Tim
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9BWA
Service Branch
Merchant Marines
I would have to say that about 75% of my outings are solo. I prefer going to remote locations, but the wife prefers car camping at designated campgrounds. She also doesn't have the vacation time I do... so I get away several time per year and do my own thing.

On my solo trips I look for remote places up in the Minnesota Arrowhead region where I can boondock, or remote camp, and get some fishing in.

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Since I don’t have a winch, I’m not terribly hesitant about turning around if something looks too challenging. Hopefully, that will work in my favor this trip and I won’t overestimate what I can do. Mainly going for the scenery as I don’t have a ton of interest in rock climbing, etc.
There's a key in this statement. There's no shame in scouting the trail, finding an alternate route, or turning back. Don't exceed you personal (driver, hiker, medic, etc.) capabilities, and don't exceed your vehicle's capabilities, and you'll have a great trip.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Most important thing of solo trips is being happy with who you have for company. Are they quiet or do they blab all the time.
Sometimes it the best or worse conservation I have that day. When I can't hear the voices in my head I wonder what they are planing.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Solo travel is not without additional risk, but traveling at your own pace is pretty incredible. When traveling with others, sometimes you are so comfortable that your eyes are only half open. The trips I now remember most vividly were the ones where I was alone, at least for a day or two.

Reactions: Fernando1967

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Well, being as I’m doing a similar trip solo, but a few weeks earlier (sans CO), I’ll let you know:). I went to SE UT last summer and I enjoyed it enough that I’m going back by myself this May to hit the remote places I missed last summer (we did all the NP). This trip, I may do some of Capital Reef and Canyonlands, but tbose are not the focus. It’s a magical place!

Since I don’t have a winch, I’m not terribly hesitant about turning around if something looks too challenging. Hopefully, that will work in my favor this trip and I won’t overestimate what I can do. Mainly going for the scenery as I don’t have a ton of interest in rock climbing, etc.
I am currently on my way home from spending one night in TX, NM, and CO around the main event of four nights in UT. My only recommendation is GO. I went solo and had a fabulous time. Overall, it will be 8 nights solo and two nights at a family member’s place. I can’t believe how few people I saw in UT and of those several were solo. I probably overestimated my capabilities on one trail, but I made it unscathed, though I need to check the skidplates:). It amazes me how quiet the campsites are relative to those near my home. I was able to find sites at 8,000 ft that were much cooler than those at lower elevations, which made sleeping easier. It was close to 90 during the day at lower elevations. Go and have fun!!

skiroc

Rank I

Contributor III

Bishop
First Name
Don
Last Name
Chambers
I just retired after 44 years with the same software company. It was an intense job, and my wife understood the need for me to get out by myself to unwind. I often spend 7 – 10 days by myself wandering around Death Valley. I’m not a mechanic so a reliable truck has always been important. I’ve never been stranded. I’ve had a Spot since v1 and today use an inReach. I ping my wife an “ok” message each night.

I was a climber for decades so where I was on the edge was some of my adventures while out by myself. Soloing backcountry routes up to 5.8 or so felt comfortable, but no longer. Today I stick to scrambling, maybe easy 4th class stuff, but mainly just hiking, exploring, fly fishing, photography.

I’ve only had one emergency and it was a doozy. By myself, out a 4x4 road, no cell service. Immediate slamming pain in my chest. Long story…blah, blah, I was found and life flighted to Loma Linda for emergency heart surgery.

I retired two months ago, now live in Bishop, and still get out. My wife is less happy with the idea, but after all these decades she knows that I still “need” this time by myself.

My first post, sorry so long!

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I did a lot of solo last year and loved it. Went for a week without seeing a soul - I just went bush and base camped by myself. I am very comfortable being alone in the wild. Indeed I need time alone - it isn't the same even with just one other person.

I have a 2020 4Runner, Icon stage 6, winch, armor and it now has 30,000 miles on it - not likely to break yet. I have turned back from some trails as I won't push it - if I had a buddy I would have gone further. I have a zoleo and I send a check in every day. I am not a mechanic - if it breaks I will look at it, but probably would need someone to rescue me. Which is why I don't go on anything sketchy. And after a year I am not that inclined to get sketchy except for short stretches even in company. I don't want to break my truck. The joy for me is being out with nature. National Parks are mostly too crowded for me now - the scenery may be exceptional but if I am in stop and go traffic the experience is depressing. That was Zion last year.

On Imogene there will be a number of other people. I might consider chatting with some people and see if I could tag along - my 4Runner is way more capable than my skills. But I would be very gentle about raising the issue - best if they saw me as a solo and invited me, lol, and in chatting I got a sense that they knew what they were doing.

I am booking up a lot of group trips this year. I still have a few places I want to go I will want company - like Coyote Flats and Funnel Lake above Bishop. I am sure I could solo it, but I would be happier with another set of eyes I suspect.
Coyote Flats is on my list. You described my overland philosophy perfectly. I have a very capable rig. I love the journey as well as the destination. I want to get to places that the journey acts like a gate keeper for the masses. I also don't want to break my rig. I have no problems solo, and have an inReach so I can always call for help, medical, mechanical or otherwise. There is nothing like the thrill of being totally self-reliant. I'm very careful choosing my routes, and being mindful of the trailer I'm pulling. I was recently alone on a 3000-4000' descent. It was steep and rocky in parts, some shelf road but no off camber. There was a definite pucker factor, but I went slow and carefully chose my lines like my life depended on it. Was proud and relieved when I got to the bottom in one piece.

