Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Update: I just got off the phone with Chas in customer service at Smittybilt. Not only have redesigned the tongue, but also have changed manufactures. SO... they now expect deliver in CA in February. Anyone who had placed an order will get a unit, and it sounded like they were not taking any more orders at this time. He said to call back in January to see if they had better info. That puts a crimp in any shop time over the winter for the upgrades I have planned.

Reactions: Kent R

kootsfrontier

Rank 0

Traveler I

When these trailers came out, we looked at them. We ended up going with a GoFSR overlander. We love it. Our decision was based on the fact that other then the air compressor any smitty product we bought failed quickly, and the doors all seemed to open the wrong way for us. The only issue we have had with our GoFSR was the locks did not come lubed enough, a quick shot of graphite and they have been no problem

Brian B1973

Rank 0

Traveler I

Dallas, TX
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Batie
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/smittybilt-scout-trailer-reviews.174189/

In the last few pages of this thread there's some good info on the failures that started happening with the trailers. It seems it was a combination of a not awesome design, with some welds that were ground completely flush, and also didn't have complete penetration. Seemed to me from my research that the issues were pretty limited to a single run of trailers, and smittybilt made some future design changes, as well as making it right for owners that had concerns or failures. Seemed that smittybilt fixed everything quickly.

I've done a lot of reading on trailers this year, and my wife and I are pretty set on getting a smittybilt scout. @Kent my plan was the same as yours. Just beef up the points that need it. The fact that the entire trailer design is changing is making me doubt my plan though. No big deal, we're not getting a trailer for at least another year or so.
I like my trailer a lot. The only downside I see is the tongue weight....I make sure to take that into mind when I loadout.

20181216_095432.jpeg20181216_095503.jpeg20181216_095445.jpeg

Brian B1973

Rank 0

Traveler I

Dallas, TX
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Batie
I think a tiremount can be fabed to fit the trailer hitch in back....I have no issues with the tongue other than wanting the 360 ° hitch

resqr1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Omaha
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Ramaeker
Member #

There is a manufacturer that makes swing out tire carriers for hitch mounts, from this company https://www.wilcooffroad.com/, not sure about the quality as I have not seen any, but it looks cool.
Yep. If you like the $900 price tag that comes with it. They have an ad out there that shows the hitch with the swingout carrier. Even has a link for instructions for the carrier. $249. But when you order that they tell you it is only the accessory mount for that hitch...even though it specifically shows the entire assembly and instructions. I was going to get one for my Suburban until they told me the hitch itself is $900. No thanks. I can get an entire bumper with a swingout for that.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

Yep. If you like the $900 price tag that comes with it. They have an ad out there that shows the hitch with the swingout carrier. Even has a link for instructions for the carrier. $249. But when you order that they tell you it is only the accessory mount for that hitch...even though it specifically shows the entire assembly and instructions. I was going to get one for my Suburban until they told me the hitch itself is $900. No thanks. I can get an entire bumper with a swingout for that.
Wow, I didn't realize they were that much

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Smittybilt Scout Trailer:
I just got off the phone with Smittybilt and they are now saying that it will be @ 45 days from now for them to hit CA.

Paul Robertson

Rank III

Contributor III

3654 47th Avenue SW, Seattle, Washington, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

I have the Scout trailer and really like it aside for the frame issue. On one hand it is a great value and i give it a pass on many things because of the cost. One thing I do expect is for the frame to be solid, given its intended use. The response from SB has been split, in some cases good and in some cases poor. Good in that they appear to be standing behind their product, poor in that we are almost 6 months after the first public post and no fix is available that I am aware of. I also feel that knowing that they had structural issues they should have notified owners promptly, which they did not.

If they get this issue behind them I would whole heatedly endorse the trailer, I realize mistakes happen and product development is hard (ask me about my day job). 20180901_111202.jpg

Reactions: Foretexas

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

I am also hoping that the new manufacturer has done a good job. To wait as long as I have and be part of a new roll out is concerning. I am fortunate as we have a good shop with all the tools to make some changes that I have been planning, but hope not to keep it together. I did not know they were not made in US, that is not necessary bad, but there are so many small fab shops, I imagine they could have found one and been home grown.

I plan to add the SB SRC tire carrier YK TJ. Put on a few receiver tubes under to mount to. Maybe add a trash pack to the rear mounted tire. Looking to add an awing and some drop down work areas over the fenders. The Habitat company has made some smart upgrades to look at on Youtube. Glad to hear that overall you are pleased with the Scout. Let me know if you have made an changes or have found things that could be improved.

