Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I've done 8 hour drives with no music, I kind of get tired of listening to music for some reason....
But I do like me some 80s punk and rock for a little while.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I was a teen during the 80's.. sooo AD/DC, Def Leppard,RATT,Metallica,Cinderella,DIO,Queensryche,Triumph, Rush,Ted Nugent,Kiss, Offspring and on and on.. NOW, that I'm 50..FFDP,Godsmack,Ghost,In This Moment,Metallica, DIO, Rammstein, Avatar, Volbeat, the HU, Disturbed, almost anything with heavy bass.. Mainly on pavement and loud when I'm alone.. same stuff when wheeling just quieter as to concentrate better. Lately, I've been listening to some Nordic/Celtic metal bands..

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

For me nothing beats bluegrass music. It’s lively, hard driving for the most part. I play banjo and some guitar so try to continue playing afterwards. Dixieland, 50s and 60s rock, and real country music are also favourites.
When I’m concentrating on driving in bad weather or heavy traffic I turn off the music.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Easy Rider - 1969.

Saw it when it first came out in theatres as a teen, though did not know for years that it was John Kay's (lead man for Steppenwolf) phrase "heavy metal thunder" in this song that lent itself to the term Heavy Metal as a genre of music.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yep, I remember. A GREAT song for road trips. BTW: I started high school in 1969. The days of pocket transistor radios and 45 records (vinyl - my first 45 was "Mony Mony").

Yep, exactly. I was already in HS a couple yrs by then. My 1st ever 45, if I remember right, was the Stone's Paint It Black.

I remember buying Beatles LPs like Sgt Pepper's upon first release in the local Arlan's and going down to Swallen's, where if you bought more than $10 in albums (which usually got you three just released albums at 3.99 ea) you got a 10% discount.

I was the music guy in HS and had SO many albums I financed a 9 week trip across the country to California and back by selling some to classmates. Many were never re-pressed.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I'll play. Love the old, and some of the new but I've been obsessed with TOTO the last few months. These guys were and still are mega talented.
Steve Lukather has been asked to play with every imaginable artist for decades and still plays with the Beatles tribute band and Ringo.
Zim

Last edited:

Patman

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Hollister, Ca
First Name
Patrik
Last Name
Hultin
Member #

Like many I have a diverse taste. Pretty much anything except "pop country" I can deal with old twangy stuff, or "southern rap" but thats it for country.

My goto is Pandora "guardians of the galaxy" station. Excellent mix of 70s/80s. That's when my daughter is with me.

When its me, it swings between quality rap, like Jurassic 5, NF, Eminem, Lyrics Born, HIlltop Hoods, etc. Lots of Dubstep/techno/house. Newwave, old school punk. Blues/Rock (Clutch, Company Band, Royal Blood, etc.)

Lately I've been listening to allot of lectures while driving (I drive a lot for work), Science, TedTalks, silly ancient aliens type stuff.

Generally when off pavement, not much on the radio, unless its highspeed dirt, then its Pennywise, Bad Religion...REALLY Loud!!

I have one bucket list song/situation that I'm working towards. I need to listen to Toto, sing about Africa, while I'm riding my Africa Twin, in Africa. The "Africa Trifecta" will happen someday..

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Mostly my playlist when off on adventures tends to be traditional Irish and Scottish tunes a collection of sea shanties and other maritime music, and golden oldies, although my taste in music is very eclectic and there are even things like Andrea Bocceli thrown in now and then.

One band I recently discovered that I absolutely adore is Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats. These guys are absolutely phenomenal, and as soon as I get the chance, I plan to buy a couple of their CD's to keep in the rig.

Their music could be described as perhaps old school American soul rock. It's got an incredible sound, and t many people mention, and I agree, that they have this uncanny ability to create songs that seem somehow familiar and cherished even though you're hearing them for the first time.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Alt-country, Americana, bluegrass for traveling: Colter Wall, Vincent Neil Emerson, The White Buffalo, Greensky Bluegrass, Blitzen Trapper, John Moreland, Shovels & Rope, Charles Wesley Godwin.

For intense things, good old rock & roll: Linkin Park, Seether, Hellyeah, Metallica, Slipknot, Drowning Pool, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Podcasts are great, too. Download a few for the backcountry before you lose internet service.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I will listen to just about anything. My current kick is a cappella groups.

These guys are pretty awesome.

CaptSourPatch

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wenatchee, Chelan County, Washington, United States
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Miller
Like many I have a diverse taste. Pretty much anything except "pop country" I can deal with old twangy stuff, or "southern rap" but thats it for country.

My goto is Pandora "guardians of the galaxy" station. Excellent mix of 70s/80s. That's when my daughter is with me.

When its me, it swings between quality rap, like Jurassic 5, NF, Eminem, Lyrics Born, HIlltop Hoods, etc. Lots of Dubstep/techno/house. Newwave, old school punk. Blues/Rock (Clutch, Company Band, Royal Blood, etc.)

Lately I've been listening to allot of lectures while driving (I drive a lot for work), Science, TedTalks, silly ancient aliens type stuff.

Generally when off pavement, not much on the radio, unless its highspeed dirt, then its Pennywise, Bad Religion...REALLY Loud!!

I have one bucket list song/situation that I'm working towards. I need to listen to Toto, sing about Africa, while I'm riding my Africa Twin, in Africa. The "Africa Trifecta" will happen someday..
Ok. I’m gonna have to check out the “Guardians of the Galaxy” station on Pandora. If you like the 90’s hip hop/rap stuff, I recommend “Hip Hop BBQ” on Pandora. That’s a good one. And a couple artsists I feel you may like are “Prof” ( song-Andre the Giant) and “Ekoh” (song-Pickle Rick). I just started listening to these two. Really enjoying their flow.

Reactions: Patman

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Hip hop/rap is probably the one type of "music" I absolutely cannot tolerate. I can manage to enjoy just about anything else.

Rap? No. To each his own, though, of course.

Reactions: Arailt
D

Deleted member 14476

And with the above being said, I’ll throw my hat in the ring and say I mostly listen to rap hahaha.

Mac Miller, Kanye, Pop Smoke, Drake, Yelawolf, Caskey, Snot, Suicideboys, just to name very few. My rap playlist I made for this year’s new songs is 17 hours long so far.

I also rotate to rock
Kublai Khan TX, Turnstile, Iron Maiden, GnR, Disturbed, Machine Head, Metallica, and Falling in Reverse

Lots of EDM too but I won’t get into that lol

Ironically though, as a farmer that lives and works out in the middle of nowhere, and embodies the country lifestyle essentially…I don’t like country music too much. Too slow paced for me.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

We take a slightly different path and often listen to podcasts. One of our current favorites is "Small Town Murder" which is a comedy show that talks about these very odd ball murders that take place around the US. Not funny about the murder of course, but about the murderer. I know it sounds a bit whacky but check it out.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Spotify is my goto now. I hardly ever listen to satelite radio anymore. I have several playlists downloaded in case I am out of cell range.

I got turned on to Pelican my a member on another forum. Great driving music. Mostly instrumental. Not sure how to define them. Post-Metal, Metalcore, Stoner Rock, Space Rock?