Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baldwin Park, CA, USA
First Name
Ramiro
Last Name
Vargas
Member #

I refill the disposable 1lb tanks, have not had a issue. They fill up to around 80% with a $5 adapter i got at walmart (said it was specifically for 1lb cans)
I’ve been able to get close to that if I put them in the freezer for an hour ahead of time. At ambient temperature, you might get 50%.
Yes i do freeze for 1 hour... i try to fill 1 or 2 from my 5lb before i go top it off.

Reactions: Sparksalot

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Well thanks. Here’s the most important part, where the fire pit will go in the Pelican case with a little firewood:)

View attachment 216969

Obviously, I’m debating about adding a 5 lb vertical tank or extending the pipe to take one or two more 1 lb tanks. I really don’t want to add much to the height. I sure wish I could get a set of four 1 lb Flame Kings for under $100. That would be the best approach.
What is the deal about height? I don't understand.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
Well thanks. Here’s the most important part, where the fire pit will go in the Pelican case with a little firewood:)

View attachment 216969

Obviously, I’m debating about adding a 5 lb vertical tank or extending the pipe to take one or two more 1 lb tanks. I really don’t want to add much to the height. I sure wish I could get a set of four 1 lb Flame Kings for under $100. That would be the best approach.
Flame King Three 1 lb. Refillable Propane Cylinders with Refill Kit-YSN1LBKT-2CL - The Home Depot this is close

Reactions: Dairyland Overland

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

okay that is true. BUT some how still in stock in Utha at Home | Out N Back | Orem, Utah
after looking into this, have they cleared the recalls?
That link showed no results. I did recheck Amazon. Seems they do have the individual tanks in stock. Only $99 each! I do need to run a test to see how the new firepit does on the small tank. That may be a deciding factor. Maybe the Flame Kings will be more readily available by then.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
That link showed no results. I did recheck Amazon. Seems they do have the individual tanks in stock. Only $99 each! I do need to run a test to see how the new firepit does on the small tank. That may be a deciding factor. Maybe the Flame Kings will be more readily available by then.
Refillable Propane Canister - 000194056166 $18.99 I just order 4 and with shipping it was just under $100 bucks

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Update:

After deciding to go with the Camp Chef Portable Fire Pit, I decided 1 lb bottles were just going to be too small. I then came across a thread on another forum where someone transported a 5 lb tank in a spaghetti pot mounted on a roof rack. So, I came up with my own solution. I mounted two 8 qt cooking pots from WalMart (all of $9 each)

CB93BA90-C1CA-413E-A7FC-36B785397268.jpeg

to a 1” thick piece of wood using 1/4” stainless bolts. These bolts only keep the pots in place - the wood is anchored to the roof rack. The two 5 lb tanks are placed in the pots and then the pots are secured with straps that pass though eyes anchored directly to the steel roof rack through the wood. With this approach, the wood isn’t carrying any load as all the load goes directly into the roof rack. This past week, I drove over 650 miles on the interstate and there was no wind noise or issues with the straps coming loose. I had planned to go off roading, but an illness nixed those plans. Hopefully, I’ll get this off road soon.

C3D1B505-AB03-4F4E-809A-C7BE7803258C.jpeg
CF1A2509-1B99-4953-A822-3EE92E7B1C61.jpeg
475BE144-A346-4606-964E-C5E1FAFBAFD1.jpeg

0E258AE1-580E-4018-BE0F-D0EBBC845570.jpeg

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Update:

After deciding to go with the Camp Chef Portable Fire Pit, I decided 1 lb bottles were just going to be too small. I then came across a thread on another forum where someone transported a 5 lb tank in a spaghetti pot mounted on a roof rack. So, I came up with my own solution. I mounted two 8 qt cooking pots from WalMart (all of $9 each)

View attachment 226095

to a 1” thick piece of wood using 1/4” stainless bolts. These bolts only keep the pots in place - the wood is anchored to the roof rack. The two 5 lb tanks are placed in the pots and then the pots are secured with straps that pass though eyes anchored directly to the steel roof rack through the wood. With this approach, the wood isn’t carrying any load as all the load goes directly into the roof rack. This past week, I drove over 650 miles on the interstate and there was no wind noise or issues with the straps coming loose. I had planned to go off roading, but an illness nixed those plans. Hopefully, I’ll get this off road soon.

View attachment 226096
View attachment 226097
View attachment 226098

View attachment 226102
On your way to the crab boil!

• Haha
Reactions: Tundracamper

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Nice! I love the way you are thinking.... I use a 13.8 gal tank that fits in a milk crate works great. Fits above or below.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I second the refilling of the 1 lb tanks. Get an air fitting screw driver tool then you can top them off. Freezing them first does help to get more propane into them. Then when they warm up, they have more pressure to push the gas out.

Reactions: Desert Runner

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
I was on the big superstore in the sky (amazon), and found a bunch of connectors for propane tanks with gauges in them, how good are these for accuracy?
I would say they are accurate enough to have a good idea. Not like you would know to the last drop but you'd have a good idea where you are at with your propane and know if you need to start cutting back on use in the middle of a trip.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Update:

View attachment 226095

View attachment 226096
View attachment 226097
View attachment 226098

View attachment 226102
well hot damn. If that aint cool. thank you for sharing that.