Launch Member

Enthusiast III

508 7th Street, Howe, IN, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Sturgill
Member #

Greetings all! I have camped and wheeled all over the Great Lakes State and have always been under the understanding that the BUGS are horrible early on in the season. I realize its camping in the outdoors, so looking for some insight and suggestions on what I can do to make my time in the spring more enjoyable. Products used as well as best times in the season to visit.

Thanks all! 0IIII0

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
If you've camped and wheeled all over Michigan ........... we should be asking you these questions. :confused::confused:

I grew up in Michigan (until 8th grade), humid and buggy in the summer.

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

I like some of the wash in bug repellant. I think Sawyers is the brand I’ve used in the past. When I’ve camped in the Okefenokee swamp in the summer months, I always hopped in the tent before sundown to avoid the swarms of mosquitos.

One thing I haven’t tried is lighting. I saw on Ronny Dahl’s YouTube channel something about using different colors of lights to avoid attracting bugs. I have no idea if there is any science behind this, but it seemed like it’s worth a try.

Misplaced Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Justin
Last Name
Sturgill
Member #

If you've camped and wheeled all over Michigan ........... we should be asking you these questions. :confused::confused:

I grew up in Michigan (until 8th grade), humid and buggy in the summer.
I should be more specific, I camped during the seasons that the bug chances were slim, in the fall mostly. I am also more interested in the UP as I here it’s much worse than the lower.

Misplaced Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Justin
Last Name
Sturgill
Member #

I like some of the wash in bug repellant. I think Sawyers is the brand I’ve used in the past. When I’ve camped in the Okefenokee swamp in the summer months, I always hopped in the tent before sundown to avoid the swarms of mosquitos.

One thing I haven’t tried is lighting. I saw on Ronny Dahl’s YouTube channel something about using different colors of lights to avoid attracting bugs. I have no idea if there is any science behind this, but it seemed like it’s worth a try.
What do you think about the Thermacell products, ever use them?

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

This is absolutely true. Phototaxis is the process by which insects are attracted to/or repelled away from light. Positive phototaxis = attractive, negative = repelled.

Yellow/Orange/Red light is at a longer wavelength than "white" light, and is generally less noticeable, to use a general term, to Positive Phototaxis insects like mosquitos, et. al.

[_BOONE_]

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Norway, MI, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Cherney
Member #

Black Flies in the UP, the females bite like a mad dog ! Mosquitos are cuddly in comparison !
Hey guys, this is not an understatement in the summertime evenings up here.

I’ve live up here in da U.P. my entire life, and it’s a beautiful place. And honestly I am still finding places to camp and explore!

It all depends on when and when you come up to visit..

Black Flies/ Deer flies are usually out from Mid-May through Late July. Mosquitoes are more towards August, but not too bad.
The end of August/September is normally pretty bug free for most areas. And is a great time to go camping! Because Fall camping is da best!