Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canton, TX, USA
First Name
Tres
Last Name
Sisson
Member #

I've been using Goal Zero products for a while now. I first got introduced to them when I was working for Thule and had a full solar array hooked into the truck - mostly to power all of my test equipment. Since then, I've picked up their Yeti 400 and Nomad 100 panel and use those quote a bit on the trail, at camp, etc. I know there have been a lot of innovations and their might even be better options out there, but their gear is easy to use - familiar to me - and I can't beat it. I also have their Venture 30 and Sherpa 50 which are smaller packs I use for smaller items if I leave camp and hike out for a day.
Just curious how the Nomad 100 worked for you? Good watts/charging?

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I have 130W panel and 200ah battery bank thinking I needed all this... I don't.

I built a spreadsheet so I could see my usage (at max) and determine what I require. Now my setup will go me close to 10days without recharging, yet we don't stay 10 days anywhere when traveling. We found the we only require 3 days at most without recharging, typically we're moving again.

Now I've invested into a lithium battery and will have only 3 days autonomy without recharging and will go with a DC/DC charger to recharge from the truck system. I'm actually debating if I even carry the solar panel again... May go with a smaller one if I decide to.

Do an Audit of your power needs. Then look at what will it take to replace that usage and decide the length of time you can go without. I wish I had when I first started...