Spring Appalachian Trip

• HTML tutorial

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

We are in full planning mode for our Spring Appalachian Trip. We have a few points we want to check out on the east side of the mountains but most of our trip will be exploring the west side. This trip we are also going to spend a lot more time out of the Jeep exploring on foot. Hey, exploring is exploring be it in a Jeep or on foot.

Any trip along the Appalachians heading north from Florida or Georgia has to start at the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC). Yes, its just my opinion but it is such a cool place and the food is great. On our last trip we had planned on exploring the three Nantahala dams but didn't have time, so we will be hitting them this time. The focal point of the three dams is the Fontana Dam and hiking part of the Appalachian Trail starting at the dam. We are also going to be running some trails in the Nantahala National Forest then checking out the Cherohala Skyway as we cross over the mountain.

Our first major stop will be the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. Plans call for several days of hiking, most notable being the John Muir Trail. Our next stop will be a brief one at the Cumberland Falls before heading to the Cumberland Gap National Park for another couple days of hiking.

The return route takes us through Del Rio and Hot Springs. Hot Springs is a notable stop on the Appalachian Trail and we plan to do some more hiking on the AT. Our next stop will be at the Jocassee Gorges and Table Rock in South Carolina. Our last stop will be at the Ocmulgee National Monument, Georgia, checking out the Indian Mounds.

We are still mapping out our route to spend less time on asphalt.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Sounds like a great trip. We were planning to go to the Appalachian Mts. this summer, but our trip plans are falling apart. Looking forward to your completed trip report and photos.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Update: We have been interested in a trip Mountain State Overland did last year ("Gettin Somewhere" video). After Cumberland Gap we will be heading down to Del Rio and then following Mountain State Overland's route to Big Creek then along the Old Cataloochee Turnpike to Sylva with a stop at the Judaculla Rock.

Reactions: rixham

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

One thing I didn't mention was this is also a scouting trip for a trip we are planning for next year. Part of our trip will be to find the perfect spot to experience the Solar Eclipse, likely somewhere in southeastern Tennessee.

If you are not aware, on 21 August 2017 a Solar Eclipse will cross North American. It will basically be visible from northern California to South Carolina. Just type in Solar Eclipse 2017 into Google (Image) and a ton of maps will come up so you can see exactly where it will be in your area.

Even if you aren't into star stuff, we experienced the 2000 European Solar Eclipse and I can tell you, it is an experience you will not forget.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

jtranum

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cleveland, MS
Member #

Do you have the routes from this trip? I am planning on being in this same area on Labor Day weekend coming up and would like some good trails and campsites. Thank!

erica stafford

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

louisiana
First Name
Erica
Last Name
Stafford
Member #

We are in full planning mode for our Spring Appalachian Trip. We have a few points we want to check out on the east side of the mountains but most of our trip will be exploring the west side. This trip we are also going to spend a lot more time out of the Jeep exploring on foot. Hey, exploring is exploring be it in a Jeep or on foot.

Any trip along the Appalachians heading north from Florida or Georgia has to start at the Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC). Yes, its just my opinion but it is such a cool place and the food is great. On our last trip we had planned on exploring the three Nantahala dams but didn't have time, so we will be hitting them this time. The focal point of the three dams is the Fontana Dam and hiking part of the Appalachian Trail starting at the dam. We are also going to be running some trails in the Nantahala National Forest then checking out the Cherohala Skyway as we cross over the mountain.

Our first major stop will be the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. Plans call for several days of hiking, most notable being the John Muir Trail. Our next stop will be a brief one at the Cumberland Falls before heading to the Cumberland Gap National Park for another couple days of hiking.

The return route takes us through Del Rio and Hot Springs. Hot Springs is a notable stop on the Appalachian Trail and we plan to do some more hiking on the AT. Our next stop will be at the Jocassee Gorges and Table Rock in South Carolina. Our last stop will be at the Ocmulgee National Monument, Georgia, checking out the Indian Mounds.

We are still mapping out our route to spend less time on asphalt.

If you have any points for the nantahala national forest are and also the eastern tennessee are could you please send some. Thanks in advance!