Snow camping

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Caddis

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

This weekend will be our first trip to the snow overnight. I have a question, Is it better to set up camp in the open, or under a cover?

Reactions: Cendee

Cendee

US Rocky Mountain Region Director
Benefactor
Supporter

Influencer II

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

This weekend will be our first trip to the snow overnight. I have a question, Is it better to set up camp in the open, or under a cover?
I try to camp close to a large hill or rocks to help with wind. I have done it both ways though. Most important thing is warm clothes and bedding and you will be fine.

Caddis

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I try to camp close to a large hill or rocks to help with wind. I have done it both ways though. Most important thing is warm clothes and bedding and you will be fine.
Thanks. it will be an adventure for sure. Snow, chance of rain, 3 boys, and a Mr. Buddy Heater.

Cendee

Benefactor
Supporter

Influencer II

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Well, our trip was amazing. We experienced everything, snow, sleet, rain, and temps down to 27°. The key to a fun trip in the snow, is a good fire, lots of good food, and of course our new friend Mr. Heater Buddy. We slept really well. The boys had a great
trip.
View attachment 90807
View attachment 90808View attachment 90809
View attachment 90810
View attachment 90811
View attachment 90812
Oh that is great to here. Many more adventures to come it sounds like!

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

Cendee

Benefactor
Supporter

Influencer II

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

I went out a couple hours north a couple weeks ago ,there was so much snow it was hard to find a spot of the road. Good fun.
Nice set up you have there. I'm over the snow here in Utah. Hell I was over it before it started.

Reactions: Canadian Joe

Desert Runner

Rank V

Traveler III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Love winter and snow camping as long as I can stay warm
This is the question. Small tent camping makes it a challenge. Larger tents are much easier to use, due to standing room, and shoes having a place to park out of the snow. A trailer makes life easy, but limits access to areas off the beaten track.

Also as you get older it gets harder n harder to unzip the sleeping bag on a cold morning, not to mention getting your 1/2 frozen boots on. On mornings like that, COFFEE....HOT, is the first and only goal