Traxx

Rank 0

Contributor II

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Grishom
One of the reasons for moving from Motorcycle to pickup is to be able to carry the telescope and associated equipment to various dark skies. The other is to bring the family along.
I am a beginner astronomer, very much so. One of the trips I am looking at is Big Bend NP or SP for some camping and stargazing.
So, how many of y'all like to look at the stars?

tw1st3d5

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florissant, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kee
Member #

I've wanted to get an inexpensive telescope to carry around but haven't yet. We spent some time out at Caprock Canyon last year and they had a local group come out with really nice (read expensive) telescopes that they let everyone take a turn with. It was amazing what you could see out there compared to the light polluted area. Caprock is quite a bit closer to you in Fort Worth but it doesn't have the offroad trails that Big Bend has.

Reactions: Traxx

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I'm on a short two month trip to north central Texas and was actually contemplating something like this. Bend is more than a couple hours away from me though and not knowing the area kinda makes me apprehensive about it. I am looking for sites up here though and into Oklahoma or even New Mexico.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I do not take a telescope or other equipment for stargazing with me but I love to be in areas where there is no light polution and watch the stunning starry sky. It is so amazing what you could see out there, in the desert or in the mountains.

Reactions: Road

Fishiam

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sardena
Member #

I want to second what TRAXX said. Binoculars are a great start and easy to transport. Also some phone's give you the ability to take long exposure photos. You will be amazed with what a long exposure photo looks like taken from a dark sky location. Be careful. Once hooked it can be an expensive hobby.

Reactions: Road

Enthusiast III

South Dayton, NY, USA
First Name
Ronald
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
USMC 85'-89'
I don't have a telescope for it, but have used binoculars to bring things closer. Mostly I just enjoy being out under the stars, enjoying the tranquility of nature. There is something about being out in the middle of nowhere with millions of stars shining that does something to my soul. I need more of this soon....

Reactions: Offroadnutz

JonnyAppleseed

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Francis
I'm a pretty serious astronomer. Download the light pollution map for Google earth to find perfectly dark skies. I personally like the area around the capulin volcano in New Mexico. The black mesa state park in Oklahoma is a good place to camp.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Download the light pollution map for Google earth to find perfectly dark skies.
Hi,
I guess, such a map is quite useful. Where can I find the download for this light polution map, please?
Thanks,
Björn

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

So, What scope do you have? I am an amateur also and have an 8" Dobsonian, it is a bit bulky to take and I am working out how. I go mostly to Death Valley area and the Nevada desert. The skies are very clear and you can get pretty far from city lights, more so in Nevada, the lights from Pahrump pollute the DV area. There is also an app on the phone for identifying what's up in the sky. I have not uploaded it yet. I like taking my scope into town and letting the public see things like the Mercury transit or eclipses as I have a solar filter.

JonnyAppleseed

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Francis
Hi,
I guess, such a map is quite useful. Where can I find the download for this light polution map, please?
Thanks,
Björn
Well, It looks like the world has changed, There used to be a kmz file, but now google earth requires the internet. otherwise this works:

As others have said a good powerful set of binoculars can be a great tool. The biggest "wow" moment you will see is to go to a dark sky location during a meteor shower. More amazing than a fireworks show.

Otherwise, avoid full moons, they wash out images of evereything else. quarter phase(half moon) moons are very impressive, the rings of saturn are good crowd pleasers, as are the moons, stripe and big red spot on jupiter.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Well, It looks like the world has changed, There used to be a kmz file, but now google earth requires the internet. otherwise this works:

As others have said a good powerful set of binoculars can be a great tool. The biggest "wow" moment you will see is to go to a dark sky location during a meteor shower. More amazing than a fireworks show.

Otherwise, avoid full moons, they wash out images of evereything else. quarter phase(half moon) moons are very impressive, the rings of saturn are good crowd pleasers, as are the moons, stripe and big red spot on jupiter.
Thanks for the information. Just had a brief look at the lightpolutionmap you linked above. Looks like a pretty useful tool! Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonnyAppleseed

mikeD1Esel

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Oahu, Hawaii
First Name
Michael
Last Name
DeSerio
if you ever can get your hands on a pair of NVGs looking up at the night sky is unbelievable. I was on the big island of Hawaii and when I looked up, I cannot describe how incredible it looks.