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

The biggest issue I had with this trailer is the "ability to adjust the tent height". which you cant. its to heavy and awkward. I made a solution and it works great. lets me park it in the garage, and gives me 8" when we go out.

Attachments

Brian B1973

Rank 0

Traveler I

Dallas, TX
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Batie
The biggest issue I had with this trailer is the "ability to adjust the tent height". which you cant. its to heavy and awkward. I made a solution and it works great. lets me park it in the garage, and gives me 8" when we go out.
Thats actually a great idea....How hard is that to compress down?

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

Thats actually a great idea....How hard is that to compress down?
So I did the math from all the tent and bars and found that having 50 lbs a shock was good. Oddly enough its harder to pull it down then lift it up. (meaning physics was wrong for some reason because even 20 lbs less than the total weight, it still holds the tent and wants to extend out) I believe the bar that slides into the side is crooked, so both sides do not fit straight down. You have to wiggle it up and down a little, if that makes sense. BUT i made my wife little handles that she can screw in to one side and all you do is pull the pins out (which i bought with eye hooks for easy removal) and just lift up and boom. almost no effort, just a little jimmy back and forth.

the trick is getting the screws inside the channel strut because i have an awning also, so thats three pieces of metal you have get a nut inside of. unless you get bolts for shocks that are 3" long. pm me i can explain that more if you are interested.

so many different pressures for the shocks and so many options you need to do a little math as far as the lift open and closed clearly. hopefully that helps.

Reactions: Foretexas

Roam Wild Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor I

Halifax, NS
Member #

I was speaking with someone yesterday who is in the process of ordering one of the re-designed scout trailers. They were told there are no changes to the functionality of the trailer. I'm wondering if it's just the frame issue addressed. Will be interesting to see what exactly has changed if anything when the re-design makes an appearance.

Reactions: McGrizzly

bshinn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

China Grove, NC, USA
Member #

The tongue weight issue seems to be a design flaw in the trailer, it's begging to be overloaded from the get go! There is a ton of area on the drawbar and they drop a 100ish lb spare and a huge box up there that people naturally cram full of heavy electrical gear. And this is before most people seem to decide to slide the spare over to drop a 20# propane tank up there as well. You would have to have a ton of self control to keep the tongue weight in check. It's no wonder they had frame issues. Shipping and weight constraints seemed to have a higher priority than they should have.

I looked hard at these and for a few reasons I decided to pass, jury's still out on weather that was a good call or not. In the end, the Crux seemed to be a better idea as it was "ready to roll" from the get go. It's pretty much sorted, but it's a long way from perfect, they are both produced in PRC factories and come with all the issues that entails. Neither is perfect, but as a 50ish dude that remembers Smittybilt's "roll bars & bumpers" from the 80's that would dent if you looked at them hard, and rust before you could get them installed I just couldn't spend $5-6K on something with that logo attached.

I hope they take care of everyone who has invested in these, and it appears they are attempting to.

Reactions: jeepers29

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

I actually have one of the very first Smittybilt trailers sold. The tongue issue was fixed with a brace that was sent at no charge to us, I have zero complaints. It pulls great has way more features then any trailer in its price range I could find.

2vzmnqApSJqsCJt_ABwBsQ.jpeg

Reactions: Roam Wild Overland

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

When I get home from work I will take a picture of the bottom of the tongue but I am curious about the frame issue. Our trailer is from earlier this year but I am wondering if older models are actually built different...does anyone have picture of the steel frame under the tongue. Again I’ll get a pic when I get home and we can compare.

CementTaco

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hey, all! I, too, have been getting bits of details on the upcoming and much-anticipated Smittybilt re-bilt trailers in a container right now. According to the sales reps at OK4WD in Western NJ, the container is one of two due in soon with the first load of redesigned units. According tot he Smittybilt rep, they are due to land in CA soon and once they clear customs and are inspected for quality by Smittybilt, pending orders will be filled and there is expected to be enough leftover which are unallocated / available to order. We've done a bunch of online research and have decided that, for the budget, we're comfortable going with the Scout trailer as our first trailer for a multitude of reasons:
1) very budget friendly
2) DIY - I plan to build it myself and will be better able to modify it if I know it through and through from building it.
3) I can order it without wheels.

....except that the news is that the new trailers will come with a VIN plate and as a result are not likely to be available without wheels any longer.

I've paid a 50% deposit and have been told to expect it by the end of May 2019.