Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am out in the west and travel a lot in Baja. most night It's under the stars on top of a Thrermarest mondo 3d pad, I'll outside, the tent if the bugs are bad.

Last edited:

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
In a hammock, 25 ft off the ground, next to my tree stand, on an archery deer hunt! Getting up to pee was tricky!

Reactions: OcoeeG

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I slept in a ground tent until I discovered RTTs and I'll never go back unless the situation warrants it. Sleeping in my RTT is as comfortable as sleeping in my bed at home. I too am looking to upgrade my softshell RTT to a hardshell RTT.

Reactions: Ubiety

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
We now use a RTT mounted on a dedicated trailer most times. We love it! Wife, kid, dog and myself all think it is extra cozy up there.

On our recent Boundary Waters canoe trip it was back to the ground tent, but it was like visiting an old friend again. Lots of good memories laying/playing in our tent escaping from skeeters or rain.

Reactions: Ubiety

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm an RTT guy, but I sleep okay in a good cot as well. I got a heavy-duty big guy model a few years back. I use it when staying with family and occasionally bring it along for lounging in camp or stargazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Wolf 1965

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I tented for years and was quite happy doing that, basically on an air mattress or cot. If I want to take minimal "stuff" I'm fine with sleeping in the back of my Cherokee XJ on a sleep pad. If I want to take more stuff, I like my RTT on an off road trailer I built. With an interior space of 4' x 6'6" it's good for one person. I wouldn't consider putting my RTT on top of my Cherokee. At my age it's a long way up and a longer way down with a potentially hard landing.

20210811_195454.jpg22-05-15 1.JPG

Attachments

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I used to sleep in the back of my XJ as well. With the front seats slid all the way forward, the rear seat back removed, and the footwell filled, there's a surprising amount of room!
I agree. Generally speaking, I think a 4 dr. XJ is better for overlanding/camping. Mine is a 2 dr. and I wasn't sure about that first. The interior dimensions are the same for 2 & 4 drs. but the 4 drs. are much better for accessing "stuff". For getting in and out though the 2 drs. with almost 10" longer doors are great. For sleeping I go in head first from the passengers side with the seat fully forward as you say. I leave my rear footwell empty on that side and have plenty of room for sitting up, putting on shoes, etc.

The pic above also shows the air vents I made for the doors. Basically roll them down to about half way, insert them and roll them up. They provide about 90 sq. in. of screened air space which helps to keep things comfortable on the inside.

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Single seat XJ. Pretty much the best budget way into this hobby.
Except for 5-7 yrs. I've owned XJs (3) since the first one I bought a new 4 dr. in 1990. I'm "old" and don't see anything changing. Mine above is a 1989 2 dr. Limited (hard to come by). I'm not sure if it qualifies for vintage camping but it probably will when I'm done with it. I'll be "done" by then too. :disappointed:

I've never "single-seated" this one but I have with my LJ for solo trips. They are great Jeeps and the TJ guys love the extra space of the TJ Unlimited (an LJ). Most of them have never owned an XJ though! :blush:

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have a 1960 Land Rover 109, 6'+ in the tub. I made a cot to roll out from the side for single me and 1 night campsites.

Then I picked up a RTT, My rack is 7' off the ground and I had to climb up and down the bonnet and windscreen 3 times everytime I set up or stowed the RTT. PIA! So I made a second cot for "guests". GF at the time did the sewing.

Finally had to make some adjustments to the set up;

Like any cot it's comfy and warm with a pad and the right sleeping system.

For when I am having a base camp I use my OZ Tent RV3 and a cot inside. I used this set up when evacuated for the CZU fire a couple years ago.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Allow me to introduce princess fairy tale castle mode ;)
We had bad mosquitoes the first couple nights last weekend and then, as we moved North, they cleared up. Did not want to haul a tent so I gave the bug net a whirl and it worked out very well. The camp pictured was particularly infested and the net kept them out.

View attachment 234908
we do a similar thing for our outdoor showering at our cabin lol almost exactly the same set up but with a stock tank lol.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I finally broke down and got a gazelle t4 and a cot. I had my rig working at an offroad even for 4 days so I figured a little extra comfort wouldn't hurt.
I am going to need to build a rack or trailer just to haul the thing though lol. Luckily we had good weather for the event and just strapped it to the roll cage.

Attachments

Reactions: OBB and PCO6

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
I finally broke down and got a gazelle t4 and a cot. I had my rig working at an offroad even for 4 days so I figured a little extra comfort wouldn't hurt.
I am going to need to build a rack or trailer just to haul the thing though lol. Luckily we had good weather for the event and just strapped it to the roll cage.
How do you like the tent?