Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Accessing the forums or even the main OB website has been very slow for the past few days. Using browser tools, the delay is waiting for a response from the web server, not sure if this is an issue with the web firewall service or the webserver hosting the site itself. See screenshot, browser spent 14 seconds waiting for a response.

Attachments

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Of course, I post this and it starts responding better.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Started one week ago on Saturday and has been apparent just about every day. Early mornings and evening are typically the worst with daytimes being just fine. Those incredibly specific timestamps are US Pacific timezone ;)

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Started one week ago on Saturday and has been apparent just about every day. Early mornings and evening are typically the worst with daytimes being just fine. Those incredibly specific timestamps are US Pacific timezone ;)
Man are you right on the money. That is exactly right.

This is a known issue. It will be resolved within the next few days.

More than you wanted to know:

The site is conducting backups - and even though this occurs at "off peak" hours - it is always peak for someone since its a 12h backup. We have a short term and long term fix for this. In the short term, we have a few levers to pull - you should see the issue resolved in the next day or so. In the longer term, (2 months), the site will be migrated to AWS and the backups will not impact the site.

This is all part of building a very robust service that is there for you at any time wherever your adventures take you.

Thank you for your patience!

M

Last edited:

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR

The site is conducting backups - and even though this occurs at "off peak" hours - it is always peak for someone since its a 12h backup. We have a short term and long term fix for this. In the short term, we have a few levers to pull - you should see the issue resolved in the next day or so. In the longer term, (2 months), the site will be migrated to AWS and the backups will not impact the site.

This is all part of building a very robust service that is there for you at any time wherever your adventures take you.

M
Awesome fast response, and thank you for listing both short and long term fixes:)

Reactions: Michael

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

M
I felt really bad for all y'all last Saturday when I first noticed it. Thought "someone is having a really bad weekend" ;) Been there, done that. Thanks for the update, figured you all knew about it so only mentioned once I saw others had brought it up. Computers suck and I do wish that I could sleep ;)

Edit - and THANKS to the entire staff for continuing to embetter OB!

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

M
I felt really bad for all y'all last Saturday when I first noticed it. Thought "someone is having a really bad weekend" ;) Been there, done that. Thanks for the update, figured you all knew about it so only mentioned once I saw others had brought it up. Computers suck and I do wish that I could sleep ;)

Edit - and THANKS to the entire staff for continuing to embetter OB!
Thank you for understanding!

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Thanks for the update, @Michael! Glad to know it's a known issue and folks are working on it, happy to deal with a short-term annoyance for a better long-term experience.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The slowdown is not apparent this morning. Thanks for adjusting the knobs and pulling the levers!

1652268239291.png