Smittybilt Scout Redesign Coming 2019

• HTML tutorial

CZHipster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South West Florida
Member #

I've been trying to order one of these trailer kits since July. I don't know if anybody else has noticed that it's impossible to nail any vendor down on a delivery date. I just had a conversation today with a manufacturer and the new date for delivery is first quarter of next year. That's February/March of 2019. The reason for the delay and lack of inventory is that the trailer is being redesigned! I have no other information than that but for me it was good to know that they are working on improving the product and releasing it in the spring. I'll wait, I don't think there's a better value in the industry. I'm pretty excited to see what new features of improvements they offer on version 2.0.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Not to try and sell you on any product, and I have no affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer, but Justin @Anchor Mtn builds a very nice trailer, and he has a newer version that is very similar to the Smittybilt trailer, but is a little more customizeable. And I think a better value for the money too.
I don't know his time frame for build-out but give him a shout to see if there's anything he could do for you.

That Scout was very high on my list, I looked at it early on, then they changed the design, took a lot of cool things out of it all in the name of cost reduction, which I don't mind, but still the MSRP was higher than promised AND with a lot less content.

FWIW. Dan.

CZHipster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South West Florida
Member #

Thank you very much for the information! I've been doing a lot of research over a long period of time and haven't found a better value for the money than the Smittybilt. I had not heard of this particular company, though, and I will contact them tomorrow. The website does not seem to have a lot of information, but I'll find out soon enough.

Not to try and sell you on any product, and I have no affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer, but Justin @Anchor Mtn builds a very nice trailer, and he has a newer version that is very similar to the Smittybilt trailer, but is a little more customizeable. And I think a better value for the money too.
I don't know his time frame for build-out but give him a shout to see if there's anything he could do for you.

That Scout was very high on my list, I looked at it early on, then they changed the design, took a lot of cool things out of it all in the name of cost reduction, which I don't mind, but still the MSRP was higher than promised AND with a lot less content.

FWIW. Dan.

Reactions: Tim N Michele Davis

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Thanks for the mention @VCeXpedition.

We will not be taking on any more orders for trailers in 2019. We will only be doing a limited run of complete trailers next year because Im trying to get some NEW stuff built and tested so I can bring some more cool gear to the industry. I have to make time for more real world offroad testing. I know, poor me.... off to Moab, AGAIN.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Ill give my new trailer some real world offload testing! That is when I get it.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I've been trying to order one of these trailer kits since July. I don't know if anybody else has noticed that it's impossible to nail any vendor down on a delivery date. I just had a conversation today with a manufacturer and the new date for delivery is first quarter of next year. That's February/March of 2019. The reason for the delay and lack of inventory is that the trailer is being redesigned! I have no other information than that but for me it was good to know that they are working on improving the product and releasing it in the spring. I'll wait, I don't think there's a better value in the industry. I'm pretty excited to see what new features of improvements they offer on version 2.0.
Be careful there is a reason they are re-designing the trailer. I would wait till they are proven to be better than the original.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
What's the reason?
I don't know the specific reason but several people have shown pictures of tongue failures where it meets the frame at the front of the main box.
We came close to getting one, it has all the features I wanted but a good friend talked us out of it. There were several at Overland Expo West this year and everyone I talked to loved theirs.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I don't know the specific reason but several people have shown pictures of tongue failures where it meets the frame at the front of the main box.
We came close to getting one, it has all the features I wanted but a good friend talked us out of it. There were several at Overland Expo West this year and everyone I talked to loved theirs.
I've seen one and it looked like a missed weld. Where were the others posted? @Ryan Matthes has one and loves it

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I've seen one and it looked like a missed weld. Where were the others posted? @Ryan Matthes has one and loves it
Ill try to find the posts, the local 4wheel parts store in Sacramento had pictures he showed us when we went there to look at one. Thats were we got the re-design/engineering info.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Ill try to find the posts, the local 4wheel parts store in Sacramento had pictures he showed us when we went there to look at one. Thats were we got the re-design/engineering info.
I wonder if those folks had been exceeding tongue weight limits. I find most folks don't understand how to balance a load on a trailer. You can always tell when some guys trailer is all squirelly behind his tuck. lol

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I wonder if those folks had been exceeding tongue weight limits. I find most folks don't understand how to balance a load on a trailer. You can always tell when some guys trailer is all squirelly behind his tuck. lol
That exactly what I thought also. I was going to get one and just beef up the part that seemed to fail.

