Solo Trip - Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route?

• HTML tutorial

Jonathan Haguewood

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kingwood, TX
Member #

Good morning,

In mid-June, my wife will be on a long work trip and my daughter will be spending a week with the grandparents. Looking to maximize on the time and take a solo trip out to CO. Being new to overlanding, I'm not looking for any intense off-road or ultra-remote locations. Just looking for some places to tool around, camp out, and just get away for a while.

And I completely understand the travel in packs mentality and totally agree. The reason I'm posting this, is that I'm looking for advice on places that would be OK to travel and camp by my lonesome. I have a family so I'm not looking to die on this trip...

I've been looking at a few sections of the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route. It looks like much of it is easily doable with a stock 4x4. That being said, I'd like to get some opinions from anyone who has traveled it... especially if there are any sections to stay away from for a noob on a solo trip, like myself.

Again, not looking for any intense wheeling or getting completely isolated. Just needing some fresh mountain air away from the concrete and masses of Houston, TX.

I'm open to other locations in CO as well... Preferably the more central, mountainous areas.

Thanks, y'all!

Jonathan

Jonathan Haguewood

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kingwood, TX
Member #

Did you make this trip? We are headed out next weekend for a similar getaway.
Good afternoon! Unfortunately, I did not. Ran into some last minute emergency dental work that derailed my plans (and checkbook)... If you end up making it happen, I'd love to hear about it. Still planning on making this trip happen at some point. Good luck!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
It is hard to find trails in Colorado where you would be all by your lonesome. You really have to try hard to go more than a few hours without seeing another vehicle. The San Juan's are the closest to you and you will find half the people there are from Texas.

Justin Lee

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pensacola, FL, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Lee
Nobody has any information? I wish I could help you, but all I can offer is an extra passenger if you feel like swinging through San Antonio! Best of luck making this trip happen.

Lost-Again

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Again
Member #

I’ll be up there by my lonesome knocking around the San Juan area 1st week in September, after most of the summer vacationers are gone.

Reactions: Louisiana Overland