I prefer to overland with like minded people, but have no problem being alone.

Lumber

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

You all have a bunch of great stories! It's funny that we have so much to share with others about trying to be alone.

I did another solo trip last month to the BLM area just south of Fallon, NV. I planned a very long route just to see how far I could get but after a very long day of driving (150mi of highway to get there then 60mi of trails) I was pretty beat. I had decided to follow a powerline road for much of the route which turned out to be a bit of a mistake. Those always seem to be the least maintained trails in the area and usually the most treacherous. Many miles of shelf roads and more than a couple of places where turning around to go back might not have been an option. Everything turned out OK but like all mistakes you survive, it's a learning experience. I did catch some truly amazing views though. Sadly, after a long, hot day I was looking for a decent camp site but there wasn't a single tree within 20 miles and no rock formations that weren't in the middle of a wash. I wasn't thrilled with camping out in the open, it was getting windy and some clouds over the mountains looked questionable. I decided to air back up a bit to go down a nearby paved highway and get some gas before continuing my route to find a decent site before dark. As I fought my tire carrier to open my back hatch and get out my compressor, it came back and the hi-lift mounted to the top of it cracked me right between the eyes. So with blood pouring down my face I decided that was it for this trip, things just didn't seem to be going my way so I headed home. As soon as I hit the highway home I started second guessing myself thinking I just ruined a great trip by packing it in... then the rain started. It started pouring about the time I hit Fallon. I don't know for sure what it looked like back on those powdery trails but my guess is it wasn't pretty. So sometimes, those instincts work I guess. Sure was a long drive home though.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
You all have a bunch of great stories! It's funny that we have so much to share with others about trying to be alone.

I did another solo trip last month to the BLM area just south of Fallon, NV. I planned a very long route just to see how far I could get but after a very long day of driving (150mi of highway to get there then 60mi of trails) I was pretty beat. I had decided to follow a powerline road for much of the route which turned out to be a bit of a mistake. Those always seem to be the least maintained trails in the area and usually the most treacherous. Many miles of shelf roads and more than a couple of places where turning around to go back might not have been an option. Everything turned out OK but like all mistakes you survive, it's a learning experience. I did catch some truly amazing views though. Sadly, after a long, hot day I was looking for a decent camp site but there wasn't a single tree within 20 miles and no rock formations that weren't in the middle of a wash. I wasn't thrilled with camping out in the open, it was getting windy and some clouds over the mountains looked questionable. I decided to air back up a bit to go down a nearby paved highway and get some gas before continuing my route to find a decent site before dark. As I fought my tire carrier to open my back hatch and get out my compressor, it came back and the hi-lift mounted to the top of it cracked me right between the eyes. So with blood pouring down my face I decided that was it for this trip, things just didn't seem to be going my way so I headed home. As soon as I hit the highway home I started second guessing myself thinking I just ruined a great trip by packing it in... then the rain started. It started pouring about the time I hit Fallon. I don't know for sure what it looked like back on those powdery trails but my guess is it wasn't pretty. So sometimes, those instincts work I guess. Sure was a long drive home though.
You know we had a conversation a while ago about if we should keep or remove the Hi-Lift jack... I guess that is one reason to keep it...
something to knock some sense into us!

Glad you made it out, sounds like all in all a pretty good adventure! -

• Haha
Reactions: MMc

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

Yes, instinct. I get it. A family member decided a couple of years ago to dump a pile of money into a vehicle and a crap ton of gear so that he could join my wife & I on our trips. We have been going solo for decades. Good habits & Instinct has kept us safe and intact over those years. First time out with another? Millions of questions, why? what for? are you sure? To the point that I started second guessing myself. To the point that I threw in the proverbial towel only to find ourselves at an organized campsite with a crap load of people all around us, not to mention, way too much trash. ( my wife and I can be out for a week and not even come close to filling up our trash bag or our recycle bag ) I was right on the edge of blowing up. My wife and I went for a very long walk in the woods. She calmed me down. I agreed that I must take the time to explain to a newbie, why cases of small bottled water suck, why I am anal retentive about keeping a very clean & orderly campsite, why we prepare simple, basic foods, why we pull the dry food box down, remove what we need, close the dry box up and put it back, ( multiple times a day ) etc etc. that evening I commented about my anal retentiveness. He wondered aloud, ya, why? I replied, well, think about it. If we are setting up, tearing down, getting ready for bed, during any kind of adverse weather conditions, would you be leaving stuff lying around, your food box open, etc etc, or would you be tidying up as you go along? The answer was obvious. So! Why not be in the habit of doing so, then if adverse weather is happening, it won’t be bothersome at all, you’ll already be in the habit of keeping your camp in order. In short? I prefer just being out with my better half. We can set up & break down camp without saying a word. Instinct? Instinct has gotten us to some of the best campsites ever.

