Spray on bedliner for rocksliders?

• HTML tutorial

Ganja_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monroe, Wa
Member #

Right now my rocksliders are rattle canned and the finish has taken quite a beating from gravel roads. Has anyone had any experiance with using DIY spray-on bed liner for your rocksliders? Any tips? What brand did you find was most durable?

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I think it depends on what you use them for. If you are using them as, well, rock sliders, then you may find the weight of the vehicle and the rock underneath do a pretty good job of pealing that beadliner right off. That was the case for my buddy, at least. If you are just bummed about pebbles and gravel pelting the underside of the sliders and chipping the rattle can paint then bedliner may help, mudflaps help too.

Jkroberts

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lake Forest CA
Member #

I bedlined the slider on my k30. Mostly for protection against gravel roads. On my k5 that sees rocks I just rattle canned them

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I used rust-oleum spray on bed liner on my front bumper and it still looks good after almost a year.

Sent from my LGMS631 using OB Talk mobile app
I used the rustoleum spray on liner on the bed rails of a truck. they looked great, but didn't hold up well against scratches. I'm not sure if there are different versions, but 3 coats wasn't thick enough for me.

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

I'm gonna try that monstaliner stuff and try to mix it out a little smoother...I just saw a jeep that he painted body with and it was holding up and looking great a year later after trail use...I'm planning on doing rails and bumpers

@viva_el_dusto

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I think it depends on what you use them for. If you are using them as, well, rock sliders, then you may find the weight of the vehicle and the rock underneath do a pretty good job of pealing that beadliner right off. That was the case for my buddy, at least. If you are just bummed about pebbles and gravel pelting the underside of the sliders and chipping the rattle can paint then bedliner may help, mudflaps help too.
Exactly this!

I've scraped most of the paint off the underside of my sliders a couple of times, and I think any brand of bedliner would have had the same result.
That said, I'm a huge fan of DupliColor stuff based on gallons of paint experience, one rattle can at a time. I really like their bedliner in the spray can. Takes quite a long time to dry, but the result is so good.

Jkroberts

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lake Forest CA
Member #

Also... just stepping into my k5 eventually scrapes through the spray paint as well... bedline the top and paint the bottom haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Or, if you believe in buy once cry once, you can have it powder coated and then treated with a hardener. Still may scrape off over time but you'll get a lot more use out of it without re applying.

Teh_Viking

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ventura Ca
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Roosendahl
Member #

I would stick to the rattle can, I had sliders on my jeep, once I scraped them a few times water started getting under the power coat and it started to rust. Try applying clear within an hour of whatever color you choose. I resprayed my leafs and frame and the clear makes it last so much longer plus keeps the shine. Plus its cheap and very little prep to touch up. You can do the same with rattle can bedliner as well, touch up when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

U-Pol Raptor did my rockers and front and rear bumper. It eventually wears but just rub down and coat again