ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
It's time to plan my "Spring Break Non-sanctioned Overland Bound, Overland Bound trip" with Overland Bound Members. This year, it seems that Mojave Road has spurred my interest and others who went to Death Valley for Spring Break this year.

So, I'm putting out the call to those who went this year or those who would like to go next year (April 2019) for at least 5 nights (Sunday through Friday) in Mojave Preserve on the Mojave Road. It's approx 130 miles with many sights and scenery, moderate overland terrain, water crossings, lava tube caves, dry lake beds etc. I also plan to stop by Nelson Ghost Town (1hr North of the Eastern entrance to Mojave Road) on Sunday or Monday.

The itinerary, plans and routes are still in the works, and once I get my ducks in a row (no offense to my "ducklings" from this year) I will start to formulate plans, guides, routing etc for those who are participating. I am estimating the trip will be Drive to Mojave City/Bullhead, AZ area on Sunday, rally up, gas up and then start the adventure. I plan to be in Mojave through Friday morning and then head back to our homes/areas that day before the Easter Weekend (I AIN'T missing those deviled eggs!)

I am giving first right to refusal to those who made the full trip this year (Spring 2019), then I will open to those members who may want to join. I know it's a few months (6 months approx) until the trip, but I like to have a Spring Overland Trip planned as it is a great time to visit the deserts and gives plenty of time for members to request off (many of my friends, and those who went are public service and vacation requests need to be far in advance, Thanks for your service!) Also, this event will be posted in Rally Point, so only Members of Overland Bound will be able to participate.

So, here is the list of who went for the trip this Spring, I hope you can make it again. I should be able to accept a few more rigs than we had this year In Death Valley as Mojave Road isn't as stringent on number of vehicles in a group, and camping is a bit more plentiful.

Lastly, @Michael and @Corrie , the Founders of Overland Bound made an awesome documentary of their travels through Mojave Road last year and it can be found here:
Chime in if you can make it or are tentative:
@BigDogKona
@BJP
@Boulder Burt
@Fakawi Tribe
@Theeds
@Martín
@Skip
@Inthewoods
@Vitaliy

Mojave Road here we come!

Reactions: Budman

BJP

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Parsons
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VSS
Sounds awesome. Count us in as long as it is not scheduled for the first week of April due to a conflict.

Thx

Brad & Kris

Reactions: ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Sounds awesome. Count us in as long as it is not scheduled for the first week of April due to a conflict.

Thx

Brad & Kris
No, I'm planning it for April 14th through that Thursday/Friday the 19th, so I hope you both can make it! Also, I hope you both are doing well! Grant and Noah still talk about how nice you both were and Kris walking Noah down into Ubehebe Crater!

Also, if you still have the trailer, it would be great for this route! (There is some off camber terrain, but many a trailers have made it before. Also, the water crossing at the end may be deep, so depending on the fording ability of the trailer, bring it or don't! However, I also think there is a bypass route)

BJP

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Parsons
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VSS
No, I'm planning it for April 14th through that Thursday/Friday the 19th, so I hope you both can make it! Also, I hope you both are doing well! Grant and Noah still talk about how nice you both were and Kris walking Noah down into Ubehebe Crater!

Also, if you still have the trailer, it would be great for this route! (There is some off camber terrain, but many a trailers have made it before. Also, the water crossing at the end may be deep, so depending on the fording ability of the trailer, bring it or don't! However, I also think there is a bypass route)
Those dates work great. We do have the trailer. It has a higher clearance than our 4Runner so should not pose a problem. It will be great to travel with you guys again. Death Valley was a great trip.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Creator III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Yeah!!! I'm in. I'm in. I should have some extra add-ons to show. It be great to see the Death Valley group again, they were great. Is it windy in Mojave too?

