Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'd like to be at the Pine Springs Ranger Station around 10:30 on Saturday if at all possible. I'm alone so I know getting up and breaking camp in the morning is quick and easy for me. Is that a realistic time for everyone else? Probably need to leave camp around 9:30. That too early?

Reactions: Levidale

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Probably not too early, but depending on pace, we may sit out Williams Ranch Rd and stay at camp. Likely will go.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

We can play it by ear. Maybe split up between folks who want to do Williams Ranch and those who want to do Carlsbad caverns.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

We need to get definitive counts. You, me, and Stxhunt are meeting Friday. Who is meeting us Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Semper Adventure

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Service Branch
USAM
I'd probably be looking at sometime Saturday evening. Ill be stopping in Pueblo, CO on Friday night after my drive up to grab this trailer. Quick run around the Pueblo Lake and ill be back on the road. I think it's about 6 hours down too where you all will be from Pueblo.

Reactions: Levidale

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I'd probably be looking at sometime Saturday evening. Ill be stopping in Pueblo, CO on Friday night after my drive up to grab this trailer. Quick run around the Pueblo Lake and ill be back on the road. I think it's about 6 hours down too where you all will be from Pueblo.
Cool. If you email me your number, I'll add you to the sat tracker so you can find us.

Ryan@overlandbound.com

Reactions: DEAF_JEEPHER

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

@Ryan Matthes I think you already have my number. If anyone else wants my number in case feel free to email me (cjones@overlandbound.com).

OK, So full spiel.

Reminder, if you are heading out Friday, we are meeting in Whites City at the Shell station. That's right, THE shell station. There's only one, you can't miss it. But just in case, 32.175045, -104.376131. We will be meeting there sometime around 3:00 pm. If you are going to be later then you can follow the tracker to see where we are headed to camp for the night.

Saturday: We are going to play this by ear. I know that I will be heading to Williams Ranch mid morning. I'm trying to be at the Pine Springs Ranger Station (GMNP) mid morning to get the key to the gate. The other option is hanging in camp for a bit longer and hitting up Carlsbad Caverns. It's possible to do both but that could mean we have some tight scheduling. Again, we are going to play this by ear. If you are doing Williams Ranch you will need to meet me and whoever else at the Pine Springs Ranger Station. We are trying for 10:00 am but could be a little later. I am guessing a similar scenario will play out for the Caverns if we split up (meeting at the park I'm sure). We will head back up into LNF to find another cool camping spot Saturday night.

Sunday: No agenda. Wake up, chill in camp a little, check out the maps and see where we feel like exploring. Set up camp and chill some more at night. I believe Ryan has to break off to go do important stuff with important people in the afternoon, whatever...

Monday: I have a long drive back to ATX so I will be heading out after breaking camp.

Communications:
If you need my number email me.

I would prefer CB for the trail but I do have a VHF handheld I can use if we decide to go that route. I think Ryan has some handhelds to share.

Gear:
Please take the terrain and weather into consideration. It will likely be pretty warm during the day so make sure you have water for you and fluids for your vehicle. We will be primarily on soft roads so hardcore recovery gear may not be necessary but if you have it you should always bring it. I personally don't have all my gear, it was borrowed by a friend who hasn't returned it yet and is out of town so I may need to borrow something from whoever does Williams Ranch with me (the road is pretty bad and hasn't been maintained in 30 years).
The nights may be cool so make sure your camping gear is adequate.
It was also recommended that we bring extra fuel. I've been through there and that shell in Whites City is pretty much it so I agree. Unfortunately I have no way to store fuel on the outside of my rig anymore so I need to figure something out. I don't think everyone needs to carry fuel but if you have the ability please do (there should be plenty of fuel between a couple of us to send a rig on a fuel run if needed).

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Nicely done Chris.

I checked weather. Highs around 90 during the day, low around 60 at night for the southern portion. Depending on how far north we make it on Saturday afternoon, could be a hair cooler.

Reactions: MA_Trooper