Solar Power and Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

What kinds of electricity setups are you guys running while off the grid? I'm looking at it for basic needs, charging devices, running small things, etc... I'm not sure what a whole setup looks like. I'm not trying to run a fridge or microwave or anything silly like that. Thanks for any input, semper Fi.

Jeremy

Reactions: Kelly

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Influencer II

Hi Jeremy and Rebecca,

I saw your intro post. We used to live down the road from you in Locust Grove, by the Wilderness battlefield.

Here are links to a couple previous discussions on solar power that you might find helpful.

Welcome aboard,
Steve

solar power
SOLAR PANELS AND CHARGERS
Renogy 100 watt Solar Suitcase Review
Gear Review on Overland Solar System
Solar Power?
Thanks Steve, I figured there were some threads you guys could point us to. We have a jeep as well, I know a ton about offroading and rock crawling, but the overland game is new to me

Jeremy

Reactions: Steve

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
We have a 100W panel and controller we use on our horse trailer for camping. It supports two big AGM batteries, which supported a 40Q Edgestar cooler set sub 30F (4.5 amps) out at a desert festival for a week. We got the whole package from WindyNation. The controller is straight forward. I will go with them again if I decide to build my overland trailer.

Reactions: Glenn

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I would suggest that you always get a panel bigger than you think you may need. It has been said, on many forums, that all that is needed is an 80 to 100 watt panel to power our fridge, charge up our camera batteries, laptop, phones, and keep our dual battery system topped off. For just a litle more money, I went ahead and bought a 125 watt panel. No regrets.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I would suggest that you always get a panel bigger than you think you may need. It has been said, on many forums, that all that is needed is an 80 to 100 watt panel to power our fridge, charge up our camera batteries, laptop, phones, and keep our dual battery system topped off. For just a litle more money, I went ahead and bought a 125 watt panel. No regrets.
I agree. like most things in life, it never hurts to see how much "the next step up" is. Sometimes it is not much more to get much more...

Ed B

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Riverside, Ca. 92506
Member #

I have the Overland Solar 90 W panels and have been very happy with them. Use them to charge a Die Hard Platinum in an ArkPak battery box and a couple of Odysseys when using my utility trailer. Run an ARB fridge and keep several electronic devices charged when on trips.

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I've been using Goal Zero products for a while now. I first got introduced to them when I was working for Thule and had a full solar array hooked into the truck - mostly to power all of my test equipment. Since then, I've picked up their Yeti 400 and Nomad 100 panel and use those quote a bit on the trail, at camp, etc. I know there have been a lot of innovations and their might even be better options out there, but their gear is easy to use - familiar to me - and I can't beat it. I also have their Venture 30 and Sherpa 50 which are smaller packs I use for smaller items if I leave camp and hike out for a day.

Reactions: Kelly

Influencer II

I've been using Goal Zero products for a while now. I first got introduced to them when I was working for Thule and had a full solar array hooked into the truck - mostly to power all of my test equipment. Since then, I've picked up their Yeti 400 and Nomad 100 panel and use those quote a bit on the trail, at camp, etc. I know there have been a lot of innovations and their might even be better options out there, but their gear is easy to use - familiar to me - and I can't beat it. I also have their Venture 30 and Sherpa 50 which are smaller packs I use for smaller items if I leave camp and hike out for a day.
I saw the goal zero products on the interwebs, was kind of skeptical, but then saw a friend post them up on FB today, and now you're mentioning them. Looks like they are worth checking out, thanks.

Jeremy

Reactions: RaggedViking

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

I saw the goal zero products on the interwebs, was kind of skeptical, but then saw a friend post them up on FB today, and now you're mentioning them. Looks like they are worth checking out, thanks.

Jeremy
I think they are. They put a lot of research into everything they do and they've got a lot of financial backing to explore new and better ways of collecting and storing solar power. A lot of the competition uses panels created by other companies - but GZ uses all of their own stuff. They're also owned by one of the largest commercial and residential solar companies in the country, so that helps. Haha

E

expeditionnorth

if you live in an area where the sun may not always be out I say a 2nd AGM battery and charger in series that can be removed or charged as needed

off the 2nd battery run an inverter in the rig

its less gear to haul in the end

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
I think they are. They put a lot of research into everything they do and they've got a lot of financial backing to explore new and better ways of collecting and storing solar power. A lot of the competition uses panels created by other companies - but GZ uses all of their own stuff. They're also owned by one of the largest commercial and residential solar companies in the country, so that helps. Haha
This does look like a nice set of kits, but they seem to be marketing more as battery chargers/backups versus being a power supply system. Who are they owned by?

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

This does look like a nice set of kits, but they seem to be marketing more as battery chargers/backups versus being a power supply system. Who are they owned by?
They're owned by NRG.

I think battery back ups and supply systems could be synonymous to a certain point.
I don't know at which point the overlap stops and the devide between back up power and power delivery begins, but I do know that even the new power packs coming from GZ only go up to 1500-1800 watts.

Reactions: Captain Josh

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I run the renogy 100 watt suitcase to power my arb off of my truck batteries. It works well but I am now thinking about doing a dedicated battery for just the fridge...

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
They're owned by NRG.

I think battery back ups and supply systems could be synonymous to a certain point.
I don't know at which point the overlap stops and the devide between back up power and power delivery begins, but I do know that even the new power packs coming from GZ only go up to 1500-1800 watts.
You are absolutely right! My thought was along the lines of portable (i.e. handheld) versus something that you have to more tightly integrate with your rig. But as you say, the lines are blurry either way. I have a lot of other mods to do before I get that far, but solar is definitely on the list!

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

You are absolutely right! My thought was along the lines of portable (i.e. handheld) versus something that you have to more tightly integrate with your rig. But as you say, the lines are blurry either way. I have a lot of other mods to do before I get that far, but solar is definitely on the list!
Those are my thoughts too. They could be the same thing - marketed differently.
Who knows? As long as they power the things that need power!!!

Reactions: Captain Josh

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We have a 100W solar panel with a Morningstar controller , 2 AGM group 31 batteries. Also an BlueSeas battery link, this charges the AGMs off the trucks alternator, when you start the truck the link connects the batts, when you turn the truck off it disconnects so you don't have to worry about having a dead start batt. It is also equipped with a 20A Xantrex charger that can be plugged into AC at the campsite or a Yamaha 2KW inverter, everything marine grade with marine wire and lugs. This all goes to a Kisae 2KW pure sine wave inverter that powers everything. I used to do high end marine electronic and electrical installs before I retired so if anyone has any questions give me a shout I will be glad to help.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I have a Goal Zero Yeti 400 which I charge using the onboard 12V when we're driving. It's plenty for what we need, and so far I'm not left wanting. Beyond that, I have a couple of folding solar panels to charge phones, small devices, and battery packs when we're in camp. Generally, power isn't an issue for us when we're out there.

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

I agree with the posts above. I have run a Goal Zero for a while. I just have a small set up that can attach to my backpack while I'm hiking or I can set it out on the hood of the car. It can charge directly to an item or I run it to the back up battery pack. The solar panel also has different plugs so you have a variety of plug in options. nomad20-pdp-1000x667_sm.jpgnomad20-iphone_sm.jpg

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I have a GZ Yeti 400 with 4 boulder 30 watt panels. I’m super happy with the yeti but I’ve never gotten more than 60 watts out of the 4 of them combined. Is this normal?

Reactions: Andy G