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Hi Mike,

If you end up with <7? or more than 7?> (I can't remember which) in order to be 'official', you do need a permit that at the time of the 2017 trip cost $69, but you only need one.
You should start the process at least 60 days in advance because the wheels turn slowly in those offices, must be the desert heat.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer any.
This is a great trip and a good time of year to go there, you will very likely have very nice weather and the dry lake crossing and Mojave River crossing should be no problem - winter conditions dependent.

Dan.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Hi Mike,

If you end up with <7? or more than 7?> (I can't remember which) in order to be 'official', you do need a permit that at the time of the 2017 trip cost $69, but you only need one.
You should start the process at least 60 days in advance because the wheels turn slowly in those offices, must be the desert heat.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer any.
This is a great trip and a good time of year to go there, you will very likely have very nice weather and the dry lake crossing and Mojave River crossing should be no problem - winter conditions dependent.

Dan.
Got it, Thank you. I'm pretty sure we will be over 7 rigs and over 25 participants...

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/permitsandreservations.htm

Boulder Burt

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Granite Falls, WA
Member #

Mike and the rest of the Death Valley Gang,

I would love to go on this trip, sounds like a lot of fun. This is another trail I have wanted to do for a longtime, but haven't been able to talk anyone into driving all the way from the Northwest to do the trail. I will keep watching for more info.

Burt (boulderburt)

JJTaco13

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Madera, CA
First Name
Jesus
Last Name
Ortiz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZK
hi Miike, Jesus here (Martin's brother) with the white tacoma from dead valley... I am interested as well if there is room... thanks

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Have a great trip we will probably be there the week before.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Creator III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

fly boy, you'll want to join in on this trip. I posted " Who's doing a Mojave Rd trip? and this post came up and I jumped in. Mike lead the Death Valley trip this last March and I went on it and it was cool, so I have confidence that this one should be a great trip too. Till then you'll find me inthewoods.

Budman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasanton, CA
First Name
Larry
Last Name
ONeil
Member #

It's time to plan my "Spring Break Non-sanctioned Overland Bound, Overland Bound trip" with Overland Bound Members. This year, it seems that Mojave Road has spurred my interest and others who went to Death Valley for Spring Break this year.

So, I'm putting out the call to those who went this year or those who would like to go next year (April 2019) for at least 5 nights (Sunday through Friday) in Mojave Preserve on the Mojave Road. It's approx 130 miles with many sights and scenery, moderate overland terrain, water crossings, lava tube caves, dry lake beds etc. I also plan to stop by Nelson Ghost Town (1hr North of the Eastern entrance to Mojave Road) on Sunday or Monday.

The itinerary, plans and routes are still in the works, and once I get my ducks in a row (no offense to my "ducklings" from this year) I will start to formulate plans, guides, routing etc for those who are participating. I am estimating the trip will be Drive to Mojave City/Bullhead, AZ area on Sunday, rally up, gas up and then start the adventure. I plan to be in Mojave through Friday morning and then head back to our homes/areas that day before the Easter Weekend (I AIN'T missing those deviled eggs!)

I am giving first right to refusal to those who made the full trip this year (Spring 2019), then I will open to those members who may want to join. I know it's a few months (6 months approx) until the trip, but I like to have a Spring Overland Trip planned as it is a great time to visit the deserts and gives plenty of time for members to request off (many of my friends, and those who went are public service and vacation requests need to be far in advance, Thanks for your service!) Also, this event will be posted in Rally Point, so only Members of Overland Bound will be able to participate.

So, here is the list of who went for the trip this Spring, I hope you can make it again. I should be able to accept a few more rigs than we had this year In Death Valley as Mojave Road isn't as stringent on number of vehicles in a group, and camping is a bit more plentiful.

Lastly, @Michael and @Corrie , the Founders of Overland Bound made an awesome documentary of their travels through Mojave Road last year and it can be found here:
Chime in if you can make it or are tentative:
@BigDogKona
@BJP
@Boulder Burt
@Fakawi Tribe
@Theeds
@Martín
@Skip
@Inthewoods
@Vitaliy

Mojave Road here we come!
Count me in