Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Got back yesterday and what a great time we had! Lots of back roads, dirt roads and even put the FJ on a ferry to cross Lake Champlain. We stayed at the Little River State Park just outside of Waterbury, VT. We visited several brewery's, Cabot cheese, Ben & Jerrys Ice Cream factory and Prohibition Pub Brew Pub. Definitely have to go back as we didn't hit nearly enough of the brewery's or the "Toll Road" (it is closed until June 2nd).

Here are a few pics from the trip.

Smugglers Notch VT.jpg IMG_20180528_155308.jpg Smugglers Notch VT 2.jpg IMG_20180527_102824.jpg IMG_20180527_124025.jpg IMG_20180527_084714.jpg IMG_20180526_133140.jpg 33824420_10211697543454218_1349655483782266880_n.jpg 33849811_10211697588735350_8872880148332937216_n.jpg 33870910_10211697601975681_5988452087401283584_n.jpg FJ Covered Bridge 2.jpg FJ Dirt Uncas3.jpg FJ Foggy Creek.jpg IMG_20180526_115224.jpg Green Mountains.jpg

Smugglers Notch VT.jpg

Attachments

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Are those stickers or paint, I love the compass rose on the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Lurch II

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

573 Junction Road, Berlin, VT 05602
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Bryan
Member #

Service Branch
Army retired
Great photos. For your next trip, hit the Cider Mill and Lost Nation Brewery. Groton State Park is nice - some great hiking. Little River is wonderful. Green River outside of Morrisville has sites only accessible by kayak or canoe. Also the brewery at Trapp Family Lodge. Plenty more to see and do on the next trip. A hike up Camel's Hump is well worth the views. In Montpelier, if you are in to history, the Vermont Historical Society Museum is a great visit. Lots of good restaurants in Montpelier too - Sarduccis, Pho Capital, Down Home Kitchen, Royal Orchid, Mad Taco, Kismet - whatever floats your boat. Also, the nation's smallest capital city. If you like wine there are a bunch of wineries and most give tours and tastings.

Love the art work on the FJ. Well done sir.

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Great photos. For your next trip, hit the Cider Mill and Lost Nation Brewery. Groton State Park is nice - some great hiking. Little River is wonderful. Green River outside of Morrisville has sites only accessible by kayak or canoe. Also the brewery at Trapp Family Lodge. Plenty more to see and do on the next trip. A hike up Camel's Hump is well worth the views. In Montpelier, if you are in to history, the Vermont Historical Society Museum is a great visit. Lots of good restaurants in Montpelier too - Sarduccis, Pho Capital, Down Home Kitchen, Royal Orchid, Mad Taco, Kismet - whatever floats your boat. Also, the nation's smallest capital city. If you like wine there are a bunch of wineries and most give tours and tastings.

Love the art work on the FJ. Well done sir.
Thanks! I will keep all of these in mind. We do plan to head back because we didn't scratch the surface of what there is to see!

Reactions: 36degreesNorth

36degreesNorth

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Knoxville, TN, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Sabens
Hank another place to add to your list in Northfield Falls VT. while the road is paved its one of only a hand full of places you can see 2 covered bridges over diffent streams in the US and there are 3 on the same road in less than a half mile. Also next time skip Ben and Jerrys and find a Creamy stand. That's real Vermont iced cream.

Lurch II

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

573 Junction Road, Berlin, VT 05602
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Bryan
Member #

Service Branch
Army retired
Hank another place to add to your list in Northfield Falls VT. while the road is paved its one of only a hand full of places you can see 2 covered bridges over diffent streams in the US and there are 3 on the same road in less than a half mile. Also next time skip Ben and Jerrys and find a Creamy stand. That's real Vermont iced cream.
Yup, B&J is sort of the prototypical tourist trap. The Dairy Queen in Montpelier is more like the real deal. And the three covered bridges are a must see. And while your up that way, keep on going over the mountain and into the valley on the other side, then up over 17 to Bristol for a real small town Vermont experience.

I grew up in Northfield so know the area well. Who were your folks Irongrave? I'm 70 so I might have been in school with them.

TK-421

Rank III

Enthusiast II

East Aurora, NY, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Wenner
Member #

Hi wow where to begin. Go to stowe. Its absolutely beautiful. We hit peak colors first week of Oct.

From Buffalo we drove to Piseco lake and camped on the beach at Irondeqouit Inn, and slept in the 4 runner (great place, and dinner/breakfast). The next day we hiked up Panther Mountain. Then drove to Stowe.

Stayed at Spruce Peak at Stowe Mt resort. (It was our anniversary...so forgive the glamping) beautiful but expensive at peak time. We drove the toll road up Mt Manfield and hiked the Nose to Chin trail. A must...fantastic views from the ridge 4000 ft up.

Next day road bike on the bike trail that follows a creek with 8 or so bridges that cross it. There and back about 11 miles.

Next day, we headed back up Mt. Mansfield and hiked the Forehead trail. It was like walking through a mossy rainforest, only to open up on the forehead with beautiful views.

We also went to Von Trapp resort, and met one of the Von Trapps! Stopped and had a beer at the brewery.

The only thing i would not recommend was the supposed 'easy' walk to the waterfall outside of Smugglers Notch...very dangerous, a local said people die there every year.

Must must must drive through Smugglers Notch. Make sure to get out and walk around there, again so beautiful with the mountain going straight up next to you.

The last night we camped at Brewster River Campground and slept in the 4 runner. Nice and clean. Campsite was on the River (more of a rocky brook)

I highly recommend the trip.

Attachments

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Nice pics! Nice trip! Nice compass rose and I like that the top pinstripe is reflective.

Do you have a route map or description for us?