• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Samantha
Last Name
Hanson
Hi friends!

I’m newer to overlanding and wanting to get ideas on things that you have found to be super useful while exploring. For example, we have a buddy who uses the huge wet wipes for “showering”. What is something that you find really useful while on trail.

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: El-Dracho

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
First thing that comes to mind is a nice multi-tool. Obviously it has a knife, some have the little saw, but my number one thing is the pliers with the cutter at the bottom of the teeth. The amount of times I've used that to snip zipties etc is worth it's weight.

Other little things, a nice steel cup for water/coffee that can be put on the fire/grill. An emergency firestarter is always a hit as a gift, they have flint and steel, some are like a magnifying glass, or just a nice lighter.

Good luck!

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

A way to boil water for coffee/tea, food, etc. I’ve had lots of different stoves/cook systems over the years and came across the Fire Maple Gear systems(knockoffs of the Jetboils) and it’s been fantastic, and gets lots of use. It’s a great gift, around $70, and will definitely come in handy.

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Hi friends!

I’m newer to overlanding and wanting to get ideas on things that you have found to be super useful while exploring. For example, we have a buddy who uses the huge wet wipes for “showering”. What is something that you find really useful while on trail.

Thanks!
I love a cot to sleep on. A good night’s sleep makes the next day so much nicer.

GladysThigpen

Rank 0

Contributor II

Webtech!123
First Name
Gladys
Last Name
Thigpen
Hi friends!

Thanks!
Welcome to the exciting world of off-road exploration! One invaluable trail companion is a portable water filtration system, ensuring a clean water supply wherever your adventures take you.

Last edited:
Reactions: El-Dracho

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

- A good compass and the knowledge in how to use it. Do you have a local orienteering group that does events? Do you or the beneficiary of said stocking tend to get lost or go cross-eyed looking at a map? A membership to said group is, likely, really inexpensive and that compass will last a lifetime.

- A good, small flashlight. I have two Surefire G2X Pros permanently mounted in my truck...one on the visor and one in the camper. Or even a good keychain light. I'm shocked at how often I use it in dark lots, or just to get a quick blast of light when I drop a pretzel into the seat/center console void of infinite darkness.

- Use GoPros? Find what mount they'd get use out of.

- Bear spray...because bears...and people...and dogs...and angry cows.

- Use backpacking meals? A nice, extendable spoon/spork. By extendable, I mean EXTENDABLE, like Optimus's sliding long spoon. You can actually reach the bottom of any bag with it.

- Gas canisters for whatever compact cooking system one uses are always appreciated.

- A good folding knife. No need to break the bank. While I realize that's completely subjective, my wife and I both carry Benchmade's Bugout and absolutely love them; particularly for the cost ($150ish). There are plenty of good knives for far less...or a helluva lot more! Just be sure to get something you're not going to get busted with in the areas you frequent...or plan to (e.g. no assisted-opening knives in the Great White North).

- The tried and true gift certificate to a specific shop so they don't blow it buying a toilet brush on Amazon or some nonsense. Shopping for that new camera? B&H Photo (hey, hon, if you're reading this...just sayin').

- A quality piece of small clothing. Gloves (realizing this can be hard to get the sizing right), a nice merino wool beanie... Wanna splurge and surprise someone? A nice, packable vest/jacket that can smoosh down into its own pocket...it'll fit in a stocking and wow someone. Additionally...a set of gloves to just keep in the door for dirty work.

- A set of mini padlocks from Master or something that are all keyed alike for securing traction boards on their mounting pins, the propane tank holder, a cable lock, etc.

- Carabiners...because they have a bazillion uses and always tend to go the way of socks in the dryer.

- Have a water bladder with a bite valve? Extra bite pieces as it's only a matter of time.

Reactions: SLO Rob

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Instant coffee packs - I like Wildland Coffee. They use tea bags to hold the grounds. Pretty decent coffee too.

Hand warmers, or anything else to stay warm (gloves, scarves, balaclavas, etc)

Set of utensils, or dishes or cookware.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

- A good compass and the knowledge in how to use it. Do you have a local orienteering group that does events? Do you or the beneficiary of said stocking tend to get lost or go cross-eyed looking at a map? A membership to said group is, likely, really inexpensive and that compass will last a lifetime.

