Rank III

Pathfinder III

Montgomery County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Oliphant
Member #

Hi everyone I’m writing this just to get out there and maybe get some feedback of my new build and maybe some helpful and insightful ideas.

I joined OB fairly recently and when doing so I was beginning my build on my old 4runner. Well if anyone knows the 3.0vze they know why I no longer have it lol. It began to be too much of a headache just to keep it running to get back and forth to work let alone travel and off road in it as well.

So I went out and found something that would fit my needs for both work and play.

I decided on a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland edition (fitting right haha). The decision to get this style of Cherokee and model was ultimately reliability. The Jeep has the Quadra lift system that I’ve done research on and seems to be a fairly good and reliable system along with its 4x4 capabilities as well. These vehicles seemed to be used a lot in Australia as well. Amazingly I’m gaining about 5 total inches of ground clearance over the 4runner. Over all there are many different features that are a pro and some that are a con but I am excited for this new build to begin and if anyone has any ideas of thoughts I’d love to hear them.

I just recently also relocated to Blacksburg va area and am excited to explore up here.
Thanks for your time!

Attachments

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Nice rig. Enjoy it.

I recently did the same. I moved from a JKU to a Gladiator. My learnings from having many Jeeps and other vehicles is to get out and enjoy, build for your needs. My current rig is much simpler than others in the past. I decided it was more about the experience than it is about building my rig.

Look forward to the pics of Blacksburg va area .

Paul

Zane&kait

Rank III

Pathfinder III

Montgomery County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Zane
Last Name
Oliphant
Member #

Nice rig. Enjoy it.

I recently did the same. I moved from a JKU to a Gladiator. My learnings from having many Jeeps and other vehicles is to get out and enjoy, build for your needs. My current rig is much simpler than others in the past. I decided it was more about the experience than it is about building my rig.

Look forward to the pics of Blacksburg va area .

Paul

Yeah man. Just slowly building it to fit my needs not only off-roading but but for everyday use. Hoping to get it on a trail soon!

Reactions: AggieOE

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Yeah man. Just slowly building it to fit my needs not only off-roading but but for everyday use. Hoping to get it on a trail soon!
Your message has good timing. I was out on the trail yesterday: nothing wild, just some mild Overlanding scouting. I was thinking, what would I add. I am enjoying the semi-stock rig. My other Jeep is a lifted and locked JKU. It serves its purpose, but I enjoy the Gladiator and honestly, it meets 90% of my needs for Overlanding. I would not take it to rock crawling or on extreme trails, but I am sure it would hold its own other than wheel base.

Take it slow make it fit your needs.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Congrats on the new vehicle! I feel like you hit the nail on the head of properly building a vehicle. Some of the best mods I've ever done to a vehicle increased its livability. All season floormats, glovebox and center console dividers, and permanent bolted phone mounts have been some of my most favorite mods. Next up... (i'm so pumped) Canvasback cargo liners!! The lifts were cool, bigger tires were cool, but the little things made the biggest impact!

The daily living mods truly are the best mods.

Good luck with the new rig and the new stomping grounds.

Reactions: Zane&kait
D

Deleted member 14476

Those are such underrated cars, my mom has the overland edition grand cherokee as well and man, theyre just not what you expect in terms of comfort, ride, features, and so forth. They give the high end suv’s a run for their money

Reactions: Zane&kait