SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
With regards to wire rope vs cable, it doesn't matter. That being said, wire rope is what we have it as in all of our crane doc's at work on the large gantry cranes in our high bays. But really, it dun matter.

That said I'm going to keep using wire rope on my winch, its flat out less headache for a lot of the stuff the winch gets used for here.
And well.
Granite.

When we do a winch on my partners truck it'll have a synthetic rope as it'll be less exposed on her truck and it won't get used as a tractor as much as my jeep does. And its not a rock crawler, LOL.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Synthetic rope on my Jeep. With a rock sleeve and safety thimble on it. I keep a cover on it when just parked (not a daily driver). I also carry splicing tools if on a longer trip.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

The only time I'd really, strongly suggest synthetic rope, is if you're using a hand-winch or come-along. Mostly because you're standing in the danger zone while operating it. If you need to save on weight or really need field-repairability, synthetic makes sense too.

For something vehicle mounted, I'm sure wire rope is fine. As long as it is well maintained, it'll last.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I like that you can fix synthetic in the field. If you do have a small damaged section then you can replace the line and then repurpose the remaining good section as a winch extension. That and I HATE getting poked by loose wire strands. :)

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Here is a video on NOT HOW TO DO IT. The comments are mostly negative, and many wonder if the title is deliberately misleading. No beer in the video, but it sure sounds like it with the rational thought process they are using.

It's not a reflection on our English cousins, it just happens to be filmed there. A very good primer on the incorrect use of a winch, and a snatch strap. Every safety protocol thrown out the window on this one. Enjoy and LEARN.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I like that you can fix synthetic in the field. If you do have a small damaged section then you can replace the line and then repurpose the remaining good section as a winch extension. That and I HATE getting poked by loose wire strands. :)
Some folks have never had the pleasure of a steel wire going through a hand, it sucks. Stainless braided hoses are right up there in the do not pull on or let slip out you hand list. Now ive got memories of that pulsing burning pain in my hands.

• Haha
Reactions: JCWages

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Synthetic rope wins in 9/10
But Your specific needs might be crucial...

Weak points are:
- using synth in the muddy or sandy env You have to unwind and clean it carefully removing the dirt. Otherwise small stones and sand located in between the fibers significately reduce rope's strengts. That is why dirty synthetic ropes brake. If You understand why synthetic rope is synthetic You will understand...
- secondly synthetic rope should be kept dry - otherwise, when its wet or -even worse - wet and dirty will get rotten very soon. So You might not use it too often but next time (next season f.in.) the rope will brake without the reason. Tying give no result becouse its rotten all way long...
- next : once you drive on the syth after recovery it may tangle into suspension (not so rare situation). To tie it out is an adventure itself - much easier with steel rope.
- finally it's useless in rocky conditions - someone has mentioned this already. While the rope touches sharp edge of the rock it'll get cut and this will be without warning - may be very dangerous!!

So if You will use that rope frequently and will take care of it - BEST CHOISE. But if this would be Your case you wouldn't be asking this question in first place ;-)
Thus I believe get Yourself good quality steel rope and look for occasion once for a wile to use it and have some fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

If you ever want to see proper stuck truck recovery, watch 4WD Action on YouTube. They are out of Australia and do several recoveries every time. They use proper winch blankets, snatch strap, recovery boards and safety protocols. They talk a lot about safety and how to use a winch and when to winch. Oh, and it is very entertaining to boot.
They use synthetic, but the same safety applies to either.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

If you ever want to see proper stuck truck recovery, watch 4WD Action on YouTube. They are out of Australia and do several recoveries every time. They use proper winch blankets, snatch strap, recovery boards and safety protocols. They talk a lot about safety and how to use a winch and when to winch. Oh, and it is very entertaining to boot.
They use synthetic, but the same safety applies to either.
I've watched every trip video they have posted. I've learned a lot! :grinning:

I also watch Ronny Dahl, Seek Adventure, AllOffroad 4x4 Adventure, Matt's Offroad Recovery and Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery. Lots of good info on the tube.

It has definitely come in handy!

• Love
Reactions: Desert Runner

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I thought about this thread while winching last weekend. We winched A LOT! Our snow wheeling trip felt like an episode of 4wd Action due to all of the winching. Here are a few of the thoughts that ran through my head.

1. Steel cables are heavy! After a couple of winching episodes fatigue will start to set in and pulling synthetic line is just plain easier and safer.
2. As fatigue sets in you are more likely to make mistakes like forgetting to wear gloves or placing the damping blanket over the line. Synthetic line is more forgiving of such mistakes.
3. Coiling up excess line on the grill/bumper to be ready for the next pull is a lot easier and less damaging to paint than steel cable. This applies to prep before water crossings as well where you want your line available quickly.

Another semi-related but important consideration is having enough winch points on each vehicle AND having enough recovery gear that can be quickly deployed in emergency situations. Having 1 winch in the group sometimes isn't enough.

On the road back to town we came upon a corner that had almost 2' of snow piled up on the "hill side" such that it created a slope. The snow was slick and my buddy's rig slide sideways and just barely stopped before sliding off the road. The large trees would have stopped the rig but not before doing extensive damage (totalled) to the top and side. With him standing on the brakes we set up a basic winch recovery but as he pulled forward the rear of the rig started sliding off the edge. He has recovery points on his rear bumper so I quickly deployed a snatch block winch setup off a tree to his left and secured his rear bumper. We could then inch him forward until he was securely back on the road. Before he was safe we had to reset his winch to another tree which require me to reset my line so it passed under his because his new tree was higher on the slope than the previous one.

This setup required 2 winches, 2 tree saver straps, 3 bow shackles, 1 snatch block, 2 damping blankets, and nearly required a winch extension strap/rope. The point is, sometimes you think you're done with the hard stuff, you're cold and tired and then disaster strikes and you need to act fast. We winched well over 15 times in 2 days. It was a great learning experience. :)

To his credit, he did everything right but the curve was just flat out dangerous. Two properly built RZR sidebysides had a similar issue here the evening before. I only made it through because I took a high line and was going a little faster with grippier tires.

In this picture my line passes over his line and when tensioned they didn't touch. After resetting his line to a tree higher up on the slope I had to reset my line so it passed under his line to avoid the lines touching.
image_from_ios.jpg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

With chains, you might not have needed to winch.

Some of the guys launching boats for last weekends Blue Knuckle Fishing Derby had to chain up to get back up the ramp.
Hard core fishermen.... lol
DSCN2185.jpg

Reactions: JCWages

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Don't care, as long as crane operators and everyone else I deal with calls it cable.
Yeah, I always say the same: go as far as You can without a rope and turn back because You never know if it's not worse behind the hill ;-)
Better to equip the car with maxtracks, chains, even portable winch/manual kifor - best for overlanding where the WAY is more important then DESTINATION.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

With chains, you might not have needed to winch.

Some of the guys launching boats for last weekends Blue Knuckle Fishing Derby had to chain up to get back up the ramp.
Hard core fishermen.... lol
View attachment 137123
In his case yes. In my case no. I had zero issues with grip. I only had problems breaking through the packed layer and sinking chassis deep into the soft stuff below. :flushed: Wider and taller tires would have helped and I will pack chains for the rear next time just in case. It was fun regardless. Haha

Haust

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
D
Last Name
W
Member #

Most impressive winching while OVERLANDING (not racing) Meeeen - this guy has balls!!!
3:14 minute of that film

Are you refering to that portion that begins at about 3:17? Not exactly Leave No trace, was it though? He may have gonads, but he seems to lack sense.

Reactions: Ralph and Baipin