient, has its drawbacks) but I haven't noticed a B/S/T forum prevalent anywhere. Worried of liability or scams or just never thought of?

*edit* That probably shoulda been its own question somewhere, no derail intended

*double edit* ah-ha, two "for sales" on two diff subforums.

Suggestion: all classifieds (i.e. buy/sell/trade/free) go in one subforum

Also make a header for aforementioned subforum stating that all participants do so at their own risk, and Overland Bound, Inc. or its officers, affilliates, or otherwise will not be held responsible, etc, etc, etc...

Last edited: