Smitybilt 2781 hardwired

• HTML tutorial
D

danbrown

Today’s project was to mount my Smitybilt compressor and hardwire it into my switch bank.

I took advantage of one of my Decked “ammo cans”, which fit in the compressor nicely. Only thing I had to do was remove the base. Since the base has rubber grommets and feet to absorb shock, I added an inch of dense rubber to the bottom of the can to reduce vibration. (I also changed the fittings to NPT and extended the output so it comes output is accessible outside of the can)

Electrically I added a 60 amp relay and 45 amp circuit breaker to the hot side feeding the compressor. The switch bank enables the relay.

The compressor runs hot so I added a pressure switch so that it doesn’t run constantly and I can pop the top off of the ammo can to provide cooling. Works like a champ!

Attachments

Nateheart

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Heartman
Today’s project was to mount my Smitybilt compressor and hardwire it into my switch bank.

I took advantage of one of my Decked “ammo cans”, which fit in the compressor nicely. Only thing I had to do was remove the base. Since the base has rubber grommets and feet to absorb shock, I added an inch of dense rubber to the bottom of the can to reduce vibration. (I also changed the fittings to NPT and extended the output so it comes output is accessible outside of the can)

Electrically I added a 60 amp relay and 45 amp circuit breaker to the hot side feeding the compressor. The switch bank enables the relay.

The compressor runs hot so I added a pressure switch so that it doesn’t run constantly and I can pop the top off of the ammo can to provide cooling. Works like a champ!
Stoked to see this. I have same compressor and storage. Going to have to set something like this up. Do you have a link to your relay and circuit breaker?

Reactions: danbrown
D

danbrown

Stoked to see this. I have same compressor and storage. Going to have to set something like this up. Do you have a link to your relay and circuit breaker?
This is the relay I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B081LS2YJZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

And the CB https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0899ZYWRM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Nateheart

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Your circuit breakers are good ones. When your relay quits working go to a larger housing. I use those relays for most of my projects and the issue isn't the rating, its the bar the contact is mounted to. My compressor gets used 1-2 times a month and I get about a year "ish" on a relay. I made a relay board with five relays, my compressor is one of the middle. I just replace it because I don't want one that looks diffrent (yea i know). If/when it stops, do it then.