US West Snowy trails for lightly modified GX's within 3-4 hours of the bay area SFO

• HTML tutorial

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

With the storms rolling in, we are thinking of doing a day trip from the Bay area. The rigs are mildly lifted (mostly GX) and couple of us have Winches too. Looking for some forest trails reachable within 3-4 hours from Bay area where we can off road in not so deep snow.

We earlier thought Nevada, but any good snowy trail head is going to be atleast 6 hours away in Nevada. So looking at places near Bald mountain, Shavers lake, Bear valley, Carson pass national forest area etc.,

Advice on potential trails and details would be really great!

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I haven't been personally but I hear Mormon Emigrant Trail would fit the bill for what you're looking for. In the summertime, I think it is mostly paved but it isn't maintained in the winter so it gets snowed over.

Bring food, water, and blankets to keep warm in case you get stuck out there.

Reactions: slomatt

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Mormon Emigrant Trail is the go-to for a lot of Bay Area sno' runs. It's about 3.5 hrs from me on the Peninsula. It gets crowded and you have to stay on MET and not take side trails, it does get patrolled.

Bowman Lake road near Tahoe is also legal.

Also check out the road to Uncle Tom's Cabin, a funky little bar out in the middle of the Forest near Georgetown. It's off Wentworth springs road.

MET

Reactions: overl4nd

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

Mormon Emigrant Trail is the go-to for a lot of Bay Area sno' runs. It's about 3.5 hrs from me on the Peninsula. It gets crowded and you have to stay on MET and not take side trails, it does get patrolled.

Bowman Lake road near Tahoe is also legal.

Also check out the road to Uncle Tom's Cabin, a funky little bar out in the middle of the Forest near Georgetown. It's off Wentworth springs road.

MET
Thanks
Earlier I saw that MET had chained barriee from sno park side on 50. What is the best entry point

Reactions: sakiwest

VonTrapp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Von Trapp
Member #

Sure. Join GXOR page. We announce all GX events there.
Planning another one in 3 weeks or so

BTW everyone, MET was a hoot. Lots of lifted trucks around, and everyone getting stuck.
I'm in a Grand Cherokee... but I'll take a gander at the GX page. ;-)

You got me curious about the MET... looks fun!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Like mentioned above the MET and the road to Uncle Toms is in its prime right now, our club has had several members up there and the report is awesome.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Don't come to Yosemite. They have closed a lot gates and campgrounds getting ready for this storm and they closed my spot. I'm here now at the south gate its open but getting ready for chain requirements so now I'm looking for a wide spot waiting for the storm. The hwy 140 from Merced is open right now but might close it tonight for possible landslides.