Soft top Jeep roof racks... Any favorites?

• HTML tutorial

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
So, I'm in the market for a rack for my JKU... I've been putting off getting one for my jeep... but after ordering an epoxy SUP, I'm going to need to get a rack.

Honestly, I don't like having a lot of weight up top on the Jeep, so I'm not looking forward to most of the racks that'll work with the soft top but it is what it is. I know the Garvin expo racks are favorites, as are the GOBI racks.

Kinda curious what else is out there, or who's had gripes about other, simpler racks.
I'm not planning on tossing a bunch of stuff up there, other than just two cross bars for the board.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Back when I had my JKU I had the Warrior Products Renegade rack which I liked a lot. It is slanted just like the aftermarket soft top that I used.

I liked the fact that it has a real basket and was a no drill installation.But it only covers the space over the seats, and has therefore less space for stuff compared to the two options that you mention.

32295036408_99a4619490_z.jpg

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Look for something that has general use mounting options (for gear) like T-slots or something. I don't want to see you using bungee straps damn it!

• Haha
Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Look for something that has general use mounting options (for gear) like T-slots or something. I don't want to see you using bungee straps damn it!
LOL

This is pretty much just going to be used to haul a SUP or surf boards around. It might become a home for lights/chase bar but I'm not planning on putting anything up there like gear or cargo. Honestly the Rugged Ridge rack is about 99% of what I need.

Reactions: JCWages

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Unfortunately Garvin and Gobi are the only decent options (opinion only because they have the highest weight limits) for a soft top. There is a few by smittybilt and renegade that might work for you since you are not planning on much weight. I personally think they are ugly but that is subjective.

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Unfortunately Garvin and Gobi are the only decent options (opinion only because they have the highest weight limits) for a soft top. There is a few by smittybilt and renegade that might work for you since you are not planning on much weight. I personally think they are ugly but that is subjective.
I agree with you there, fwiw... LOL.
Honestly if I had an easier way to get two rigid cross bars on the soft top, I'd skip a full rack type system if I could.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I agree with you there, fwiw... LOL.
Honestly if I had an easier way to get two rigid cross bars on the soft top, I'd skip a full rack type system if I could.
Just remembered. Look up Kargo Master Jeep Congo cage. The bars below the cage might be perfect for the Kayak. I used the Kayak as a good excuse to get an old army trailer

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Just remembered. Look up Kargo Master Jeep Congo cage. The bars below the cage might be perfect for the Kayak. I used the Kayak as a good excuse to get an old army trailer
Saddly the Congo cage isn't really made anymore, I wish it was though, it has a little smaller profile. Rugged Ridge Jeep Wrangler Sherpa Roof Rack 11703.02 (07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door)

this Rugged Ridge rack will end up doing what I need it to do with out being too huge or in the way... Its kind of a toss up between this one and the Garvin rack without the basket.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Saddly the Congo cage isn't really made anymore, I wish it was though, it has a little smaller profile. Rugged Ridge Jeep Wrangler Sherpa Roof Rack 11703.02 (07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door)

this Rugged Ridge rack will end up doing what I need it to do with out being too huge or in the way... Its kind of a toss up between this one and the Garvin rack without the basket.
I knew they didn't make them for the TJ Unlimited but thought they were still making for the JKU. Maybe Craigslist or FB Marketplace? I would go Garvin Rack because you would have the option to add the Basket later for cargo.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Of the options I ended up looking at, I'm going go with the Garvin rack if I ended up getting one. BIG if on that one, however. Even 70lbs for the rack itself up high on the jeep would be really noticeable.