Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

Hello All,
Intro about me:
This will be where ill update you guys with my version of a camping/overland truck. This story has already been going for over a year so ill attempt to backdate with everything I've done to the truck since owning it and continue to update as progress happens. I would eventually like to start dabbling in filming and documenting my upgrades and adventures. I've been focused on my work and house for too many years and I want to get back out there and slow down life and soak in the views. Just recently had my first child (Nov 21') and frankly I cant teach him the ways of being a man by never leaving the house. So I better leave the house first and figure out what I'm doing before I drag him with me lol.

The Truck when purchased in Jan 21'
2013 Ford F-150 Raptor CrewMax
129k miles on the clock
King 3.0 coil overs
Method NV Matte Black Wheels
37" BFG K02
Snugtop XTR Camper Shell

Note: Not the best at taking pictures. Most of these were taken for my own personal documentation and did not have build thread quality in mind. So moving forward I will try to take better pictures for you all. But this first post is basically the forsale ad pictures.DriverSide Front.jpgDriver Side.jpgDriver Rear.jpgRear View.jpgRear Passenger Low View.jpgPassenger Side View.jpg

Last edited:

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

So, first thing to do was take care of the rust! This was apparently a Nebraska truck and well....midwest rust came with it down to Texas. Thankfully I was buying it from a guy that worked at a bodyshop.
Cab Corners.jpgFront Passenger Fender.jpgMirror Caps.jpgRear Driver Side Door.jpgGetting Sprayed.jpgTorn Apart.jpg

Last edited:

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

Maintenance has begun! 129k on a truck is probably not the best starting place for a drive anywhere reliably truck lol.....I am a sucker for punishment I guess.

Started with changing out ALL the fluids to Amsoil. I am a dealer and have been using it in all my cars for 15 years.

Replaced the rear diff cover with a Ford Performance cover for easy of changing and filling and it just looks cool (sorry, didnt get a picture of that)

Greased the slip yoke as well to eliminate that ford clunk. Why they don't have a zerk I don't know but some cuss words came out during that.

Did the Fuse 27 fix to avoid any fuel pump failures

Installed JLT air oil separators for driver and passenger side because overkillNew Fluids.jpgFuse 27 Fix.jpgJLT Driver Side A-O Seperator 1.jpgJLT Driver Side A-O Seperator 6 Done.jpgJLT Passenger Side 1.jpgJLT Passenger Side 3 Finished, Showing Line Configuration.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmicm13

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

Per mandate of the Raptor community, I had to take a drive to Starbucks and the mall. I couldn't commit to Starbucks and this was the closest thing to the mall that my truck was going to.hauling wood.jpg

Last edited:

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

So, I guess this is an Overlanding community let me get back on track with something more Overlandy. Audio isn't necessarily an upgrade but while i was installing Ram mounts and power for my devices I upgraded the speakers while I was up there.
The Ram mount looking USB/USB-C power modules are from ICS Fabrication. They're pretty slick and if you have a mounting plate for ram mounts they really make for a clean setup, I had them in my Tundra as well. Through a GoPro up there to experiment. That is a work in progress. I was hoping to use it as a dash cam but it doesn't work very well for that. I'm working on getting a different mount to install a second GoPro so I can have cab view and forward facing view for time lapse.Figureing out Placement.jpgMounting Configuration.jpgThat will do.jpgModifing the mount for a bigger speaker.jpgRam Mount Installed.jpgRam Mount Final.jpg

Last edited:

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

Installed a hood vinyl. Typically these trucks already have them but mine did not. In anticipation for roof lights I decided to put one back on the truck. I also like the aesthetics.Hood 1.jpgHood 2.jpg

Last edited:

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

I'm not sure where I'm at in my timeline maybe Aug 21'?
The BFG's were getting fairly bald and one of them was leaking. So naturally I had to go tire shopping! Also decided to switch up the wheels since Method NV's seem to be the go to for everybody it seems like.
Tires I chose to go out of my comfort zone and went off of youtuber reviews. That's a scary thought.

Milestar Patagonia MT 37x12.5R17LT
Fifteen52 Turbomac HD 17x8.5 +0mm
Also chose to go with Balance beads instead of weights

A lot of firsts with this.

Method Front.jpgMethod Side.jpgMethod Passenger.jpgFifteen52 Front.jpgFifteen52 Side.jpgFifteen52 Rear.jpg

Last edited:

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

I don't think much happened until Jan 22' since the wheels.

So this past week I sold the camper shell. I didn't like the aesthetics of it, the front window didn't latch, the rear door latched only on one side, it leaked a little, you can see where i'm going with this. Was time for a change.No Campershell.jpg

Last edited:

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

The REAL reason I sold the camper shell was I fell into a stupid cheap deal on a Leitner rack, Tent and decked storage system.
I picked this rack up from non other than Demolition Ranch from Youtube! Unfortunately it was shot show and I didn't get to meet him lol. While picking up the rack and tent there was a fellow overlander selling the decked system. His name is @Lonestarrigg at least on instagram. Not sure if he's on here or just the Texas overland Facebook group but it was nice meeting a community friend.Day 1 Decked and Leitner.jpgRoost First Opening 1.jpg

Last edited:

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

So previous post you see it all torn out of the truck. Everything was getting a pressure washing and I was taking inventory of what else I need to buy and order to finish loading out the bed properly. As you can see in the pictures I attached, the Leitner rack is bent a little from improper storage and neglect, so this weekend its all coming off to try and get bent back into shape a little and re-squared on the truck. New hardware, brackets, and misc. accessories have been ordered.

The Decked system has a few holes that need silicone to attempt to make it a little more water resistant.

Also picking up a XL Gear pod this weekend as well.

Just another reminder, I've posted a lot of pictures, non of which have been outdoors camping related, this past year has been super busy. My wife was pregnant for most of it and our house was quite literally being destroyed as we were remolding it ourselves. So other than basic maintenance and cosmetics the truck has been on back burner until more recently. Now that i'm a father a spark has been ignited to get this truck in tip top shape and start taking the family camping.
Leitner Rack Bent Front.jpgLeitner Rack Bent Rear.jpgLeitner Rack Missing Bracket.jpg

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Cool build/thread, but it'd be much more enjoyable to follow along if you embed the pics into your posts, rather than just attaching them.

-TJ

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

Cool build/thread, but it'd be much more enjoyable to follow along if you embed the pics into your posts, rather than just attaching them.

-TJ
Thanks for the feedback, I may spend some time going back through and fixing that if I can

Reactions: tjZ06

Slo4x4

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Rosenberg, TX, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Moser
Member #

-TJ
Seems to be an easy fix but now i feel like the pictures are way to big lol. I cant win

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Seems to be an easy fix but now i feel like the pictures are way to big lol. I cant win
I suppose not everyone will agree, but I like it that way so as I scroll through the thread I see all the pics w/o having to click on each one (or click and swipe through them). But, that's just my $0.02 and with inflation these days it ain't worth much! ;)

-TJ

Reactions: Jmicm13 and Slo4x4