Reactions: JonnyAppleseed

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

One of the reasons for moving from Motorcycle to pickup is to be able to carry the telescope and associated equipment to various dark skies. The other is to bring the family along.
I am a beginner astronomer, very much so. One of the trips I am looking at is Big Bend NP or SP for some camping and stargazing.
So, how many of y'all like to look at the stars?
Even when in the city and under light domes, I'm looking up to see just how much I can see of the heavens. I learn more and more all the time. Being along the Atlantic coast is nice; to have no light coming from at least one direction.

I don't take a telescope adventuring, though used to have one. I do have my fav binocs with me everywhere, though am interested in what binocs others have found most useful for studying stars. I have the Vortex Diamondback 8x42 (that I see has gone up significantly in price since I got mine) which I use mostly for bird and animal watching, I admit. They go with me everywhere and are always close at hand. I also have a much smaller, less expensive pair of Bushnell 10x25 Compact Folding, that I may have given to my daughter.

What I primarily do in studying the heavens is solo camp way out in the willo-wacks for weeks on end in the borderlands, often with a star guide in one hand, wandering around in the middle of the night, craning my neck and turning in circles, making notes of constellation positions and which ones are rising where, and teaching myself what's coming up next.

Some nights I do that, a lot of other nights it's all camera. There simply isn't much I enjoy better than being alone in the Chihuahuan Desert at night studying the night sky and making images. I honestly haven't been overly concerned with making star map type images of crystal clarity that one can study, though hope to create images that evoke for me the awe and wonder of being out there alone for weeks on end, teaching myself something new.

Here's a few of my favorites, some of which have been posted elsewhere around these forums.

bibelc-190308--1517.JPG
My adventure rig on the border. The Río Bravo del Norte just steps away down a bank.

roaddude_milkyway-over-marathonrv-8570-900.jpeg
Galactic Core, Milky Way

carlightsonrvrrd-5821-pano.jpg
Car Lights Along the River

roaddude_chisospano-frmwestendent-8231-1350.jpg
Chihuahuan Dawn

roaddude_XV2-milkyway-7094-1028.jpg
Milky Way with Jupiter over my adventure rig.

and probably my favorite, because of the way I contrived to light the giant Spanish Dagger Yucca:

roaddude_nightsky-altudapicnic-7731-6x9.jpg
Milky Way Over Spanish Daggers

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
I was able to find a great beginner scope on Craigslist for a third of msrp
My biggest challenge now is getting a case that I feel safe transporting it in.
But I’m looking forward to dark skies this year

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Following.....My wife gifted me a telescope for Christmas. Looking forward to taking it to the Jersey Pine Barrens
My son also got a telescope from Santa. We have had nothing but cloud cover since.

We did get to look at the moon and Jupiter.

We use the Sky Safari App to see what to check out and for a guide to where to look.

We have always star gazed...but as he nears 10 years of age...he is much more interested now.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

For those with clear skys this month is a great time to get out and enjoy.
All 5 of the naked eye planets are visible.
For those above with telescopes check out Comet C/2022 E3

Alyn Wallace puts out great monthly breakdown videos of What Is In The Night Sky (WITNS). Here is a link to this Month's

Boort

Last edited:
Reactions: MuckSavage

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

My son also got a telescope from Santa. We have had nothing but cloud cover since.

We did get to look at the moon and Jupiter.

We use the Sky Safari App to see what to check out and for a guide to where to look.

We have always star gazed...but as he nears 10 years of age...he is much more interested now.
Perhaps I'll venture out to the Bald Eagle Area this spring & we could meet up. I just set up my 'scope. A Celestron Star Sense Explorer LT. It's pretty cool that you attach your phone to the scope & the phone app gives detail of what you're looking at.