Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

So pretty much every vehicle now comes from the factory with alloy wheels. For vehicle manufacturers, it makes sense because of the weight reduction vs. a steel counterpart. There's less rotational mass to turn the wheel so there's a savings in fuel economy which is what most buyers pay attention to, more than the material the wheel is made from.

But there are times when the option to get new wheels presents itself, say if you want to upgrade the tires. Bigger tires means going taller, but a lot of the time, that also includes going wider. You may be able to go a size or two up and be ok with the height change, but a wider tire might rub (to varying degrees) on other parts. Mainly suspension or control arms. This starts getting into offset and backspacing.

Offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mating surface of the hub. Deep dish wheels have a negative offset, where the hub mounting surface is moved in, towards the brakes. Offset is typically measured in millimeters. Backspacing on the other hand, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the outer lip on the backside of the wheel (the side nearest the brakes).

So if an alloy wheel offers better MPG, why should you consider a steel wheel? Well, for me, the main reason is this. An alloy wheel does not take too well to hard impacts. Once you start to air down, the chance of a rock hitting the wheel increases because there is more give to the tire. If an alloy is hit hard, there's a good chance it will crack. If this happens there's really no trail fix that will make it hold air. It will have to be taken out of service and replaced once you're home.

With a steel wheel, the material is much more pliable. So much in fact, that you can take a BFH, and pound the lip back into shape without really risking the chance of cracking it. You do need to be careful to not cause too many waves or undulations around the bead area of the wheel as you do this. Otherwise you may have air escaping through the little gaps and those can be very difficult to smooth out. Steel wheels can be a lot cheaper, as low as $55.00 per wheel, where an alloy may easily start at over $100 and quickly go up from there. The steel wheel typically won't have the fancy designs of an alloy, but they're more utilitarian in that respect. And you won't care as much if you get some rock rash scraping the paint off.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I agree with everything you've said. I guess it depends where you use your vehicle most? Mine does a lot of road miles so I switched alloys many years ago. When I'm off-road for extended periods though I carry two spares (wheels and tires). I also made sure to buy a quality brand of wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Something else to think about is that a lot of aftermarket steel wheels (and aluminum wheels as well) have very poor weight ratings and have a center made without the ability to spring back which is why so many bend under otherwise easy use. If I was going to run steel wheels, I would try to find a OEM wheel to use since they are designed better. They have the "S" bends in the center which allow the wheel to flex side to side under load and shock but return to straight instead of staying bent like the cheaper steel wheels with practically flat centers will do. On my K2500 I have the factory 16x7s with 285/75/16's and my K5 has factory 15x8 wheels with 35x12.50x15's. Just another thing to think about.

I would like to have a set of Method wheels on my K2500 (good weight rating!!) but there's nothing wrong with my factory wheels so I'm putting that money elsewhere.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

So pretty much every vehicle now comes from the factory with alloy wheels. For vehicle manufacturers, it makes sense because of the weight reduction vs. a steel counterpart. There's less rotational mass to turn the wheel so there's a savings in fuel economy which is what most buyers pay attention to, more than the material the wheel is made from.

But there are times when the option to get new wheels presents itself, say if you want to upgrade the tires. Bigger tires means going taller, but a lot of the time, that also includes going wider. You may be able to go a size or two up and be ok with the height change, but a wider tire might rub (to varying degrees) on other parts. Mainly suspension or control arms. This starts getting into offset and backspacing.

Offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mating surface of the hub. Deep dish wheels have a negative offset, where the hub mounting surface is moved in, towards the brakes. Offset is typically measured in millimeters. Backspacing on the other hand, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the outer lip on the backside of the wheel (the side nearest the brakes).

So if an alloy wheel offers better MPG, why should you consider a steel wheel? Well, for me, the main reason is this. An alloy wheel does not take too well to hard impacts. Once you start to air down, the chance of a rock hitting the wheel increases because there is more give to the tire. If an alloy is hit hard, there's a good chance it will crack. If this happens there's really no trail fix that will make it hold air. It will have to be taken out of service and replaced once you're home.

