Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Great day out at Rock Front Ranch (near Santa Maria CA) with some folks from a few different local off road clubs. This whole area has roads that link up. I’m going to have to pack more fuel and come back. (Sorry east coast and northern folks for the mid January 76 degree pictures) 769436B8-4CF7-42BF-A88E-3DE1F0DF0636.jpeg 98C6CD93-4291-4D14-B507-55A9B6BC2653.jpeg

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Me, Jerry the Wonderdog, and @GoldenStateAdv.com and his ridiculously cool Power Wagon, went out to a California Condor lookout (and surrounding fun trails) yesterday. Perfect weather, amazing views. Lots and lots of trails to go explore more out here. If anyone is ever visiting the central coast near San Luis Obispo, we would be happy to take you out here.

2trucks.jpg Condor lkt.jpg Jerry.jpg PW1.jpg T4R.jpg unnamed.jpg

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Spent two nights with my boys and my fiance at Santa Margarita Lake. GREAT trip. Me and @SLOCeeCee are starting to really want to get out farther and into more dispersed camping. This numbered spot stuff is still really fun, but we're starting to want more peace. We also rented a small boat and tooled around the lake a bit. Really pretty place.

Margtruck.jpgMarglake.jpg

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

IMG_2512.jpg

While the mileage climbs nearer to 200k, I keep thinking of modifications I'd like to do. I don't really need any! So many wants, and the 3rd gen payload is very small. Getting better at thinking about weight and what it can do to my truck. If anyone knows someone thinking about getting into overlanding, show them this. Its simple. Parts worldwide. Ok mileage. Can make it into a two seater with a sleeper. Rear locker/good tires...you're really good to go. My biggest desire right now? I don't really have any NEEDS. Love this thing.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

flanate89

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ormond beach
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Just went thru your whole thread here, very nice modest build and like you said simple. I’m curious, are you still running the 265’s ? I’ve been running 285’s and have thought about doing the unthinkable (to some) and going down to 265. I’ve got the 4xinnovations front and rear bumpers coming and I think it’s going to bring the body down a little bit and I rub as it is. Sure I could do a body lift but I don’t want to. Plus the 265 is a bit cheaper. I just did an axle swap for a locker with 4.10 Gears, it goes pretty good with the 285 but I feel the 265 would be all around better for a “touring” style rig. Thanks and good looking rig

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Just went thru your whole thread here, very nice modest build and like you said simple. I’m curious, are you still running the 265’s ? I’ve been running 285’s and have thought about doing the unthinkable (to some) and going down to 265. I’ve got the 4xinnovations front and rear bumpers coming and I think it’s going to bring the body down a little bit and I rub as it is. Sure I could do a body lift but I don’t want to. Plus the 265 is a bit cheaper. I just did an axle swap for a locker with 4.10 Gears, it goes pretty good with the 285 but I feel the 265 would be all around better for a “touring” style rig. Thanks and good looking rig
Yeh, still 265. I just don't feel it has enough power to spin a bigger tire!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Next week some overdue maintenance. In about 5 years, the Rancho extended shocks are rusty and the front lower bushings don’t even resemble rubber anymore. My truck is creaky! Further inspection showed metal on metal rubbing. So I’m goin with a Whiteline kit and Bilsteins up front to keep this thing going. I really should check all the rubber bushing wherever they are and chip away at replacing them all.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Just kinda happened upon this thread... Looks like you hit up a bunch of the cool spots down around SLO. I haven't explored a bunch of those trails in a LONG time, but they are fun! Your post and pics of the Rock Front OHV area really bring back some memories when I lived in Santa Barbara/Goleta for school and would find myself exploring up in the mountains a lot. Eventully I flopped my truck onto roof on the Big Rocks trail out there, after a little too much hoonage, which lead to me getting a Jeep and really taking an interest in 4x4 and off road skills to improve my driving in those situations.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Just kinda happened upon this thread... Looks like you hit up a bunch of the cool spots down around SLO. I haven't explored a bunch of those trails in a LONG time, but they are fun! Your post and pics of the Rock Front OHV area really bring back some memories when I lived in Santa Barbara/Goleta for school and would find myself exploring up in the mountains a lot. Eventully I flopped my truck onto roof on the Big Rocks trail out there, after a little too much hoonage, which lead to me getting a Jeep and really taking an interest in 4x4 and off road skills to improve my driving in those situations.
No! Too much hoonage is no good. At least you got into it more after that. Rock Ranch was a really cool place I need to explore more. But, I just found a trail up above Ojai and I really want to get there soon! ...that and West Cielo up off San Marcos Pass. There's lots around here, but you do have to look.

Reactions: rho

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

So I took my T4R in for Whiteline bushings and Bilsteins in the front. I'm not too much of a wrench turner yet, so I took it to a new off-road mechanic shop in my town. I thought I'd do the front now, and save up for the rear later as it held up better. But, another 3rd gen was in there at the same time and the shop made a mistake and did both the front and rear. Whiteline bushings all around and Bilsteins too. The guy that runs the shop actually saw the humor in it and ate his costs down to his estimate for half. So! My truck, who's about to hit 200k now feels like it's a nimble teenager.
Next up is some custom work to lower my rack closer to the roof, further work on drawers/platform solution, and maybe, just maybe...paint!

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
No! Too much hoonage is no good. At least you got into it more after that. Rock Ranch was a really cool place I need to explore more. But, I just found a trail up above Ojai and I really want to get there soon! ...that and West Cielo up off San Marcos Pass. There's lots around here, but you do have to look.
West (and East) Camino Cielo are fun drives, the hot springs down there are fun places to check out as well. I think there is some road work on the east side going on for a while, but there are some great out of the way places out there to check out!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

West (and East) Camino Cielo are fun drives, the hot springs down there are fun places to check out as well. I think there is some road work on the east side going on for a while, but there are some great out of the way places out there to check out!
Can you camp up there? I’d love to wake up with that view.