Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

So Helen and I were visiting family back in California for the Holidays when a large snowstorm crept upon us. This is a rare event for the high deserts of California as they almost never see snow and never this much. Of course, we just had to go play in it, so we did and ended up spending the rest of the day rescuing people. I hope you enjoy the video!

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Agreed! The guy was thinking he could get around traffic and follow us. To be fair, the gentlemen came up and asked us if we would help him through the ditch because he knew he was going to get stuck. But yes, vehicles like that have no business being on trails like that in those conditions.

Reactions: M Rose

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

It’s probably safe for a light tug but when hooking two straps together if at all possible don’t use a clevis to hook them together if a strap breaks it can become a heavy projectile .
Every year when it snows it always amazes me how many people head out into the snow in vehicles that have no business driving around .

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It’s probably safe for a light tug but when hooking two straps together if at all possible don’t use a clevis to hook them together if a strap breaks it can become a heavy projectile .
Every year when it snows it always amazes me how many people head out into the snow in vehicles that have no business driving around .
That was me yesterday. I really didn’t want to travel during the small snow storm in the Wife’s Focus, but I couldn’t get the Bronco to start. I did however have chains, a blanket, and a cell phone to call my brother had I slid off the road.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I totally agree. The load on the straps was very light. It was the only way I could get something underneath those new cars haha. Yea it is very amazing, also people were going around 395 on a side road because their GPS told them that road was open lol.

Reactions: Smileyshaun

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

That was me yesterday. I really didn’t want to travel during the small snow storm in the Wife’s Focus, but I couldn’t get the Bronco to start. I did however have chains, a blanket, and a cell phone to call my brother had I slid off the road.
I think the point here is that you where prepared. These people were not prepared at all. It felt like none of them had never seen snow let alone driven in it.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I totally agree. The load on the straps was very light. It was the only way I could get something underneath those new cars haha. Yea it is very amazing, also people were going around 395 on a side road because their GPS told them that road was open lol.
Oh ya I’ve helped quite a few people in the snow because “the gps said to go this way “

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I think the point here is that you where prepared. These people were not prepared at all. It felt like none of them had never seen snow let alone driven in it.
I I got the message loud and clear... I wasn’t going through 8” of snow either... try feet of snow, then the drifting on top of that... I had no business being out there at all... had it not been an emergency I would have stayed in.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Also see a lot of stuck Subaru’s because well “ it has AWD” but I somehow still slid off the road
I drove past a pretty harsh accident (wreckers and EMS where already on scene) that involved a 4x4 truck and a Subaru, It was on a corner of a major highway. Some people think AWD means they don't need to slow down.

Reactions: Shamu and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So Helen and I were visiting family back in California for the Holidays when a large snowstorm crept upon us. This is a rare event for the high deserts of California as they almost never see snow and never this much. Of course, we just had to go play in it, so we did and ended up spending the rest of the day rescuing people. I hope you enjoy the video!
Hey Mark. I just wanted to let you know that I am very impressed with your decision to help stranded motorists instead of playing. I was really hoping to see you plowing through some drifts in your Jeep, but was pleasantly surprised to see you spending the day getting soaked, chilled, and uncomfortable to help those in need. This is exactly what OB is about. Helping others for no other gain than to know we helped someone less fortunate than our self’s.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Hey Mark. I just wanted to let you know that I am very impressed with your decision to help stranded motorists instead of playing. I was really hoping to see you plowing through some drifts in your Jeep, but was pleasantly surprised to see you spending the day getting soaked, chilled, and uncomfortable to help those in need. This is exactly what OB is about. Helping others for no other gain than to know we helped someone less fortunate than our self’s.
Thank you! I'll be honest, I really wanted to go explore and play in the snow. That area hasn't had snow in about 10 years, So it was a rare event and very exciting. However, when I saw people and families in need I could not just leave them there. I agree this is what makes Overland Bound special and ahead of many of the other groups I know. Its why I joined early, I knew what this group stood for was something I could get behind.

Reactions: M Rose and Shamu