Launch Member

Contributor I

Va
First Name
Wes
Last Name
Wilhelm
Member #

Can these be taken off and leaned against the wall on thier side to store? I'm looking specifically at you, Smittybilt.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have a Tepui mounted on my trailer. At one time I took it off and leaned it against the wall in my garage for a month. It didn't seem to care. I did set the bottom against the wall so it was sitting on something solid.
Most of the RTT's out there are built very similar with the only real differences being quality. Mine not being a Smittybuilt, I would bet their similar enough.
As for taking it on and off, mine only sits 5 feet off the ground and its a pain to take off with two people. I actually considered making a hoist in my garage to remove it. Its a little over 100 pounds and awkward. Once on the ground I used small furniture dollies to scoot it around. If you had a hoist or made some kind of a ramp to slide it on, I guess it wouldn't be too bad.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I set my ARB Simpson upright on two wooden dollies from Harbor Freight and push it against the wall. The tent sits squarely on the dollies and I can easily roll it away from the wall and around the shop when needed. The dollies are on sale at HF now, $7.99.

1568216724896.png

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
My Overland Vehicle Systems Tent has been sitting on my under car creeper board for a few weeks now while I've been prepping it for going on top of my RTT rack. I can roll it around and move it wherever I need to. I might get the Harbor Freight Dollys though for the larger wheels and I can customize them to hold the tent better.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I set my ARB Simpson upright on two wooden dollies from Harbor Freight and push it against the wall. The tent sits squarely on the dollies and I can easily roll it away from the wall and around the shop when needed. The dollies are on sale at HF now, $7.99.

View attachment 116928
You beat me to it! When I had an RTT this worked great!

Reactions: KonzaLander

Nick_Gomez81

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Land O' Lakes, FL, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Gomez
Member #

I just went to CVT in Chattanooga and they had everyone in their stock on their sides in the packaging. Probably over a hundred tents for no telling how long. Don’t really see a reason not too as long as you are careful with the aluminum structure.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Picked up the harbor freight furniture dollys on sale and they worked great on the tent. It stood up perfectly on the dollys without having to modify them at all! Stayed there until last night when I put the tent up on my homemade RTT rack!

heyfish

Rank III
Investor

Member I

California
Member #

I keep mine on a little wood cart I made from some scrap lumber and a few casters I found in the garage. It's definitely not pretty but it works well. I added some padding where the cover touches the wood (leftover liner for toolbox drawers) to help protect the cover. The top of the tent leans up against the rack (about 15 degrees off vertical). I have the Thule xsporter rack and I bought two pieces of steel strut from home depot that I use as a ramp for the tent. I connect the top of the rails to the rack so they don't fall off. Roll up the cart, tip over onto the strut and push up onto the rack. Getting it up is still a 2 person job but not bad. I can get it off by myself pretty easily.

20191013_164528.jpg20191013_164524.jpg