Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

This weekend will be our first trip to the snow overnight. I have a question, Is it better to set up camp in the open, or under a cover?

Reactions: Cendee

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

This weekend will be our first trip to the snow overnight. I have a question, Is it better to set up camp in the open, or under a cover?
I try to camp close to a large hill or rocks to help with wind. I have done it both ways though. Most important thing is warm clothes and bedding and you will be fine.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I try to camp close to a large hill or rocks to help with wind. I have done it both ways though. Most important thing is warm clothes and bedding and you will be fine.
Thanks. it will be an adventure for sure. Snow, chance of rain, 3 boys, and a Mr. Buddy Heater.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Well, our trip was amazing. We experienced everything, snow, sleet, rain, and temps down to 27°. The key to a fun trip in the snow, is a good fire, lots of good food, and of course our new friend Mr. Heater Buddy. We slept really well. The boys had a great
trip.
20190323_120516.jpg
20190323_150121.jpg20190323_193115.jpg
20190324_075342.jpg
20190323_183714.jpg
20190324_112418.jpg

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Well, our trip was amazing. We experienced everything, snow, sleet, rain, and temps down to 27°. The key to a fun trip in the snow, is a good fire, lots of good food, and of course our new friend Mr. Heater Buddy. We slept really well. The boys had a great
trip.
View attachment 90807
View attachment 90808View attachment 90809
View attachment 90810
View attachment 90811
View attachment 90812
Oh that is great to here. Many more adventures to come it sounds like!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Love winter and snow camping as long as I can stay warm
This is the question. Small tent camping makes it a challenge. Larger tents are much easier to use, due to standing room, and shoes having a place to park out of the snow. A trailer makes life easy, but limits access to areas off the beaten track.

Also as you get older it gets harder n harder to unzip the sleeping bag on a cold morning, not to mention getting your 1/2 frozen boots on. On mornings like that, COFFEE....HOT, is the first and only goal[emoji2]

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

You haven’t lived tell you dig a snow cave and sleep in it! Really can be quiet and comfortable with the right gear! Years ago while climbing Mt. Rainier, in Washington State, The Paradise hut was really crowded with climbers, and someone was snoring really loudly.I had heard that there was a snow cave already dug, So in the dark with my headlamp and a flashlight, I started looking around out side the hut and found entrance to the cave. Crawled in settled in for the night and went to sleep. The next morning woke up and started checking out the cave. There were like 14 different rooms in the cave, and I had it all to myself! Made it to the top of Mt. Rainier, but that is another story for a different time! Vance.

Last edited:

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Winter camping is my favorite. I have been doing it since my backpacking days, and I still enjoy it now as an overlander. These pics it was 17 degrees that night.
I really love the quiet of a snowy night.

Attachments

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I would love to go snow camping more often. I just need a better tent or I can just sleep in my 4Runner.
1” of snow at Alabama Hills Dec 2019.F4226AF1-E216-4C17-9B9D-DC52294266E1.jpeg0AF3FB40-C251-4F40-8AE3-D9ED2EC313C2.jpeg