- A good, small flashlight. I have two Surefire G2X Pros permanently mounted in my truck...one on the visor and one in the camper. Or even a good keychain light. I'm shocked at how often I use it in dark lots, or just to get a quick blast of light when I drop a pretzel into the seat/center console void of infinite darkness.

- Use GoPros? Find what mount they'd get use out of.

- Bear spray...because bears...and people...and dogs...and angry cows.

- Use backpacking meals? A nice, extendable spoon/spork. By extendable, I mean EXTENDABLE, like Optimus's sliding long spoon. You can actually reach the bottom of any bag with it.

- Gas canisters for whatever compact cooking system one uses are always appreciated.

- A good folding knife. No need to break the bank. While I realize that's completely subjective, my wife and I both carry Benchmade's Bugout and absolutely love them; particularly for the cost ($150ish). There are plenty of good knives for far less...or a helluva lot more! Just be sure to get something you're not going to get busted with in the areas you frequent...or plan to (e.g. no assisted-opening knives in the Great White North).

- The tried and true gift certificate to a specific shop so they don't blow it buying a toilet brush on Amazon or some nonsense. Shopping for that new camera? B&H Photo (hey, hon, if you're reading this...just sayin').

- A quality piece of small clothing. Gloves (realizing this can be hard to get the sizing right), a nice merino wool beanie... Wanna splurge and surprise someone? A nice, packable vest/jacket that can smoosh down into its own pocket...it'll fit in a stocking and wow someone. Additionally...a set of gloves to just keep in the door for dirty work.

- A set of mini padlocks from Master or something that are all keyed alike for securing traction boards on their mounting pins, the propane tank holder, a cable lock, etc.

- Carabiners...because they have a bazillion uses and always tend to go the way of socks in the dryer.

- Have a water bladder with a bite valve? Extra bite pieces as it's only a matter of time.
Great list - B&H is my favorite toy store!
I’d also add warm gloves and wool socks (Darn Tough are a favorite); a Yeti or similar insulated drinking cup or coffee cup; a first aid kit; a Thermacell bug repellent kit (used my a LOT this summer); or a subscription to a useful app - such as weather (Clime), navigation (Gaia, onX) and of course, Overland Bound for the best community!

Reactions: K9LTW

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Hi friends!

Thanks!
Work gloves, head lamp, flashlight, PETT toilet with bags, good cup for coffee, wine, scotch, toilet kit in a bag with paper, tush wipes and sanitizer , face wipes, binoculars, corkscrew, bottle opener, pocket/folding knife, fixed blade knife like a Mora , Leatherman tool , small table lantern like a Streamlite, good chair like a PICO, daypack.

JakeHalloran

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger II

Chehalis, WA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Halloran
Member #

Some things that I use every time I go out -

1. Flashlight: Streamlight Wedge.
2. Multi-Tool: Letherman Wave.
3. Coffee Cup: Yeti Rambler 20oz.
4. Beanie: Carhartt.
5. Tie Downs: Rubber Tarp Straps.
6. Coffee: Stanley Coffee Pour Over
7. Captians' Log: Any notebook to track dates you traveled, MPGs, vehicle maintenance and upgrades, campsites, etc. I prefer a hardcover journal.
8. Gloves: Mechanix originals.
9. Fire: Fatwood fire starters
10: Wood: Any 16" hatchet. Mine happens to be a Gransfors Bruks, but any will do.

Have fun getting started, I wish I could do it all over again!

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Notebook, pens, a couple of Sharpies, first aid kit , could be a trauma bag or boo-boo kit depending on your skill set, map books like the DeLorme Gazetteer, insect repellant, camp shoes for lounging around camp, emergency rescue equipment like a firearm and OC spray, extra keys for all locks and vehicle.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Good, useful and informative thread. A lot of useful things have already been mentioned here, many of which are EDC for me. To add, I always have a few small lashing straps and cable ties ready to grab in my rig to (re)attach things.