Spring Break 2018 Death Valley Overland Trip Planning March 25-29 - 03/25/2018

• HTML tutorial

5boomers

Rank 0

Traveler I

So cal
That’s a fantastic area and lots to see , recommend it for sure . Don’t know if I can be there after the ADV riders Death Valley noobs ride the weekend before your trip.
Following and looking forward to your report

Reactions: ArmyofMike

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Creator III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I just emailed my info. Catch you guys at the meet and greet. Can't miss me, I'll be the good looking one. lol.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
For those attending, I have received emails from these participants:
Blaine
Vitaliy
Chris
Winston
Chris G.
Steve
Marc
Mark

Thank you!

I will be sending some itinerary info, GPX way points/the route and other pertinent information in the next few weeks. Having your emails in advance will help. Also, if you are NOT able to attend now, please let me know. We have some alternates who may want your spot! Looking forward to it! 3/25/18 will come soon!

Thank you,
Mike

@ArmyofMike
@Fakawi Tribe
@Chris Gribble
@Skip
@Vitaliy
@escadventure
@buckwilk
@Theeds
@Boulder Burt
@BJP
@LRDSII
@Inthewoods
@BigDogKona

Tentative:
@RockRanger
@Stan the Man
@Jared L Rogers
@Michael

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Creator III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

This is going to be a cool trip. I been on all the jeep runs in the valley but never DV. I now have a reason get a couple things. Having a spare tire carrier made right now and a possible slide out 2 drawer/bed for my truck bed. Looking for someone that does wood work to make it right now. It will make things a little easier then taking boxes out and putting back in the truck.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
This is going to be a cool trip. I been on all the jeep runs in the valley but never DV. I now have a reason get a couple things. Having a spare tire carrier made right now and a possible slide out 2 drawer/bed for my truck bed. Looking for someone that does wood work to make it right now. It will make things a little easier then taking boxes out and putting back in the truck.
A slide out drawer system for a truck, especially a full size is good. I can imagine jumping up in and out of the bed can get tiring. There should be some craftsman near you or in Visalia who could build a drawer system.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I would like to go, if someone decides not to go let me know
artboose@gmail.com
@ArmyofMike: Let me know if a spot opens up! Also, I would be driving a stock 2014 FJ Cruiser, would it make it? haha. Thanks!
I am trying to hone down the list of the participants who can still make it and will let you both know ASAP.

@Martín So long as your FJ has 4WD and good tires, you should be OK. Lippencott Mine Road and Chloride City Roads will be the most challenging, but we will help you pick good lines. You should be A-OK.

M

Aidan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hi all,

Looks like this trip filled up, but I would be interested in doing the same trip (or a shortened trip) on a different weekend with other members. I am a novice, so would like 1-2 people with experience to join. Just reply if interested and we can get something going!

Reactions: punk and Danavision

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Creator III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Armyofmike, how does another meet and greet / DV trip meeting in March sound. I'm interested in seeing that dual battery system that your doing. I may have to wait till next trip for that one. I been taking an extra battery for now. Trying to squeeze in an on board air system between working 6 days a week.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Armyofmike, how does another meet and greet / DV trip meeting in March sound. I'm interested in seeing that dual battery system that your doing. I may have to wait till next trip for that one. I been taking an extra battery for now. Trying to squeeze in an on board air system between working 6 days a week.
Meet and greet sounds good. I'll schedule one soon.

The secondary battery is just a plan for now though. Still planning it before I implement. I am not sure where and how all the parts will work for my application and use yet.

ArmyofMike OB#7890

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Creator III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Hey guys, you all may have known this but I went to get my fire permit this morning and in talking to the lady, she asked if I was taking a 4th grader to DV. I said no but other members are I think and she said that if we have a 4th grader that we can go online or to the Forrest station and get a voucher. This free voucher is an all park pass and everyone one the car gets in free with the 4th grader. Its called 'every kid in the park voucher'. I'm new to DV so this is new to me but wanted to pass it on.

BigDogKona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Blaine
Last Name
Wiles
Member #

Hey guys, you all may have known this but I went to get my fire permit this morning and in talking to the lady, she asked if I was taking a 4th grader to DV. I said no but other members are I think and she said that if we have a 4th grader that we can go online or to the Forrest station and get a voucher. This free voucher is an all park pass and everyone one the car gets in free with the 4th grader. Its called 'every kid in the park voucher'. I'm new to DV so this is new to me but wanted to pass it on.
I'm taking my 4th grader... cool. Thanks for sharing.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I thought that expired when Obama left office! That's awesome that it's still going! Thanks for sharing!

ArmyofMike OB#7890

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
@ArmyofMike 16 is about max limit of rigs and still be manageable. I've led multiple trips with large groups the key is to be organized in itinerary and set expectations. Looks like you have that started above. Let me know if I can help you on the planning.

Last Year

@RobRed I have already sent those attending a detailed itinerary, GPX route, waypoints and information. I know running a large group will require a strict timeline to get all the stops, sights and locations in safely. We will be as high speed, low drag as possible, but also with the expectation we need to enjoy the beauty and wonder of DV! [emoji6][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: RobRed

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

@RobRed I have already sent those attending a detailed itinerary, GPX route, waypoints and information. I know running a large group will require a strict timeline to get all the stops, sights and locations in safely. We will be as high speed, low drag as possible, but also with the expectation we need to enjoy the beauty and wonder of DV! [emoji6][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
Sounds like you have it wired up. I might have missed it but what comms are you running on your trip?

punk

Rank 0

Traveler I

Let me know if there still is room, I was trying to do a trip there around the same time and my dad's not keen on solo off road travel. Would be me, my dad and maybe my girlfriend.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/death-valley-in-late-march-early-april.13024/

edit: after getting home and skimming through the whole thread kinda like aidan's idea and will get in contact with him. weekend and shorter trip would work better to get the girlfriend out there.

Last edited: