Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
I just picked up the Scout Trailer. Wow, this thing is over built. Tracks great. Backing up is a breeze. PIC_1091.JPG PIC_1092.JPG

Reactions: VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Is registration required where you are?

I'm interested to see how you build it out, your choice of RTT, what goes where, etc.

I came close to pulling the trigger on that but it didn't do everything I wanted it to do, mainly carry my moto.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
I have a Godrigear tent and a fox wing. Planning on 200 watts solar, 20 gal of water for shower etc. It came with a sink. I have a 2000 kw gen set. Designing clip on tables for food prep and for HF Ham operations. It needs interior lighting. LEDs under awning for night time. Just a few things planned so far. I think you can build on this for years. Contemplating putting cargo boxes on the sides for kitchens stuff and other gear. On demand hot shower..etc The rig will also have an Eagle One Multi-band HF vertical antenna mounting system. More to come.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
Special Note: I can only raise the tent rack about 3". With the roof top tent on top, I will not have the clearance to get it in the garage. I don't know at what height the awning racks will be. More to come.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
sorry, i see you already answered my question about reg, didn't realize it was you that I had asked.

I'm registering a custom-built trailer here in CA and it's a bit of a hassle, brakes required, Highway Patrol inspection, etc.

Looks like you've got some good plans for yours, I considered the SCOUT pretty seriously for a long time, ultimately I really wanted to carry my motorcycle so I had to go custom.

Looking forward to seeing your build-out, customization is the fun part.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
Put the roof tent and Fox Wing on today. The trailer dolly is a must. We are doing the ARRL Field Day next weekend. Operating 24 hrs on 20m and 40m. N2BBT 73. Lighting, camp kitchen, and Gen set next. Eagle one HF antenna will be mounted on the tongue of the trailer. More to come.

Attachments

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
Btw, trailer is registered as home made. Had to go to a Florida certified weigh station to get it weighed. Gave the slip to the DMV and $24. Done, we be legal....

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

I have one of these as well. Its not "done" yet, almost done with all the wiring for all the interior lights. My RTT (CVT Mt Rainer Summit Series) is still sitting off to the side waiting to go up. I did add side boxes and plan to reinforce the interior of them with some sq tube. They are made from aluminum and flex a bit as it is. I went with same rims and tires as the tow vehicle (285/75-17 KM2's). When I got my "kit" it was missing the instructions and the new wiring harnesses... yes even though it was all wired up I was required to rewire it. When I contacted Smittybilt about wiring up the brake away controller I was informed that I was missing the box which contained the new harness. But they overnighted it to me, along with a hard copy of the instructions. With that being said I chucked their replacement harness and built my own, thicker wire, better 7 pin, and I knew every inch of it. Added an Odyssey group 31 battery with a 10 amp Noco marine charger for it. It will eventually get 160 watts or more of solar setup. But for now the ARB fridge sits in the truck with its dedicated charging source (85 watt solar panel with another group 31 battery) for it. I also have a 21 gallon water tank, 12v pump, 2 stage water filtration system and "most" of the connecting hardware. Just need to get around it building the mounting platform for it. I'll say one thing, this thing is tongue heavy!! I have OME Dakars with the extra leaf pack and I am thinking I might want a new leaf pack. OME is now selling a HD version for people who typically carry 660 lbs extra in their vehicles... that kinda describes mine. I've been looking under this thing trying to figure out how I can tie in a subframe that would support a rear bumper with swingout tire carrier. Get some weight off the tongue and counter balance it a little. Anyhow, some pics.. this was before I got tags on it and was just trying to make sure it towed properly.

Anyhow, some crappy pics. Need to get some of it in its natural environment (no no not my garage.. :) ) With family plans and work its looking like "maybe" at the end of July I may get it out for a shakedown run. But being central Texas, end of July is really no fun to camp in.

IMG_8739.JPG

IMG_8747.JPG

Last edited:

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

Oh one thing I wanted to mention. I wanted it to have the matching lug pattern as the TV. So 6x5.5. Now I took the drum off and went to my local trailer supply house and showed them the drum, asking for a similar 10" drum with the 6x5.5 lug pattern. Well they had one, however the outer bearing was much smaller. Much smaller. I assume this is because they are selling a 6x5.5 drum designed for something much larger, say a car hauler or horse trailer. The Scout is not meant to be that, it doesn't need the larger outer bearing. Anyhow, they could not get me a drum with that smaller outer bearing size. My only option would have been to cut the spindle off that suspension adapter plate, get a larger spindle that matches the hub and weld it on... then add the drum. We'll see, maybe I can locate them at some point. But for now its wheel adapters (red loc-tited on... not a huge fan of them) but they seem to give it a nice stance and its about the same track width at the truck.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
First kinda deployment. Set up the rig for ARRL Fieid Day 2017. Wanted to work out the kinks. The major issue was the relationship of the fox wing to the RTT . The RTT must be higher than the awning so you can deploy the windows. This is a major design flaw! When you raise the mount for the RTT, the mount for the awning will always be higher. Some fabrication will be in order and feed back given to Smithbilt soon. More to come. PIC_1146.JPG PIC_1109.JPG PIC_1104.JPG

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
Update. I called Smitybilt and discovered that the trailer is designed for Smitybilt RTT and Awnings. I asked about getting square tube for fabrication for my Foxwing, and the gentleman told me that they design the prototype and send it overseas to be manufactured. I still love the trailer but be prepared to do some fabrication if you don't use Smitybilt products.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
I have one of these as well. Its not "done" yet, almost done with all the wiring for all the interior lights. My RTT (CVT Mt Rainer Summit Series) is still sitting off to the side waiting to go up. I did add side boxes and plan to reinforce the interior of them with some sq tube. They are made from aluminum and flex a bit as it is. I went with same rims and tires as the tow vehicle (285/75-15 KM2's). When I got my "kit" it was missing the instructions and the new wiring harnesses... yes even though it was all wired up I was required to rewire it. When I contacted Smittybilt about wiring up the brake away controller I was informed that I was missing the box which contained the new harness. But they overnighted it to me, along with a hard copy of the instructions. With that being said I chucked their replacement harness and built my own, thicker wire, better 7 pin, and I new every inch of it. Added an Odyssey group 31 battery with a 10 Noco marine charger for it. It will eventually get 160 watts or more of solar setup. But for now the ARB sits in the TV with its dedicated charging source for it. I also have a 21 gallon water tank, 12v pump, 2 stage water filtration system and "most" of the connecting hardware. Just need to get around it building the mounting platform for it. I'll say one thing, this thing is tongue heavy!! I have OME Dakars with the extra leaf pack and I am thinking I might want a new leaf pack. OME is now selling a HD version for people who typically carry 660 lbs extra in their vehicles... that kinda describes mine. I've been looking under this thing trying to figure out how I can tie in a subframe that would support a rear bumper with swingout tire carrier. Get some weight off the tongue and counter balance it a little. Anyhow, some pics.. this was before I got tags on it and was just trying to make sure it towed properly.

Anyhow, some crappy pics. Need to get some of it in its natural environment (no no not my garage.. :) ) With family plans and work its looking like "maybe" at the end of July I may get it out for a shakedown run. But being central Texas, end of July is really no fun to camp in.

View attachment 27346

View attachment 27347
SB07, tell me more about your water tank...ie brand, where to buy etc. bubba@bubbatim.com Thx, bro

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

I picked it up off Ebay, came with a pretty nice pump.. probably more than I need. tank and pump I also picked up a filler system (I'll fill though the side though one of the side boxes) and a 2 stage filter system (way bigger in dimensions than I planned but it will fit). Also added a secondary sand filter prior to the pump and now I just need to figure out where I will exit this water. I will have a drain system for the times I need to drain and clean it, but I am not sure where I will exit the water for other reasons (showers, wash dishes, drinking water, etc). I'm out for the next 10 days or so, that will give me time to contemplate, but when I get back I'll work on the frame to hold this in place and get it done. I know it will sit above the slideouts inside the main compartment allowing them to work as normal.. albeit with a little (10" or so) less cargo. I'll add some protection up front to prevent me from being dumb and putting something "pokey" on the slide and puncturing the tank. But its a work in progress.

theheineken

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sheridan, Wyo.
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Hein
Member #

First kinda deployment. Set up the rig for ARRL Fieid Day 2017. Wanted to work out the kinks. The major issue was the relationship of the fox wing to the RTT . The RTT must be higher than the awning so you can deploy the windows. This is a major design flaw! When you raise the mount for the RTT, the mount for the awning will always be higher. Some fabrication will be in order and feed back given to Smithbilt soon. More to come. View attachment 27360
This is an issue I'm trying to sort out with my RTT/rack system. I don't want the RTT to be sky-high while driving down the road, but I need the awning to be tall enough when parked to walk under (I'm 6' 4"). So basically an impossible task, since if I lifted the awning once parked it would also interfere with the tent windows.

I wouldn't blame Smittybilt too much for the interference, especially when using components other than ones they designed it for.

Enthusiast III

Costa Mesa
First Name
Stan
Last Name
Wingert
Hi I was lucky to get the first trailer out of Smittybilt
The mounts that came with my shade are different then the pictures you have I will post some pictures maybe it will help you
I would love to see the water tank and other add on everyone is doing

Attachments

Last edited:

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

Hi I was lucky to get the first trailer out of Smittybilt
The mounts that came with my shade are different then the pictures you have I will post some pictures maybe it will help you
I would love to see the water tank and other add on everyone is doing
I've had my trailer since first week in May and my awning mounts are identical. I just don't have an awning yet. I actually just got my RTT mounted today. (CVT Mt Rainier Summit Series). The plan is to do a Summit series awning in the same gray color.

Last edited:

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
I have one of these as well. Its not "done" yet, almost done with all the wiring for all the interior lights. My RTT (CVT Mt Rainer Summit Series) is still sitting off to the side waiting to go up. I did add side boxes and plan to reinforce the interior of them with some sq tube. They are made from aluminum and flex a bit as it is. I went with same rims and tires as the tow vehicle (285/75-17 KM2's). When I got my "kit" it was missing the instructions and the new wiring harnesses... yes even though it was all wired up I was required to rewire it. When I contacted Smittybilt about wiring up the brake away controller I was informed that I was missing the box which contained the new harness. But they overnighted it to me, along with a hard copy of the instructions. With that being said I chucked their replacement harness and built my own, thicker wire, better 7 pin, and I knew every inch of it. Added an Odyssey group 31 battery with a 10 amp Noco marine charger for it. It will eventually get 160 watts or more of solar setup. But for now the ARB fridge sits in the truck with its dedicated charging source (85 watt solar panel with another group 31 battery) for it. I also have a 21 gallon water tank, 12v pump, 2 stage water filtration system and "most" of the connecting hardware. Just need to get around it building the mounting platform for it. I'll say one thing, this thing is tongue heavy!! I have OME Dakars with the extra leaf pack and I am thinking I might want a new leaf pack. OME is now selling a HD version for people who typically carry 660 lbs extra in their vehicles... that kinda describes mine. I've been looking under this thing trying to figure out how I can tie in a subframe that would support a rear bumper with swingout tire carrier. Get some weight off the tongue and counter balance it a little. Anyhow, some pics.. this was before I got tags on it and was just trying to make sure it towed properly.

View attachment 27346

View attachment 27347
Tell me more about your two side boxes above the fenders PLEASE!