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Yes, instinct. I get it. A family member decided a couple of years ago to dump a pile of money into a vehicle and a crap ton of gear so that he could join my wife & I on our trips. We have been going solo for decades. Good habits & Instinct has kept us safe and intact over those years. First time out with another? Millions of questions, why? what for? are you sure? To the point that I started second guessing myself. To the point that I threw in the proverbial towel only to find ourselves at an organized campsite with a crap load of people all around us, not to mention, way too much trash. ( my wife and I can be out for a week and not even come close to filling up our trash bag or our recycle bag ) I was right on the edge of blowing up. My wife and I went for a very long walk in the woods. She calmed me down. I agreed that I must take the time to explain to a newbie, why cases of small bottled water suck, why I am anal retentive about keeping a very clean & orderly campsite, why we prepare simple, basic foods, why we pull the dry food box down, remove what we need, close the dry box up and put it back, ( multiple times a day ) etc etc. that evening I commented about my anal retentiveness. He wondered aloud, ya, why? I replied, well, think about it. If we are setting up, tearing down, getting ready for bed, during any kind of adverse weather conditions, would you be leaving stuff lying around, your food box open, etc etc, or would you be tidying up as you go along? The answer was obvious. So! Why not be in the habit of doing so, then if adverse weather is happening, it won’t be bothersome at all, you’ll already be in the habit of keeping your camp in order. In short? I prefer just being out with my better half. We can set up & break down camp without saying a word. Instinct? Instinct has gotten us to some of the best campsites ever.
I understand keeping a clean neat camp! Most of my camping is in the west and Baja, weaver isn't much of an issue. I AM the issue, I like my life organized, if it takes me more than 5 mins to put my hands on something, squaring it up is next on my list.
My dry food box is always closed and locked as I hate rodents and bugs in it. My rollup cooking utensil is closed as I don't like the dust it collects. the camp box is closed for the same reasons. When I am solo, it takes me a couple of days to fill a gal ziplock bag with waste. it has a place too. The number one reason I keep my camp neat is I like too.

Reactions: MOAK

Lumber

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

You know we had a conversation a while ago about if we should keep or remove the Hi-Lift jack... I guess that is one reason to keep it...
something to knock some sense into us!

Glad you made it out, sounds like all in all a pretty good adventure! -
Thanks. I guess our trips are a bit like landings, any one you can walk away from is a good one.

• Love
Reactions: grubworm

Lumber

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Those are great points! Hopefully he will pick up some of your knowledge and understand the reasoning behind it because that's the real lesson.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
I have only ever done solo trips, its actually one of the reasons I joined Overland Bound is cause I wanted to see if there were people it would be cool to ride with over some trails that I would avoid solo. I'm very much antisocial so I dip my toes for a long time. And I have not yet gone out with anyone and some of the trips I see on the FB forums that have like 30 vehicle outings and are more of an off roader excursion cancels me out of those trips as its overwhelming to me and as well I see some people who I have no interest in riding with on those trips.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Michaels attitude and the community he has developed here. This has made me more and more comfortable to open up around others here and so its been pretty great.

One of the features Michael talks about that you might want to take advantage of is to find those spots you want to hit but not solo, and find members local to those locations along your trip and both get advice and or see if anyone wants to hit that particular spot with you so the areas you dont feel comfortable solo you can either have members know your are on trail and check in after you are out so they know to check in if they dont hear from you or can hit the trail with you so you can get the best of both worlds.

just my $2 (adjusted for inflation)

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions on solo overlanding. I’m planning a trip from Florida to Utah and back through Colorado and will hopefully include as many trails as possible, like Hurricane pass, California Pass, Rimrocker, and White Rim (I have permits and reservation for WR). As of now I have scratched Imogene from the list as from what I have read it is not for solo travel. I’ll be heading up the first 2 weeks of June so there is a chance some of the passes might be closed.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on driving and camping these roads alone.

Pretty confident in my rig which is a Jeep JKU with Metalcloak lift, winch and more.
How did the trip go? I am in the same situation in terms of going solo. Let me know. Thanks

AVH

Rank IV

Traveler III

Boca Raton, FL, USA
First Name
Anton
Last Name
vanHeerden
Member #

I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions on solo overlanding. I’m planning a trip from Florida to Utah and back through Colorado and will hopefully include as many trails as possible, like Hurricane pass, California Pass, Rimrocker, and White Rim (I have permits and reservation for WR). As of now I have scratched Imogene from the list as from what I have read it is not for solo travel. I’ll be heading up the first 2 weeks of June so there is a chance some of the passes might be closed.

Pretty confident in my rig which is a Jeep JKU with Metalcloak lift, winch and more.
How did the trip go? I am in the same situation in terms of going solo. Let me know. Thanks
It was amazing! I ended up doing half of the trip solo (UT) and met up with a friend in CO to do the second half. No problem at all going solo. Lots of other rigs around that you cross paths with.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Being calculated is wise, Inreach and other devices are best, don't take unnecessary risk. Solo camping, solo exploration, solo overlanding, means all the same... alone. Solo camp