Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Stupid question, but for those of you who put storage bins on your roof racks, how in the heck do you secure them to your racks? Do you make your own mount? Drill holes through bin, then some sort of contraption to mount to rack? Bungy cords? Net bungy cords?

For reference, I have a Yakima Mega Load Warrior roof rack. I have not put any storage bins up there yet, but if I had to, I would like to know the best and secure way to put them up there other than the net bungy cords that I have.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
On my former vehicle, I bolted them to the roof basket with stainless bolts & a saddle on the bottom
Thanks, that is what my first thought would be as well. But then I'd have a hole on the bottom of the storage box, which I'm ok with.

thewayhomeadventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Service Branch
Army / CIA
Stupid question, but for those of you who put storage bins on your roof racks, how in the heck do you secure them to your racks? Do you make your own mount? Drill holes through bin, then some sort of contraption to mount to rack? Bungy cords? Net bungy cords?

For reference, I have a Yakima Mega Load Warrior roof rack. I have not put any storage bins up there yet, but if I had to, I would like to know the best and secure way to put them up there other than the net bungy cords that I have.
I have a Yakima Megawarrior as well and drove down the east coast with storage boxes on top at interstate speeds—-just used bungees. A lot of bungees, but nothing moved around. I have the net for the Megawarrior too but it’s hard to get it really tight.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have a Yakima Megawarrior as well and drove down the east coast with storage boxes on top at interstate speeds—-just used bungees. A lot of bungees, but nothing moved around. I have the net for the Megawarrior too but it’s hard to get it really tight.
I think bungees will be good especially if you have several boxes side by side to keep stuff from moving around.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have only three boxes up top for very specific purposes. One for the tent heater, one for the shower water pump and one for the freeze dried food. The water pump is bolted into the box along with hoses so it's a very simple quick connect to the water heater. All the boxes are bolted down. Just finished a 10,000 mile tour and no leaks, no cracks from freezing no problems.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have only three boxes up top for very specific purposes. One for the tent heater, one for the shower water pump and one for the freeze dried food. The water pump is bolted into the box along with hoses so it's a very simple quick connect to the water heater. All the boxes are bolted down. Just finished a 10,000 mile tour and no leaks, no cracks from freezing no problems.
Thanks Don, appreciate the info.

Reactions: MOAK

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thanks for the tip. I have some adjustable ones I got from Walmart. Haven't used them yet. They seem complicated lol.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Guys, not be be negative or anything but coming from the transportation industry I've plenty of first hand knowledge as to why not to trust a bungee cord. Even if well taken care of and used properly UV rays deteriorate them quickly. I've had some last a year or so, and others last a couple of weeks. There are some very good reasons that a DOT fine will be awaiting you if bungee cords are used to strap down even the lightest of freight. The only thing anyone uses them for is tarping loads. Even then, they are constantly breaking. When in doubt and when you want to be sure, use a ratchet strap. I use bolts, ratchet straps and the Stratchets from Frontrunner. The stretchy part of the Stratchets should last a while as it is protected from UV rays. We shall see. Good luck and have a safe trip.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Guys, not be be negative or anything but coming from the transportation industry I've plenty of first hand knowledge as to why not to trust a bungee cord. Even if well taken care of and used properly UV rays deteriorate them quickly. I've had some last a year or so, and others last a couple of weeks. There are some very good reasons that a DOT fine will be awaiting you if bungee cords are used to strap down even the lightest of freight. The only thing anyone uses them for is tarping loads. Even then, they are constantly breaking. When in doubt and when you want to be sure, use a ratchet strap. I use bolts, ratchet straps and the Stratchets from Frontrunner. The stretchy part of the Stratchets should last a while as it is protected from UV rays. We shall see. Good luck and have a safe trip.
A combo of ratchet straps and bolts would def be a more secure choice.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Wow now that is cool. I’ll have to research how rail attaches to rack.
Now that may be my next upgrade for my three boxes.. admittedly my 80 series doesn’t fit thru the door with the boxes mounted, so I’m bolting on bolting off before and after each trip, however, $300 + for three small boxes? I’m pretty fast with my ratchet, extensions, and half inch socket..

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Now that may be my next upgrade for my three boxes.. admittedly my 80 series doesn’t fit thru the door with the boxes mounted, so I’m bolting on bolting off before and after each trip, however, $300 + for three small boxes? I’m pretty fast with my ratchet, extensions, and half inch socket..
Yeah now that you mention it bolting and unbolting would be tiring real fast.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yeah now that you mention it bolting and unbolting would be tiring real fast.
Ya, but it takes me all of 15 minutes for all 12 bolts and the loading up two of the boxes once they are bolted down. Hook up the trailer, throw our duffles in and we are rolling in less than 1/2 hour..

Reactions: RoarinRow