Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Hello all. I have a question regarding roof racks. I am looking for a full coverage roof rack fro my Suburban. Anyone recommend a specific brand or company?

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm not a huge fan of the Yakima (or Thule for that matter) racks, mostly because they don't cover the whole roof area. They just sit in the middle. And I think they look kind of cheesy. The Smittybilt one isn't bad.

Traveler I

I'm not a huge fan of the Yakima (or Thule for that matter) racks, mostly because they don't cover the whole roof area. They just sit in the middle. And I think they look kind of cheesy. The Smittybilt one isn't bad.
Smittybilt is a good buy. If you buy it through 4WheelParts they should give you a good deal.

WUzombies

Rank V
Launch Member
Supporter

Advocate II

Central Texas
Member #

I made mine for approximately $200 including the FarmTek decking and I'm just a dork with a welder. If I can make it then I believe that anyone can make it. Used contractor bars as the base and used 1" 13ga HREW for the floor and ladder, 1" 14ga HREW for the risers and top rail. Could I have used DOM instead? Yup for more than twice the price the benefits didn't outweigh the cost.

When loading I walk around on my rack and have been known to stand on the rack as a lifted platform for photography.

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-02.jpg