Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

I for one can't sleep in a mummy bag because I sleep at funny angles. Does anyone know of an extra wide bag that does well in cold weather.

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

I for one can't sleep in a mummy bag because I sleep at funny angles. Does anyone know of an extra wide bag that does well in cold weather.
LOL! I know exactly what you mean. I used to be able to sleep in a mummy, but in my old age, I just leave it unzipped, so my legs can move. Plus, my Mtn Hw bag is so warm, i need the ventilation.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I have 3 of the Teton sports 0 degree bags. They are plenty big and very warm. If you got one right hand zip and 1 left hand zip you could zip them up together forming 1 big bag. That's what the wife and I do when we go camping together...

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Look into Big Agnes. They make big square foot bags that integrate with a sleeping pad. I don't have one, but have heard nothing but good things.

-M

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

The bag I have is the Grizzly Whistlers sleeping bag, it is rated down to -40, but weighs a lot (20 lbs). It is extremely comfortable, just a pain to lug around.

Reactions: RaggedViking

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Being 6'4 I understand trying to find a sleeping bag you actually fit in. I just got this one and LOVE it, its 90 inches long so I fit with room to spare and its wide enough that I can almost spread out in it. It also is super warm. I went out and it got to around 35 degrees at night and I was just in basketball shorts and a sweatshirt and I was plenty warm. Also, the price is really nice. The only thing I dont like is that the inside isnt actually flannel like I thought.

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Sleeping-Weather-Camping-Hunting/dp/B00A4VLG6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480443930&sr=8-1&keywords=teton+hunter

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

I have a Teton ( cant remember which one) that's rated to 0 degrees. It has worked good down to 12 degrees. The one bad thing I suppose is that 35 degrees and up it's to hot.

Toyotadirtdevil

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Carmichael, California
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Nantz
Member #

Definitely looking for a rectangular bag. I have a flannel lined coleman bag now and froze my butt off on my last trip to the desert.
Thank you for all the great answers.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
The Army's 3 piece sleep system will forever hold a place in my heart

Hot? Use the lighter shell
Cold? Use the thicker shell
Colder? Both
Wet? Waterproof shell

It has never let me down
This.

Of all the terrible pieces of government-contract acquired equipment I've used over the years, the standard issue army sleep system is not one of them.

With the combination of the light (or patrol) bag, heavy bag, and bivouac sac, I once slept in a 3 foot deep snow bank and awoke no worse for the wear. Anyone who's ever been to Fort Drum knows what I'm talking about.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Definitely looking for a rectangular bag. I have a flannel lined coleman bag now and froze my butt off on my last trip to the desert.
Thank you for all the great answers.
You might also consider a quilt, but they can be pricey for good down. Alternatively, I sometimes use my mummy bag which is a 3/4 zip as a quilt and there is more than enough room (I'm 6'4 210 lbs). @John had a good suggestion too, can't go wrong with military surplus for the price.

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

A friend of mine had the same problem, he now uses a carp fishing sleeping bag. It came as a system with a cot to. It is bulky and will take up a lot of room in your rig.

Reactions: p8ntbill2

pdxplorer15

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, OR
Member #

p8ntbill2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lake, MI, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Burley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
A friend of mine had the same problem, he now uses a carp fishing sleeping bag. It came as a system with a cot to. It is bulky and will take up a lot of room in your rig.

Do they come with the cot also?
Thanks, Bill

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I was looking at the Browning McKinley -30 bag the other day on Amazon It gets amazingly good reviews and seems to be very roomy. I would link but unfortunately the link refuses to display properly.