Reactions: TacocaT

CZHipster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South West Florida
Member #

Although my sample size is small I have never communicated with an actual owner who was not happy with the trailer. I cannot speak for the failures, I have never presonally heard of one. It's hard to beat getting the trailer kit for 5k and slapping on some 5 x 5.5 wheels and tires from Craigslist. I'm all in for $5300.00. I wish I had 20k for a turtleback, I just can't pull it off right now. I can only assume that the redesign will incorporate improvements based on real world customer feedback. I am optimistic.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/smittybilt-scout-trailer-reviews.174189/

In the last few pages of this thread there's some good info on the failures that started happening with the trailers. It seems it was a combination of a not awesome design, with some welds that were ground completely flush, and also didn't have complete penetration. Seemed to me from my research that the issues were pretty limited to a single run of trailers, and smittybilt made some future design changes, as well as making it right for owners that had concerns or failures. Seemed that smittybilt fixed everything quickly.

I've done a lot of reading on trailers this year, and my wife and I are pretty set on getting a smittybilt scout. @Kent my plan was the same as yours. Just beef up the points that need it. The fact that the entire trailer design is changing is making me doubt my plan though. No big deal, we're not getting a trailer for at least another year or so.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/smittybilt-scout-trailer-reviews.174189/

In the last few pages of this thread there's some good info on the failures that started happening with the trailers. It seems it was a combination of a not awesome design, with some welds that were ground completely flush, and also didn't have complete penetration. Seemed to me from my research that the issues were pretty limited to a single run of trailers, and smittybilt made some future design changes, as well as making it right for owners that had concerns or failures. Seemed that smittybilt fixed everything quickly.

I've done a lot of reading on trailers this year, and my wife and I are pretty set on getting a smittybilt scout. @Kent my plan was the same as yours. Just beef up the points that need it. The fact that the entire trailer design is changing is making me doubt my plan though. No big deal, we're not getting a trailer for at least another year or so.
I ended up getting a different trailer but I look forward to seeing the changes Smittybilt makes

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Thanks for the info... I ordered one @ 4 weeks ago. I had not received any shipping info and tried to get a date or who would be delivering.. I was told I would be contacted by trucking company directly and they had no way to track a date. I am pretty disappointed and I had inquired as to delivery prior to purchase and the "Chat" did not say there was any issue with delivery " they were in stock" Hummm. They certainly did not hesitate to charge the credit card.. I have a bunch of upgrades/mods that I have conceptually designed to outfit and this is not good news..

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks for the info... I ordered one @ 4 weeks ago. I had not received any shipping info and tried to get a date or who would be delivering.. I was told I would be contacted by trucking company directly and they had no way to track a date. I am pretty disappointed and I had inquired as to delivery prior to purchase and the "Chat" did not say there was any issue with delivery " they were in stock" Hummm. They certainly did not hesitate to charge the credit card.. I have a bunch of upgrades/mods that I have conceptually designed to outfit and this is not good news..
Can you keep us up date with the order, I am very curious to see if they are shipping now. I saw an add for the new one flash up on an email from 4wheel parts but I didn't see if they were in stock.

Good luck!

McGrizzly

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
McGraw
Member #

100% agree. There is not a lot connecting the front tongue to the rest of the trailer.

We love ours but in an upgrade version perhaps the ability to customize it more would be a lot more useful.
I would imagine the next version would be more bare, and probably have a stronger subframe because of it.

I have said it before, but if you are close to the bay area and want to make it to the coast feel free to come check ours out...

Reactions: Kent R

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

I got a partial replay on the delivery of Scout Trailers, but not if there are any changes and what they will be.. I plan to follow up today. Here is the reply:
Ashley
Mon, 10/29/18 12:32 pm

Thank you for your patience. I apologize for the delay on your order. I contacted Smittybilt directly. They informed me that they are expecting that item in by late December/ early January. Once they receive shipment in, they will start shipping out the orders. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Reactions: Kent R

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

There are ZERO in stock nationwide with an expected first shipment to customers in February.
The only part number available right now is the "kit" without tires and wheels and a MSRP of $4999.

Reactions: MA_Trooper