DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We got the cellphone set up on ours. The cloud cover never let the phone focus on the moon though.

I definitely need to get a better phone...ha. 1st pic is with just the phone next are it trying to focus. Damn clouds.

Attachments

Reactions: Boort

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
My wife and I are members of our local astronomy club, Rose City Astronomers, and I would definitely recommend finding a local club to get started with astronomy. They have great monthly presentations, new member orientations, a great library of telescopes and accessories that members can check out for a month at no cost, monthly special interest groups including a telescope workshop where folks can bring in telescopes and make sure they're working properly or learn how to use them.

My wife primarily uses a 10" Dobsonian telescope (manual type) and I use a Vaonis Vespera (EAA, Electronically Assisted Astronomy). We also bring binoculars and some comfortable Nemo Stargaze reclining chairs when we go out.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We love heading out to remote places for stargazing, gotten to the point where all the cameras, spotting scope, binoculars, drone take up a considerable amount of space in the Jeep. got tired of soft bags and pelican cases all over the place and ended up building a custom drawer cabinet behind the driver to hold most of the gear, rubber seals around the drawers have done a great job keeping out all the dust. Still trying to work on perfecting a space station image. Sometimes I have to remember to take a break from the cameras and just hang out on a blanket watching with our eyes. We have had great night sky experiences in Death Valley, San Rafael Swell and lots of Montana. Where we live in Western Washington not a lot of opportunities due to light pollution and lots of cloudy nights.

Contributor III

La Habra, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Duker
Love Astrophotograhy, but it takes up a huge amount of room in a vehicle. Working on a solution so I can take everything I need to camp in remote locations with my telescope and camera equipment.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Love Astrophotograhy, but it takes up a huge amount of room in a vehicle. Working on a solution so I can take everything I need to camp in remote locations with my telescope and camera equipment.
I feel ya on the space commitment.
I was able to get some great views of Jupiter in Anza Borrego last month though, glad my rig is so storage space rich

Contributor III

La Habra, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Duker
I feel ya on the space commitment.
I was able to get some great views of Jupiter in Anza Borrego last month though, glad my rig is so storage space rich
Thinking of taking my Sienna out to Anza Borrego for some Astrophotography next month...the added space will help. Figure I can get into Blair Valley a little ways without getting it stuck lol.

Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
I really like the Alabama Hills area for dark skies - going to Death Valley and SW Utah in a couple months for some more spots. I think I could get some really good shots in and around Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods.

Attachments

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Not the most “overland” but my wife and I do a year trip to Palomar.
They have a campsite a short walk to the main observatory, each campsite has a slab for telescopes

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Staunton River State Park in Virginia is a "International Dark Sky Park" and has telescopes you can use. Beautiful park and wonderful for those on or near the East Coast.
Zim
DSC05503-2.JPG

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Merrett Reservior in Nebraska is another "International Dark Sky Park". Have not gone there yet but there is a once a year gathering of astronomy enthusiasts in the fall I think.
Zim
mr_0.jpg

Reactions: Psfracer

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
I recently changed out my full size tripod with a "tabletop" tripod and it works wonders
It works great on the tailgate, but also works on any picnic benches if I'm slightly more on the grid.

Tripod

I purchased a mini table to try and have a stanadalone but it was too wobbly for my liking.
Thus, the kit refinement continues.