Snorkels - More Popular in Australia?

• HTML tutorial

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

This is based on anecdotal evidence, but it seems like snorkels are more "standard" on off-road vehicles in Australia vs. the United States. If this is true, just wondering why. Is it marketing? Just a bit dustier in general? Are they onto something that we ('Merkuns) haven't realized yet?

I'm looking towards my next mod, and a snorkel seems like a good idea (cleaner filters, cooler air, no water in intake), but I'd like to hear why it appears that Australians place more emphasis on them. Or perhaps I'm wrong.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Well this is my uneducated guess. I believe they do travel a bit more open land then we do. I remeber seeing something posted with a sign no services for hundreds Oh miles or something. And with that more water crossings. More of a need there then here .

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Thanks guys, I'm not the only one!

If I'm going to drill into my fender, I'm thinking I should spring for the real deal (ARB or TJM), but I've heard that the knock-offs are a very good bang for your buck. Any words of wisdom?

Reactions: Luis Merlo

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Funny, here in suburban DC, we see a lot of snorkeled mall crawlers, to the point that I decided against putting one on my RRC. If I were out west, or did more trips out west, I might reconsider...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
This is based on anecdotal evidence, but it seems like snorkels are more "standard" on off-road vehicles in Australia vs. the United States. If this is true, just wondering why. Is it marketing? Just a bit dustier in general? Are they onto something that we ('Merkuns) haven't realized yet?

I'm looking towards my next mod, and a snorkel seems like a good idea (cleaner filters, cooler air, no water in intake), but I'd like to hear why it appears that Australians place more emphasis on them. Or perhaps I'm wrong.
After traveling in Australia, I can confirm they are more popular there. The even come stock on many vehicles!

M

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk Beta

Reactions: picklejuice

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
I think a lot of people over here have them just because they can, a large majority of them would be just for show (factory fitted unseald bling)... but they do have benefits better airflow is certainly one. Taking the air intake out from under the inner guard where it’s prone to dust intake, or out from the warm airflow of the under-bonnet can help fuel economy and power and having the ability to go through deeper water is another big plus

Offroad Touring

Rank III

Advocate II

I recently had a Canadian fella working at my work and the first think he mentioned about my Nissan was the snorkel. We were working outside my he couldn't believe how many were driving passed on everything from work utilities to full offroad vehicles. As I'm typing this I can see 7 4wd vehicles and 6 have a snorkel fitted.

Having a good seal is paramount, no point having one if water can still get in your airbox. Where we travel in the Outback it's nit uncommon to have to ford deep water but more so in tne High Country. Raising the intake provides good peice of mind.

Safari snorkels are a popular Australian made product. There are others on the market including stainless snorkels.

The cheaper brands I have seen don't line up or seal properly.

Cheers

Sent from my D5833 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

All of the diesel engines in Australia help the snorkel cause too. They fair better with deep water crossings compared to their gas powered counterparts. Just because you've raised the air intake doesn't mean the rest of the engine is ready for deeper water... Do you have a cut off switch for your fans, or removed the belt? Use dielectric grease on you electrical connections and around the spark plugs if you want the most prevention. If you have a distributor cap, try to keep it dry and have some WD-40 to dry it out if it gets wet. Learn how to properly drive your vehicle through a water crossing.

Less dust and cooler air, as mentioned earlier, will be the most common benefits here in the States. But you still need it sealed water tight to get the most out of it.

I like the snorkel design that allows the pipe to run inside the fender. It's a cleaner looking install and doesn't change your side to side clearance.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Thanks guys, I'm not the only one!

If I'm going to drill into my fender, I'm thinking I should spring for the real deal (ARB or TJM), but I've heard that the knock-offs are a very good bang for your buck. Any words of wisdom?
Build your own...bang for your buck and more durable! If you want ideas you can look on you tube or see my post in "General Discussions" Snorkel Kit for under $100.00. Plus the added prestige of being the "DIY Guy!!", lol.....

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Build your own...bang for your buck and more durable! If you want ideas you can look on you tube or see my post in "General Discussions" Snorkel Kit for under $100.00. Plus the added prestige of being the "DIY Guy!!", lol.....
Yes, that is an option, but I'm not sure that I trust my engineering capabilities, and I'll have no one to yell at but myself if I screw something up. Because I'm so paranoid about ripping into my fender, I'm likely going to have a 4x4 shop with experience do it, especially because of the importance of a good seal.