Sleeping Bags

• HTML tutorial

mase001

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

It's amazing how thin some of these bags have gotten. The development of insulation has advanced almost as quickly as the advancement in battery tech. I picked up a couple LaFuma bags. Forget the number right now but they are amazing for the price and size. They aren't overly insulated for cold weather. I think they're 35 degree but they're slightly bigger than can of coke and slightly smaller than a loaf of bread. They're very comfie in 50 degree weather. Weight was an issue when I bought them and I don't need 15 degree bags so these worked perfectly. They're way better than the big roll up ones I had as a kid and those were huge hahaha!

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I'm sold on Mountain Hardware bags been using them for years. I have upset of a lot of people climbing out of bed in underwear warm when others are freezing in full gear. I also bought one for my daughter's boyfriend and he couldn't be happier with it as well. You just need to purchase the right bag for the temperatures and activity that you plan to use it for. Overlanding can afford a heavy bag but if you also plan to backpack with it a high tech light weight bag is well worth the cost.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

I have 16+ years in the Candian Army, we use a 3bag system similar to the US version. I can tell you one of the biggest mistakes people make is wearing to much clothing in their sleeping bags. During Winter Warfare training we actually recommend sleeping commando. If you can't do that, minimal clothing. As soon as you sweat, you freeze, and it's over.

I had a hard time convincing some Aussies of that when we climbed Kilimanjaro last year, but once they tried it, they were good to go for the rest of the trip.

Reactions: Sid and gandrimp

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I currently have 2 sleeping bags | Winter sleeping bag (folded out) is rated -25F | lightweight summer sleeping bag (rolled up) is rated +50F

View attachment 28843
I use a Teton Sports Celsius XXL and love it. Well, two of them actually, a left and a right so my dogs can be in there too when connected :)

If I'm alone I just use one bag for colder weather or an Ecopro warm weather bag kind of like what you have pictured. I actually sleep much better in cold/cooler conditions.

I do also have a 4 part surplus sleep system that I used once but it was just too bulky and complicated haha.

VagabondApril

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Golden, CO, USA
First Name
April
Last Name
Noriega
Member #

Service Branch
NOLS
I have 2-Western Mountaineering sleeping bags that are hands down the best. (1)-Alpinlite 20-degree bag and (1)-Versalite 10-degree. I hiked from Mexico to Canada in each. The 20-degree did very well in the Sierra Nevada mountain range with my NeoAir thermarest, and a Sea to Summit liner. I only used a tarp as my shelter with this setup along with my Icebreaker Merino wool base layer and Ghost Whisperer jacket as my sleep system.

The 10-degree bag was also used on another hike from Mexico to Canada, but on the Continental Divide, with a much higher elevation, specifically in the San Juans and Glacier. Same sleeping system as the 20-degree, but without the liner.

Each bag is relatively light weight, super cozy, and sturdy as hell. Made in America and the company is based out of Washington. I highly recommend Western Mountaineering for the quality, craftsmanship, functionality and customer service. I paid roughly 450-550 for each bag. Totally worth it.

-April

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Many many years ago we bought a pair of inexpensive bags from LL Bean. They served us very well, and still do, but as they are both rated at 35+ degrees. I thought it high time to invest in a pair of really really good bags as we were planning this southwest tour in March and early April.. After months of research and hand wringing I settled upon the Big Agnus line.. We bought the him and hers rated at 15 degrees. We also bought the therma-rest neo air inflatable pads, which as all the reviews stated, would make those bags live up to their 15 degree rating... The bags are extraordinarily comfortable and compress nicely for stowage in our trailer and in our backpacks, but 15 degrees ?? NOT,, we shivered our butts off at 22 degrees.. In all reality, the bags perform really well down to about 25.. We ended up buying a propane tent heater to aid us for those nights below 25.. I'm just a bit disappointed with Big Agnus..
Don't be disappointed in Big Agnus.. A general rule of thumb when selecting a tent is to find one that is rated 20 degrees lower than what you will actually use, specially if you are someone that sleeps dressed down in tshirt and shorts or less. The temp rating for "cold weather" bags are rated for what the average person will use wearing thermals.
https://www.backcountry.com/explore/warmth-to-the-wise-temperature-ratings-for-sleeping-bags-decoded

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Don't be disappointed in Big Agnus.. A general rule of thumb when selecting a tent is to find one that is rated 20 degrees lower than what you will actually use, specially if you are someone that sleeps dressed down in tshirt and shorts or less. The temp rating for "cold weather" bags are rated for what the average person will use wearing thermals.
https://www.backcountry.com/explore/warmth-to-the-wise-temperature-ratings-for-sleeping-bags-decoded
Interesting. There seems to be two schools of thought on the "how to stay warm" issue. Once in town I gave BA a call and it was explained to me, by their service rep, that wearing thermal long johns prevents your body from warming up the bag. While backpacking the Painted Desert in 20 degree nights we not only slept on the ground, but did stay warm without the long johns.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Interesting. There seems to be two schools of thought on the "how to stay warm" issue. Once in town I gave BA a call and it was explained to me, by their service rep, that wearing thermal long johns prevents your body from warming up the bag. While backpacking the Painted Desert in 20 degree nights we not only slept on the ground, but did stay warm without the long johns.
I sleep in shorts..if that in my sleeping bag when I camp, I am my own blast furnace. Typically though when picking a sleeping bag Ive always heard the normal person is going to want one that is 20 degrees colder rated than what they are actually going to sleep in. There's always going to be exceptions.

Reactions: Mike Q and MOAK

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

Many many years ago we bought a pair of inexpensive bags from LL Bean. They served us very well, and still do, but as they are both rated at 35+ degrees. I thought it high time to invest in a pair of really really good bags as we were planning this southwest tour in March and early April.. After months of research and hand wringing I settled upon the Big Agnus line.. We bought the him and hers rated at 15 degrees. We also bought the therma-rest neo air inflatable pads, which as all the reviews stated, would make those bags live up to their 15 degree rating... The bags are extraordinarily comfortable and compress nicely for stowage in our trailer and in our backpacks, but 15 degrees ?? NOT,, we shivered our butts off at 22 degrees.. In all reality, the bags perform really well down to about 25.. We ended up buying a propane tent heater to aid us for those nights below 25.. I'm just a bit disappointed with Big Agnus..
For a years I have looked for good constant performance bags. Cats Meow, MilSpec systems, Down bags etc... all, were great in short uses. Most failed in wet, or super hot weather, altitude sweats. Then I came across Wiggys at the suggestion of a buddy on an overseas trip. I bought a couple of his most extreme for traveling to north AK in the winter. These things are serious kit and I highly recommend them. These particular bags are heavy, and a bitch to get back into a stuff sack But in the times that I am dropped in, driving or just going to be out for extended periods, they are second to none. To boot, I get home and through them in a washing machine and air dry and they somehow seem to get better. With these I have slept in tents, vehicles, outside just on my wiggy's ground pads, and have never regretted the selection. On the Overland Expo, I used a OzTent Cot with a ground pad on it, then my bag and slept onto of them all in the over bag. My brother froze in his Cabelas gear, while I was thinking even the over bag is amazing. I have recently thought about buying lighter versions from him but the over-bag is really already fitting the bill for summer outings. Wiggys.com

Last edited: