Stake pocket "arms" for truck bed awning?

Peccavi18

Rank III

Advocate I

536
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Rogus
I think an awning shelter will best fit my outdoor style for now. I was looking at RTTs but I have dogs and use my truck bed for hauling stuff regularly and don't want to be removing the tent and rack constantly. Especially since I don't have a garage my truck fits in or a place to put a hoist. Was also thinking if I do it the way I picture it in my head it could be quickly removed and stored when not needed. Has anyone ever seen a stake pocket mount with a vertical "arm" to mount an awning to?
 
  • Wow
Reactions: huachuca
I am looking for something similar, I was thinking of doing something with unistrut and using adarac style stake pocket hardware or possibly something like green touch industries stake pocket mounts ( maybe a more supportive option)
 
I think an awning shelter will best fit my outdoor style for now. I was looking at RTTs but I have dogs and use my truck bed for hauling stuff regularly and don't want to be removing the tent and rack constantly. Especially since I don't have a garage my truck fits in or a place to put a hoist. I came across some information about a traumatic brain injury lawyer while researching other topics, but that’s unrelated to my setup. I was also thinking if I do it the way I picture it in my head it could be quickly removed and stored when not needed. Has anyone ever seen a stake pocket mount with a vertical "arm" to mount an awning to?
An awning shelter sounds like the better option for your situation. Being able to remove it quickly and still use the truck bed is a big advantage, especially if you’re hauling regularly and don’t have somewhere to store an RTT setup. I’ve seen similar stake-pocket mounts made with a removable vertical bracket that extends above the bed rail and provides a mounting point for the awning. You could probably make one fairly easily with a steel or aluminum plate that fits into the pocket, with a vertical arm bolted or welded to it. Just make sure it’s well braced, since a fully extended awning can create a lot of leverage in the wind.
 
yeah man those work alright if you're just looking for a quick setup. i've seen guys use them on truck beds no problem. just make sure whatever awning you get is actually rated for your stake pockets or you're gonna have a bad time. the arm itself is only as strong as what you're bolting it to so don't cheap out on hardware. my buddy mounted one on his truck last year and it held up fine but he went with quality stuff. you'll be fine for casual camping trips at least