Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

Edisto Beach State Park (https://southcarolinaparks.com/edisto-beach) has a campground on the ocean.

The road to Edisto Beach is full of ancient oaks that cover the road, dotted by plantations, and is not crowded by tourists.

Further south is Hunting Island State Park (https://southcarolinaparks.com/hunting-island/camping) which is near Beaufort. I’ve never been there but I’ve seen pics from friends who have and it looks amazing.

Just carry bug spray for the sand gnats/noseeum’s.

SerranoLuis1980

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Elgin, South Carolina
Member #

Edisto Beach State Park (https://southcarolinaparks.com/edisto-beach) has a campground on the ocean.

The road to Edisto Beach is full of ancient oaks that cover the road, dotted by plantations, and is not crowded by tourists.

Further south is Hunting Island State Park (https://southcarolinaparks.com/hunting-island/camping) which is near Beaufort. I’ve never been there but I’ve seen pics from friends who have and it looks amazing.

Just carry bug spray for the sand gnats/noseeum’s.
Awesome!! Thanks.

Reactions: vanbuskirk

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I spent a week In Edisto Beach State Park 2 years ago at the end of the season. 4 nights in the off the beach loop and the last three on the beach loop. The off the beach loop had some mosquitos,but had the most vicious bunch of raccoons I've encountered. They didn't get any of our food, but I still have marks on my cooler from them trying. On the beach there was a nice breeze off the surf that kept the mosquitos at bay but there were some biting flys hanging around. Walked up to Shell Island almost daily, loved sitting there watching the surf roll in though not a great spot to swim IMHO. Lots of sharks feeding there near the mouth of the rivers, but fun to watch them play in the surf chasing prey at dusk. Despite the pests it's still one of my favorite camping trips.

Last edited:

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Me and two other rigs are going out to the National Seashore off southeastern NC for a couple of days of riding and hanging out. Not sure how hard that area got hit and affected by Florence though.

Freeman Park is a beach I've camped on plenty of times. Fun.

Reactions: SerranoLuis1980

SandlapperOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
First Name
Jon
Last Name
T
Member #

I’m going to have to check that one out as well. I’m thinking on going to the Edisto in a week or two and doing some scout but I’m pretty sure it was hit pretty hard.
I looked in to camping at Edisto for the next 4 weeks and they’re booked for the weekends.

They require you to book for 2 nights and they are pretty pricey for a campsite.

If you make it down check out Swig & Swine BBQ in on Savannah Highway in Charleston.

Eric D

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Beaufort, SC
Member #

I’m going to have to check that one out as well. I’m thinking on going to the Edisto in a week or two and doing some scout but I’m pretty sure it was hit pretty hard.
I live in Beaufort and Hunting Island is great! We’re very close to Edisto as well. We barely got any effects of Florence (a little wind and almost no rain) so Edisto beach should be fine.

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

Edisto is one of my favorite places on the east coast, but make your reservations early, and make them for the island, not back on the mainland. The bugs on the mainland sites will carry you, your truck, and everyone you know away at some times of year.

Be aware that Edisto is popular, so not a 'wilderness camping experience' by any means. The sites near the dunes, tucked up in the oaks are some of the most beautiful drive in sites I've ever stayed in though.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Lots of good options throughout the Outerbanks and Southern NC coastline - Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, etc. - HOWEVER, with the recent storm damage, I would recommend contacting the local Sheriff Department of any of the places that either people suggest or you find online to see what the latest closures and conditions might be - we have found that they are more than willing to chat and update you as to what is currently open.