TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

Storage and Kitchen system build

Now that i have fridge for my truck, I was needing a better way to get into it. Ive also been wanting to build some storage drawers to help keep more of my camping supplies, tools, and recovery equipment more organized. What i came up with works very well.

I decided to build 2 integrated tables into the system with tops that would open up for storage below. There is also a slide out for the fridge. I do plan to go back and remake the left table into a 6" tall vs 4" tall drawer, and make both tops out of a cutting board instead of MDF. Im also going to go back and replace them with locking slides to make sure they stay open and closed when i want them too. One other thing i noticed while using this last weekend in the ozarks, is that the left table would sag down when items are on top of it. I dont have room anywhere in my gearset to add table legs, but found that my hiking poles work perfectly to put under it for extra support.

One other thing i did was install some LED lights into the rear hatch trim panel to light up the kitchen area when cooking in the evening/night time. I ordered these off amazon to light it up. The wire on them is something like 24 ga and is very thin. It made it a bit of a headache to wire it all together into one main power and ground wire, but patience and persistence paid off. I also added a toggle switch to manually turn them on and off. I was thinking about an automatic switch, but decided that i didnt want them on all the time while the hatch was open.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Nice setup man! Where did you get those lights you mounted on your hatch? Have a link by chance?

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

Thanks on the compliments too! i have a few things i want to go back and change up on it.

the left "table" i want to remake into a 6" tall drawer, and also upgrade all the slides to 500 lb lock-in/lock-out slides. Also would like to do some sort of "top" on the tables thats better for food prep. Most likely will try a 1/2" hdpe cutting board material instead of the MDF

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I missed the link in the thread, i was too busy looking at pics. I am like a kid who only wants to read the books that have pop ups.

Reactions: tom

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I really want to build s pull out drawer system for my Jeep, the pre-built ones are way too expensive IMO. It may be a good winter time project. Where did you buy the slides?

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Iv'e gotta take measurements of what space i have to work with. Got a few other projects to complete first though.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Nice setup. How are those lights working for you? I didn't check the wattage of the ones you bought but I was going to do something similar (lighting wise) in my setup but the ones I bought off Amazon got real hot. I went with a strip of LEDs which has been working well so far.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

they are supposed to be 9w each, and there are 12 of them. One of them was DOA and i never bothered to measure the true wattage of them. However, they work excellent for what i installed them for. They work great for kitchen lighting, map lighting, or anything else i would need back there. The best part is, with there being so many light sources, there is absolutely no shadow to be seen in the working area.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

The ones I bought were also 9w as I recall but also never tested them but they sure got hot. Still have them and will probably end up using them for something. You do get great light coverage with your setup. This is the light coverage I get with the LED strip for the cargo area, leave my stock interior lights turned off so they don't drain my cranking battery and everything in the back is run of the house/aux battery.

IMG_2406.jpg

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

ive never had a issue with my lights getting hot at all. ive had them running for well over 2 hours and they were stil able to be touched. they were a little warm, but you wont get burned by them or melt any plastic where they are mounted. Im very impressed with them for the price i paid.

I might put some interior lighting in with some of the LED strip lights in the cargo area.

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

not sure why its not showing up at all, but here is my setup. Its a double slide out with a table top and storage, and the right side is a single slide out with storage in it. Thats a 50qt arb fridge.

In the left drawer, i keep my coleman stove, a backpacking stove, a good knife, and some propane. The right drawer is where i keep my plates, pot set, skillets, utensils, spices, and more.

20151007_231217.jpg