Oregon
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Jaquith
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7LDA
The best and most creative?

I think that having a king size memory foam mattress on top of my jeep is pretty creative and I sleep great.

Cue the roof top tent haters......

Reactions: FishinCrzy

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I don’t know about creative, but over the years we have used, styrofoam pads, then an air mattress, then cots with styrofoam pads, then high end cots with roll up mattress. All these things in pretty much that order. Our sleeping bag preferences have evolved through the decades as well. Of all I’ve owned, I really like our Big Agnes bags with slide in air pads, atop 2” of gel-foam mattress, within the canvas & insulated flooring of our roof top tent. Before anyone begins to think “glamping” think how you might be camping off grid in the back country when you are 68 and your companion 65 years young. Comfort began getting high on the list about 3 years ago. My wife and I sleep like the dead, even in severe weather conditions. Back packing is a different thing altogether and we are back to bags & pads without the mattress.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Depends on conditions. The rooftop tent is incredible, although I really want to upgrade to a hardshell wedge to simplify things. I'm also quite content stuffing some Relfectix panels over the windows and sleeping in the passenger seat when temps are mild enough.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
Cot under the stars or awning. Not creative but simple, fast and effective. Of course this all changes if the family is along.
View attachment 234906
I’d love this, but we have prehistoric sized mosquitoes down here that will carry you off to your doom

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I’d love this, but we have prehistoric sized mosquitoes down here that will carry you off to your doom
Allow me to introduce princess fairy tale castle mode ;)
We had bad mosquitoes the first couple nights last weekend and then, as we moved North, they cleared up. Did not want to haul a tent so I gave the bug net a whirl and it worked out very well. The camp pictured was particularly infested and the net kept them out.

IMG_7039.jpeg

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
We had bad mosquitoes the first couple nights last weekend and then, as we moved North, they cleared up. Did not want to haul a tent so I gave the bug net a whirl and it worked out very well. The camp pictured was particularly infested and the net kept them out.

View attachment 234908
Solid, but our mosquitoes will eat the netting just to come eat you. Lol.

Ultimately, it’s really hard to camp in the summer down here. Can’t gain elevation to escape the heat and humidity, can’t escape the mosquitoes. If gas wasn’t absurd, traveling to a higher elevation wouldn’t be a problem, but we all know the current situation

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

View attachment 234908
Thinking about an awning with mosquito net walls. For now we sleep in a ground tent or in the bed of my truck inside the Leer camper shell

Reactions: Ubiety

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I camped onthe roof of my truck before RTT's were even invented.

Grab my bag and pad, and walk right up the windshield.

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

queen size inflatable mattress. fill it using the jackery. all inside the gazelle tent.