Single battery upgrade,fridge , winch etc..

• HTML tutorial

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Just what it says. I have a 2016 Tundra. I installed a Badlands 12k winch and an ICECO JP40 and I have some ditch/pod lights and will be adding a few more at a later date both outside and inside the bed. I have the fridge hard wired in and I put a secondary on/off toggle inline on the batt hot side. I want to upgrade my battery from stock and have considered the NorthStar agm. When I 1st installed the fridge, I left it on over the weekend, soo 52ish hrs. It wore the battery down, of course, to just barely starting the truck. I highly doubt I'll be sitting for that long to let that happen again. It was just a test to see how long it'd last..Soo, without dumping a grand or more just to run what I have, do you all think I'd be good with an agm upgrade and some type of quality jump box? I have thought about in the future of a possible easy type of solar set up that won't be a small fortune..But that may be late next summer or the following summer.. I want to keep this simple and user friendly. I DO NOT want to run a dual battery set up..Thoughts??

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Definitely go with an AGM. Keep in mind that being in the engine compartment is going to cut the life of the battery down (probably expect to replace every 3 years or so). A quality jump box will keep you from being stranded. This is the exact route I'm planning on going for my battery setup. Maybe consider getting a lithium power bank as well to run the fridge when you're stationary?

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Well seeing how I already have the wire run through the firewall from the battery to the switch, I'd rather not run a separate battery as I mentioned above.. and lithiums aren't within my price range..

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I wasn't talking about a secondary lithium battery. I was referring to picking up something like a jackery power station.

An agm battery will definitely run a fridge for a couple of days, and having a jump pack is a great backup in case the battery gets drained too far. A portable power station has some advantages though as well. I can be used to run pretty much anything within its constraints. They also usually have solar chargers built in, and generally with a 100w solar panel, can run a fridge indefinitely. A 250wh power station should give you a solid 24 hours of runtime on its own as well, and they're not super expensive.

Mine can run my wife and my cpaps for 3 full nights on a full charge. Granted, I bought 540Wh power station, and don't have solar yet. I charge it while driving through my auxiliary electrical system (that's still being built).

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Ahh.. Got ya now.. Sorry for misunderstanding..Actually, since I was dragging my feet, I missed out on a used Jackery 500.. I wish I would've bought that.. I knew about it being for sale before it got posted..Still considering one though.