Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
You can get ratchet straps in all kinds of lengths and strength. When I secure stuff on my Diamond Back cover or my trailer I always use ratchet straps. Way stronger and more secure than bungee straps and go on and off fast, maybe a minute or two to put on and take off.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Ya, but it takes me all of 15 minutes for all 12 bolts and the loading up two of the boxes once they are bolted down. Hook up the trailer, throw our duffles in and we are rolling in less than 1/2 hour..
I can have my boxes bolted in and loaded up inside 5 min, I just use a 1/4” electric impact and zip the bolts tight after sliding the empty boxes into the tracks. Then load them up as I check off what goes in. It’s almost all recovery gear and chairs so it goes in really quick as it’s organized.

Reactions: MOAK and RoarinRow

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

You can get ratchet straps in all kinds of lengths and strength. When I secure stuff on my Diamond Back cover or my trailer I always use ratchet straps. Way stronger and more secure than bungee straps and go on and off fast, maybe a minute or two to put on and take off.
Yes but if the rack can support bolting on boxes it allows you to get into them to grab things without having to un-strap/re-strap them.

Reactions: MOAK and RoarinRow

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Yes but if the rack can support bolting on boxes it allows you to get into them to grab things without having to un-strap/re-strap them.
I guess if your containers aren't up too high. Mine go on the back of my Diamond Back rack and I remove them when at camp since the truck is usually not parked in the middle of camp. I am look for ways to secure them without having to use tie downs but for now it works!

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I don't carry boxes, but I do carry a couple of half height jerry cans up on my Yakima LoadWarrior.

I use rachet straps. I always keep 10 or so in my rig stored in a Harbor Freight zip bag. Most of my straps have been cut down and the end bummed to stop fraying.. around 6' I think. Gas cans, the blue Coleman water jug, firewood, trash, traction plates .. all secure with ratchet straps.

A little off topic.. I carry firewood in black canvas bags I got in Amazon. Then, the next morning I put my trash (and sometimes other people's trash) into the bag and it goes up on the rack. No mess in the truck. I have 3. You can put 1.5 of the grocery store firewood bundles into one bag.

This:

Firewood Log Carrier, Gonex Durable and Waterproof Nylon Log Tote Bag for Fireplaces & Wood Stoves, Extra Large(25.6x11.8x10.6inch) Black ...

Reactions: RoarinRow

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I can have my boxes bolted in and loaded up inside 5 min, I just use a 1/4” electric impact and zip the bolts tight after sliding the empty boxes into the tracks. Then load them up as I check off what goes in. It’s almost all recovery gear and chairs so it goes in really quick as it’s organized.
Electric tools are cheating (LOL), what takes me the longest is removing and reloading the MREs and getting the step ladder out.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I don't carry boxes, but I do carry a couple of half height jerry cans up on my Yakima LoadWarrior.

I use rachet straps. I always keep 10 or so in my rig stored in a Harbor Freight zip bag. Most of my straps have been cut down and the end bummed to stop fraying.. around 6' I think. Gas cans, the blue Coleman water jug, firewood, trash, traction plates .. all secure with ratchet straps.

A little off topic.. I carry firewood in black canvas bags I got in Amazon. Then, the next morning I put my trash (and sometimes other people's trash) into the bag and it goes up on the rack. No mess in the truck. I have 3. You can put 1.5 of the grocery store firewood bundles into one bag.

This:

Firewood Log Carrier, Gonex Durable and Waterproof Nylon Log Tote Bag for Fireplaces & Wood Stoves, Extra Large(25.6x11.8x10.6inch) Black ...
How many bundles (grocery kind) would these hold?

I usually bring 4 packs for a 2 nighter.