With a steel wheel, the material is much more pliable. So much in fact, that you can take a BFH, and pound the lip back into shape without really risking the chance of cracking it. You do need to be careful to not cause too many waves or undulations around the bead area of the wheel as you do this. Otherwise you may have air escaping through the little gaps and those can be very difficult to smooth out. Steel wheels can be a lot cheaper, as low as $55.00 per wheel, where an alloy may easily start at over $100 and quickly go up from there. The steel wheel typically won't have the fancy designs of an alloy, but they're more utilitarian in that respect. And you won't care as much if you get some rock rash scraping the paint off.
Definitely agree with everything! With the only minor note being I paid $91 shipped for each of my 5 American Racing ~21lb 16x8 alloy wheels. But, I knew I wouldmt be wheeling so aggressively that Id come close to bending up wheels, heh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I really wish there were more steel wheel options. I would love to have the advantages when on the trail.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Show of hands....

1) How many people have pounded out a bent steel wheel?
2) How many people have cracked an alloy wheel?
3) How many people pay for their own fuel?

I'm going alloy :-)

Every part of your powertrain and brakes benefit from having less unsprung weight. Alloys are also better at syncing heat away from your brakes.

Last edited:

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I know someone who cracked an alloy wheel. His truck became known as the General Lee after that for two reasons. First, is because the truck was a Tangiers Orange G4 Discovery 2, and second, he hit the gas instead of the brake and went flying off the side of a hill and landed rather hard, thus cracking the wheel.

Reactions: TerryD and Kelly

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I've cracked 2 aluminum wheels, forged ones at that. They were on a much different car and I had 3 sets of them wearing different rubber.

The only reason I mention it is because I didn't hesitate to go right back to forged-like wheels for the wagon. Knowing that I'd be running heavier/larger AT rubber weight was a primary concern but I wasn't going to sacrifice strength. Both are addressed by forged/forged-like wheels. My RPF1s weigh 13 lbs less per wheel than Methods and still remain stronger.

I absolutely agree on a lot of your points @Disco2Guy but I'm not afraid to head off road with alloy wheels. That includes across nothing but rocks, aired down, with the occasional wheel strike. If I ran a dedicated off road rig that routinely returned ~10mpg on a good one I'd be rocking steelies all day, every day. I actually think they typically look great. Now understandably my long roof doesn't see boulders or the roughest terrain imaginable but it does see trails that would absolutely surprise a good portion if not all of you haha. My pro tip is also a con when it comes to aluminum wheels... buy quality. Even if it's going to hurt $$.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Another thing to consider in this is where most of the opinions of things come from. MANY ideas come from rock crawling and mudding crowd. These people use their vehicles in a different method than we do. I continually correct people when they ask if "do you take your truck mudding?" as I don't. I tell them I go trail riding and exploring. I doubt I would ever encounter a situation where I needed to bend back a lip or worry about a cracked wheel so, steel vs alloy is not even a worry of mine.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
There has to be some pretty good forces going to crack an alloy. When that happens there's usually more damage than just the wheel to be worried about!
True words but they were sticky low profile tires paired with hungry right foot speeds. The suspension was set up to handle my younger ways haha. Surprised to say the weak link in both instances was the wheel but they held air long enough for me to discover the damage at the next wheel swap.

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

Steelies are retro sexy, heavy, and resilient. OEM steelies tend to be better built and stronger.

Alloy is light, less resilient to bending, and have a much larger selection.

Reactions: Kelly

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Show of hands....

1) How many people have pounded out a bent steel wheel?
2) How many people have cracked an alloy wheel?
3) How many people pay for their own fuel?

I'm going alloy :-)

Every part of your powertrain and brakes benefit from having less unsprung weight. Alloys are also better at syncing heat away from your brakes.
If you have a flat you can not repair which is easier to change, big steel wheel or Alloy? I have made my choice long ago!

Only advantage to steel wheels is there are companies that can custom make them to your specs if needed.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
On my FJ60 I've run alloy wheels for maybe 20 years; I did bend one a bit but it did not break. They are by Weld Racing and I powder coated them clear so they stay shiney.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I use Mickey tompson aluminum wheels on the street and steel on the trail. Bent a steel one time. Took a small sledgehammer to it and right as rain. Try doing that with and aluminum wheel.