Subaru Outback build ideas

• HTML tutorial

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I have Cooper AT3's's at 235/65/17. I know for 5th gens it's the largest you can go with mud flaps without a lift. They're aggressive enough for what I do and SURPRISINGLY quiet on the road. Pretty much unnoticeable when you have your radio on. My mpg dropped by maybe 1-2.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app
I ran these on my XC for a while and really highly recommend them. They have the best road manners I've seen for a very capable and somewhat aggressive looking AT tire. The MPG hit was pretty Minimal too. The main drawback for My purposes is winter performance, but given the OP's location I don't think that'll be a major issue. [emoji16]

I'm now running BFG KO2s and really
Enjoying them thus far. Savage in all trail conditions, and surprisingly grippy on snow and ice, but they weigh a fucking TON so I'll probably be at least stage I ECU tuning this spring to get some of the sapped power back. That is, after I replace my front axles which are about dead since the 2" lift and multiple tire up-sizings [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austinmark

Rank I

Contributor II

I think what you mean is that your front axels are almost shot because of all the freedom they've been carrying around.

On a related note, +10 points to the first OB owner who figures out how to roll coal in a boxer engine.

I ran these on my XC for a while and really highly recommend them. They have the best road manners I've seen for a very capable and somewhat aggressive looking AT tire. The MPG hit was pretty Minimal too. The main drawback for My purposes is winter performance, but given the OP's location I don't think that'll be a major issue. [emoji16]

I'm now running BFG KO2s and really
Enjoying them thus far. Savage in all trail conditions, and surprisingly grippy on snow and ice, but they weigh a fucking TON so I'll probably be at least stage I ECU tuning this spring to get some of the sapped power back. That is, after I replace my front axles which are about dead since the 2" lift and multiple tire up-sizings [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ej Martin

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gray, ME
Member #

Whose 2" lift? Did you do springs, too? If so, have they had the chance to settle yet? Has the ride gone back to normal when the car is unweighted by camping gear, or is it bouncy?
I used ADF - 2" in front, 2 3/8 in rear- I didn't do springs yet. Ride is actually better in my opinion, no additional body roll

austinmark

Rank I

Contributor II

OOOOOHHHHHH. I like that a lot. My soon-to-be OB has the standard 17" alloys. What brand and size tires did you end up with? And are those Method 502s? 17" Methods? I reeeeeeeally like the bronze wheels. My OB is that dark gunmetal gray, and I'm not sure what color rims will work best. If I can't figure it out, I might Plasti-dip them with their dark gray finish.

This was the end result

Ej Martin

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gray, ME
Member #

OOOOOHHHHHH. I like that a lot. My soon-to-be OB has the standard 17" alloys. What brand and size tires did you end up with? And are those Method 502s? 17" Methods? I reeeeeeeally like the bronze wheels. My OB is that dark gunmetal gray, and I'm not sure what color rims will work best. If I can't figure it out, I might Plasti-dip them with their dark gray finish.
You nailed it. Method 502s in the 17 inch and Maxxis 771s.

I think the bronze wheels look good with any color as I dig the retro feel. Plus, the method wheels are crazy strong. I didnt trust the stock rims not to get dinged/bent on me somewhere out in the woods.

austinmark

Rank I

Contributor II

You nailed it. Method 502s in the 17 inch and Maxxis 771s.

I think the bronze wheels look good with any color as I dig the retro feel. Plus, the method wheels are crazy strong. I didnt trust the stock rims not to get dinged/bent on me somewhere out in the woods.
How do they behave on the highway? Loud? I have to do a ton of highway driving before even making it to the western and northern parks we like to visit.

Ej Martin

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gray, ME
Member #

How do they behave on the highway? Loud? I have to do a ton of highway driving before even making it to the western and northern parks we like to visit.

Well - I came from a car that had very little road noise, so the stock outback was loud for me to begin with and took some time to get used to. That said, while there is some additional noise, I wouldn't say it's all that noticeable. My outback doubles as my daily, and I do a lot of highway miles as well just commuting and drive from Portland Maine to Boston, MA once or twice a week.

pcphorse88

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Payonk
Member #

Any progress on your Outback? Your build list is similar to what I have planned for my Outback minus the lift. For the anticipated driving I will be doing I am fine with the stock height so I will save that money for now.