Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Love riding as a way of exploring, I have done several rides both on and off road. Here is one of my favorite pics KTM 950SE Los Padres Ntl. Forest

KYRenegade858

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Nicholasville, KY
Member #

View attachment 14682 I picked up a Triumph tiger 800 after taking my Harleys on too many roads they had no business being on. I've yet to do a real trip on it, as I've changed states twice in the last year.
What year Tiger is that? I have been looking at a few different ones. Probably will buy used. I have found a 1998 in my backyard and looking at a few newer ones as well. The 98 has the hard bags with it already so thats a plus. Not sure which way I want to go. But I want to eventually run the Trans American Trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Aeroscout

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Planning to weave the Great Lakes this summer. KC to the lakes. Hope to get a ferry ride, new stamp in the passport, stop off in my birthplace, Niagara Falls, and then work the curvy roads home.

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

View attachment 14682 I picked up a Triumph tiger 800 after taking my Harleys on too many roads they had no business being on. I've yet to do a real trip on it, as I've changed states twice in the last year.
I am on the fence of buying hard cases (Tusk) or pelican cases like yours. What do you think of them? I prefer how they look but hesitant about the side opening style.

Clang

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Denver, CO
Member #

I am on the fence of buying hard cases (Tusk) or pelican cases like yours. What do you think of them? I prefer how they look but hesitant about the side opening style.
I have two sets of Pelican cases I made into panniers. I love them - I also have Jessie Panniers, Touratech and Givis on other bikes (they came with the bikes). The advantage to the pelicans is they are nearly indestructible. I have gone down on and off road with them on and they are still airtight. The side opening is a non issue once you get used to it. I have found the 1520 to be the optimal size, for me at least.

1520s on my trusty R100. I have put over 100k miles on this bike.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Palm Bay, FL, USA
Member #

What year Tiger is that? I have been looking at a few different ones. Probably will buy used. I have found a 1998 in my backyard and looking at a few newer ones as well. The 98 has the hard bags with it already so thats a plus. Not sure which way I want to go. But I want to eventually run the Trans American Trail.

That is a 2013. I bought it last year as you see it. While still nice, I wouldn't go back as far as 98. They were redesigned in 2010 when they put out the 800 and 1200. I would stick to those for all the upgrades.

@ravenplague The cases came on the bike when I bought it. They are light, have carry handles and are easy to remove which I like, but I don't like the side opening. Eventually I want to replace them with Triumph top loading expedition cases. I lucked out and my Harley bag liners also fit very well in the Pelican cases, so if I'm going to fill them I can use the liners. You do get used to loading/unloading them.

Reactions: ravenplague

seb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Breukelen, Utrecht, Netherlands
First Name
Seb
Last Name
Bass
Member #

Both me and the girlfriend ride bikes for overlanding! I'm on a KTM 1290 super adventure from 2015 and she's on a 2017 Honda Africa twin CRF1000l DTC.

Did a 7200 km last Novemeber in just over a month. Cannes, South of France to London, the through Wales to Scotland and across to Belfast. From there down to Rosslare and on the ferry back to Cherbourg, France. To then head south for Marbella, Spain to see her parents, then leisurely back up through central Spain. Did a few days offroading near Andorra and then back to Cannes again.

Use the bike as a daily driver around here as well! But can't wait to load her up properly again and go for an extended trip!

Few pics of the holiday:

IMG_0737.JPGIMG_5073.JPGIMG_0702.JPGIMG_0761.JPG

Clang

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Denver, CO
Member #

KLRs are great adventure bikes. I'm not as familiar with the new generation, but I have had several of the previous generation. They are the Jeep Wrangler of the motorcycle world, they go decades with very minor changes from year to year, so the parts are all interchangeable across a decade plus of bikes. Maintenance is easy, parts are cheap and readily available, you can comfortably ride them thousands of miles on the road - I rode one of mine from CO to AK and back - they are respectable off road, and they can carry you and enough gear to have quite the adventure.

Reactions: 1derer and ElDusto

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

just got this dropped off last night...way different than my old shovelhead...i can't wait to get home from work haha

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
You gotta check and see if the do hickey has been replaced, check the valves and replace the exhaust. I am using the Lexx pipe with the .22 cent mod. Huge difference

Reactions: ElDusto

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

You gotta check and see if the do hickey has been replaced, check the valves and replace the exhaust. I am using the Lexx pipe with the .22 cent mod. Huge difference
it's brand new so it is totally stock now..i ordered new drain plug and foot pegs ...next is crash bars then panniers.im gonna do exhaust after warranty is done..gonna hold off on most performance stuff until then actually...what is this infamous doohickey?

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

Got out a bit this weekend. Land between the lakes national rec area, with 200 miles of roads. They allow dispersed camping 3 days for $7. About 730 miles total.View attachment 17714
that's awesome..im planning on heading down that way in a few months.not too awful far from me and looks beautiful

FreelandRyan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Got out a bit this weekend. Land between the lakes national rec area, with 200 miles of roads. They allow dispersed camping 3 days for $7. About 730 miles total.View attachment 17714
Nice, and in STL also?! What year is your Tiger? Looks almost identical to mine (2013 all black). Cant wait for a little warm up.

I mostly hang out in ADV Rider forums when it comes to the bike...

It gets expensive to have two overlanding/adventure build going at the same time, slowly but surely!

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Palm Bay, FL, USA
Member #

Nice, and in STL also?! What year is your Tiger? Looks almost identical to mine (2013 all black). Cant wait for a little warm up.

I mostly hang out in ADV Rider forums when it comes to the bike...

It gets expensive to have two overlanding/adventure build going at the same time, slowly but surely!
Mine is also a 13. I have heated liners from cycle gear, so I ride down to 30ºF. I might be able to get away with a little more on the Tiger as it has heated grips as well.

AdvOverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Clarksville, TN
Member #

I ride a lot. If it's nice weather lol

I've done several 2k plus trips on the Ultra. Last weekend tried an Iron Butt ride to Panama City Beach. Got slammed with weather on the way back between Montgomery and Birmingham. Had to get a room. Still a good ride.

I've got an itch that can only be scratched by and adventure bike. Probably a Vstrom.

Two wheels are great fun.

Reactions: ElDusto and 1derer

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I've got an itch that can only be scratched by and adventure bike. Probably a Vstrom.
Two wheels are great fun.

Vstrom is a great bike most would consider it a 80% street its nice that it gives you the option for 1000cc if you want more street and there is little different between 650 and 1000 otherwise. Depending on price range and desires of dirt you might want to take a look at other bikes more dirt suitable if you have desires for dirt exploring other then grated roads. I am not saying its not capable of more but the experience might be better on a bike a little more biased towards dirt. Some great deals on KLRs and Tenere out there depending on size of adv bike you are looking for. Just my $0.02

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay

I see the OP already mentioned that the tiger's underwent a massive redesign in around 2010/11. It's worth reiterating that the modern t800 is very different than a 98 one, and better in virtually every way from an Overlanding perspective -- easier to fix, more reliable, way more availability in terms of parts and darkness, etc.

I myself am on a Tiger 800 xc. Been up to Deadhorse and just finished a 6 day, 5000km trip through Alberta, southern BC, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and a bit of montana.

2 wheels is a great way to travel!

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk